Myriad Nothings

Human

She had pushed him to the ground, finally catching his full attention. He denied her existence as another human being on Earth until the moment his head crashed on the hard pavement. Red liquid immediately began leaking from the side of Kris’s head that faced the concrete. Kris’s eyes rolled back into his head and then they shut.

“Good heavens!” the tiny girl shrieked before kneeling down to check his injury. She tried to hold his head up, taking up much energy. The girl stopped her effort, thinking that it might hurt the man more, even though her fingers were already bloodied from touching his wounds.

She laid her head on his chest, hearing for a pulse. There it was. Then she tried a second time to lift his head up, being as careful as she could with his seemingly fragile skull. The mousy girl looked around and then stared at his shirt for a couple seconds. Shaking her head and grumbling, she began tearing her tattered shirt from the bottom towards the top, stopping a couple inches higher than her bellybutton. Then she started ripping the fabric in the left direction and kept ripping until her midriff was completely visible. The cold wind whispered on her back, while she shivered, wearing a scowl.

“Darn. I didn’t know you were going to fall like that.” Her voice faded off as she fell into concentration. “Let’s see… how do I do this?” She began wrapping laying the fabric several ways on his head, looking from different angles which way she should do it. She finally decided and began lifting his head a bit more on her lap. Using the fabric from her worn-out shirt, she carefully wrapped his head, making sure that it was tight enough to stop the bleeding.

Right as she finished securing the fabric, she heard a grunt behind her.

“Oh, who’s that?” she squeaked in surprise, whipping her neck back. She saw down the block, a figure stumbling in her direction. “No…”

In a flash, she faced the stranger on her lap. She shook his torso feverishly while uttering words aloud in a feeble attempt to shake him out of his unconsciousness. The girl looked back in horror. The undead creature had sloppily made its way down half of the block and that much closer to the vulnerable kids.

“Ah!” she cried frustration. “Why won’t you wake up!” Out of panic, she slapped his face left and right several times. However, Kris did not wake up. The girl and the monster were separated by a few feet now and she had already lost her hope of waking the boy. She gently, but quickly moved his head from her head and on the pavement. She sprung up from her kneeling position and faced the undead thing, still trying to protect the boy behind her.

“Oh, what am I to do?” she muttered to herself, glancing at the boy. “I’m sorry, but I’ve got to save mys-”

She spotted a bat from the corner of her eye and ditched all her previous thoughts. The monster messily lunged at her tiny frame, but she swiftly dodged it, leaping to her right and grabbed the golden instrument lying on the ground.

“Here it is!” she yelled, twirling around to face the thing. In one swift motion, she swung the bat with all her force and knocked the monster to the floor. The muddy black blood from its face escaped from the deep dent impacted on its non-face as soon as the bat swung through it. The monster was almost defeated, but its legs twitched angrily on the ground while the top portion of its body laid dead, as it should. The girl saw this and gasped, before smashing those as well. She brought the bat up and swung it hard on the thing’s legs, again and again, as if it was a scratched DVD that kept replaying the scene. She slaughtered the thing like she was holding an ax, not stopping until the thing had no more whole limbs to twitch.

“Whoa, I think that’s enough.”

“Huh?” the girl turned around in a frenzied state and had the bat ready to swing.

“No! Don’t!”

“Oh, you’re awake,” she said, lowering the bat.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment. Subscribe if you enjoyed it.