The Girl Next Door

Chapter 46

"You...you wanna meet my family?" I stuttered. He simply nodded his head. "But we just met! I mean...I mean..." It was safe to say I was freaking out.

"Okay, Williams, calm down." Harry soothed as he put his arms around me but kept me at safe distance, just enough to keep his eyes on me. "If you don't want to it's fine but I just-"

"You've met my sister." I pathetically said, interrupting his sentence and hoping that maybe this could be enough.

"I know, but I-"

"You do realize my dad's in prison and my mother's dead, right?" I snapped, still hysterical as I made Harry cringe with my choice of words.

"I heard the rumors." He answered. "I didn't know if they were true or not."

"So why would you want to visit a grave stone and a stranger behind bars? Do you think it'll bring you some sort of adrenaline rush?" I asked, getting offended by the situation.

"Of course not! There are, as a matter of fact, a few reasons why I brought this up." He said and I crossed my arms but my face impatiently showed up him I was waiting for him to continue. "First of all, I figured since you met the version of my dad only my family has grown accustomed to ..."

"So this is for revenge?"

"No! Will you just listen to me?!" He demanded, finally losing that nervous look he had and replaced it for an annoyed one. The second look suited him better anyway. "I just thought that maybe I could be a better shoulder to lean on if I knew a bit more on your background. You are a mystery, Kaleigh Williams. And there's nothing I would like more than to figure out everything that makes you...well, you. So I think your parents is a pretty good start."

"I don't know what to say." I finally said after a moment of silence. Families were kind of a dark subject for Harry and I, which is why it surprised me so much when he brought it up.

"I know this is kind of a big step. But that fishing contest helped me out more than you could ever think it did."

"Is your dad getting better?" I asked him, remembering the events that took play.

"No. But that day, something clicked. When I saw you on that boat witnessing my father at his best, I knew that I would always do whatever it takes to never end up like him." He said. "Look, Kayles, I get it if I'm being too fast or too personal, but I just figured that I never want to hide anything from you, no matter how ugly it is. And I was hoping that you might wanna do the same thing." He said and I took it all in.

"Okay, Styles." I sighed after a moment. "You win. Get ready, because after that we're going to your house." I decided before I headed towards his car. This worked both ways.