The Girl Next Door

Chapter 55

My hands felt tingly. The room couldn't seem to stop moving but it felt amazing. I lost count of how many beers I had but I know I was at a total of four shots of tequila. I never thought drinking would make me feel so good. I lost sight of Harry not long after my fourth beer, but it was the least of my problems. I was having fun with my new friends...even if I couldn't remember their names.

"What's you names again?" I slurred, curiosity getting the best of me. They laughed.

"I'm Nikki. We had math together last year." One of the girls reminded me. I nodded my head once, willing myself to remember but I just couldn't bring myself to focus. I took a sip of my beer. I quickly learned tonight how beer doesn't taste good when it's not cold or when it's been open for a while.

"I'm Kaleigh!" I exclaimed and they laughed again.

"We know, you said that at least four times in the past hour." The girl, shoot...Ricky I think, explained.

"Sorry!"

"It's cool." One of the guy said. "It's kind of obvious you're not used to drinking so much." He said and I surprised myself at being offended by his words. I crossed my arms, furrowing my eyebrows at him in confusion, waiting for an explanation.

"Don't be mad, Kaleigh. It's not a bad thing. Anyway, wanna walk around and see who's here?" The girl said and I nodded, already forgetting our conversation. Everything felt so...blurry. It was weird, but a good weird. As we walked around, the girl was constantly stopping to talk to other people that we met on the way, it was like she was the queen of the party. I wonder what that felt like. To be popular for something good, not for a bad family reputation. I shook my head slightly and frowned at my own thoughts. I was having a good time tonight, I wasn't going to let anything ruin it.

"So how come you're here tonight? I mean, it doesn't seem like you're kind of night." The girl asked.

"No, it's not. But it is my boyfriend's kind of night and I figured I'd give it a try."

"Harry Styles, right?" She asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, he's around here often. Not much of a mingler though. He's always the one drinking alone in a corner." She said and I smiled, relief flooding over me. "Where is he anyway?" She asked.

"Your guess is as good as mine." I shrugged, taking a look at my beer. "I'm empty." I frowned and she laughed softly.

"Want another?"

"Is that even a question?" I smiled before we made our way back in the kitchen. We were laughing and I had trouble walking and I stumbled and almost fell but someone caught me just in time.

"Tha...Niall?!"