The Girl Next Door

Chapter 8

"Lea! I'm home!" I called out as I walked through the front door. I got home at nine thirty.

"Kayles?! Where have you been?!" My sister said with an unmistakable urgency in her voice as she met me in the kitchen.

"I was with Niall. You could've called me if you had an emergency, you know." I pointed out.

"Now is not the time to get smart with me." She snapped. "You had a shift to cover at the shop." She said and I narrowed my eyes.

"I had the weekend off. You gave it to me. You told me to 'enjoy myself while I'm still young'." I reminded her as I tried to remain calm.

"Well things happen and people get sick. Liam and I had to cover the shop alone." She said and I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

"And how is this my fault? You keep hiring those younger students and they keep calling in sick. They were probably too hung over to show up." I reasoned and she sighed as she took a seat before putting her head in her hands.

"I know Kayles, I know. But who else would work part-time at a pawnshop for minimum wage? I have to take what I can get." She explained.

"Especially the 'Williams' pawn shop'." I muttered.

"Don't start." She warned.

"I didn't start anything." I replied. "Dad did when he made those stupid decisions and-"

"Enough, Kaleigh!" She said and we both glared at each other. Why couldn't she be on my side? We both suffered because of him.

"I'm going in my room." I muttered before leaving.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another chapter! Hope you guys enjoyed! And thank you so much to those who subscribed!!