The Girl Next Door

Chapter 45

*Kaleigh's POV*

Not long after we left the store, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and I froze for a moment, hoping yet dreading that it could be Niall. I felt a wave of mixed emotions when I saw it was a text from Harry.

'Done work. Wanna hang out?' It read. I looked over at my sister who was focused on her driving and wondered if she'd be okay with it.

"Hey, Lea, would it be okay if-"

"You ditched me to go hang out with your lover?" She finished for me.

"Well when you say it like that..." I trailed off and my sister rolled her eyes.

"Go have fun. But I'd suggest you find a smile to put on your face on our way home, you wouldn't wanna scare Harry away too now would you?" She teased and I forced a smile.

"Harry knows me for who I am, Lea. If I started to smile all the time THAT would scare him away." I joked back and that made her laugh. We small talked all the way home and when we got there, Harry was already waiting on our porch.

"Hey." I called out as I reached him. His smile was warm, and I was still getting used to it but the butterflies made it somehow easier to believe it was real.

"Missed me?" He teased. I didn't get a chance to answer before Lea joined us.

"Okay, lovebirds, I'm heading inside, go enjoy your friday night but don't do anything I wouldn't do!" She called out, walking towards the door without looking back or giving us a chance to respond. It made Harry chuckle, and I joined him before remembering what happened at the movie store.

"I bumped into Niall today." I muttered and I heard him sigh in frustration.

"When and where?" He asked in a dangerously quiet voice.

"Just now at the movie store."

"Of course." He muttered.

"We didn't talk if it makes you feel better."

"Why would that make me feel better?" He asked.

"I don't know. I'm guessing if I talked to the guy you got in a fight with you wouldn't be too thrilled with me." I answered. He scoffed.

"Okay, first of all, we didn't get in a fight. Fights include two people. I punched the guy and he didn't retaliate." He started to explain and I gave him a look.

"Don't look so guilty there." I said sarcastically.

"I don't have a reason to be." He smugly said and I rolled my eyes. "Anyway, I didn't come here to bicker with you, believe it or not."

"Why are you here then?" I asked, desperately trying to hide the smile that was threatening to fall on my lips. What was that boy turning me into?

"I wanna meet your family, Kaleigh." He said and my breath caught in my throat.