The Girl Next Door

Chapter 52

'Stress' was written in bold letters on the top of the page, and I couldn't wait before jumping in and reading what Harry had written.

'I guess I should know a thing or two about this subject. I mean, given the fact that my sister has had her whole future plan ever since she was four, and she knew exactly what to do in order to get there by the time she was seven while I, on the other hand, don't know what my plans are this weekend (let alone any serious plans considering my future).

But you know what, teach? What actually stresses me out the most is the undeniable fact that I don't care. I feel like I should. I feel like I should want to plan my shit, but I don't. I figured that, in ten or fifteen years from now, if I'm lucky enough to be alive and somewhat be happy, then I don't need to be stressed out, do I?' And that was it. That was his second entry. Curiosity got the best of me as I flipped through the pages and scanned them quickly, catching a glimpse of what he was saying on each pages. I was so desperate to know everything going through his mind that I got impatient and I wanted to read it all at once. My breath caught in my throat as I read some of the sentences.

'She's always challenging me, teach. And, secretly, that's the best part of my day.'

'How sad is it that my own mood depends on someone else? I get all happy and crap when she smiles at me and I swear I die a little on the inside on the days where she don't.'

'I would gladly spend the rest of my life chasing Kaleigh Williams, and showing her that she isn't as broken as she thinks. Quite the opposite actually. She's the glue that keeps me somewhat together.'

I need to take a break from all this and let it sink in. Before I can even think, I'm out of my room and into Niall's. I don't even remember if I waited for someone to let me in the front door.

"Kaleigh?" He asked from his spot on his desk chair, surprised when I barged into his bedroom.

"Harry loves me, Niall. And I love him too. What is wrong with you? Why don't you want us to be happy?" I asked, borderline hysterical with tears threatening to spill at any moment.

"It's not that, I just-"

"Don't want us to be happy...together?" I asked just above a whisper.

"I don't know." He shrugged as he answered honestly. I nodded once and let out a breathe i hadn't realized I was holding.

"Well I guess I'm wasting my time here." I said as I left, ignoring him calling out my name.