Status: New!!

The Wind Through the Trees

Chapter Four

(Sorry it gets slightly gory at the end.)
The Wind Through the Trees

We were all huddled inside Helm’s Deep waiting for the evil to come, I was walking quietly observing the children and their mothers. such a horrid place for such young children, in the middle of a war and they have no home to be warm in and hardly any food to eat. “Artemis,” Legolas called out to me changing my thought patterns quickly, “Aragorn is back!” He finished grabbing my hand and leading me to Aragorn.

“He’s alive,” refugees whispered as we passed by them. “Where is he? Where is he? Get out of the way. I’m gonna kill him,” Gimli says pushing through the people to see Aragorn he stops short when he finally see him up close, “You are the luckiest, the canniest and the most reckless man I ever know! Bless you laddie!” Gimli finished hugging Aragorn. “Gimli, where is the king?” Aragorn asks looking around sternly as Gimli gestures to the hall. Aragorn started off towards the hall, he runs into Legolas and I who were waiting patiently. “ Le ab-dollen. (You’re late.) You look terrible.” Legolas speaks to Aragorn with a smile.

Aragorn turned to me and bowed grabbing my soft hand, “If not for your words my Queen I may have never gotten up. Thank you, I owe you my life Artemis,” Aragorn finished kissing my hand softly. “No need to owe anything my friend for it is my job to protect,” I smiled back. Legolas grabbed Aragorn’s hand and gently placed the Evenstar in his open palm Aragorn pats Legolas’ shoulder with a smile, “Hannon le, (Thank you.)” Aragorn said before walking away to see the king. I look over to Eowyn who smiles even on the brim of tears.

Gimli, Legolas, and I walk to the gate of Helm’s deep looking across the vast empty space. “Lady Artemis what is it like to be in an area so foreign with hardly any trees or ents to protect you?” Gimli asked from his spot beside me. “It is a scary situation, but I know that any thing will come to my aid if I need it.” “What do you mean anything will come to your aid?” Gimli asked as Legolas rested his hand on my lower back. “I mean the rocks and the humans, the elves and the grass of and lets not forget the dwarves. If I die or am injured it is only natural for everything to become enraged, I am the peace, I am the growth. If I die Gimli middle earth dies with me,” I looked down at him As he stands with his mouth a gap. “You are the true queen of the lands,” Gimli says flabbergasted as he bows down to me. “No need to bow my friend,” I smiled as he struggle to stand up all the way.

“Milady, will you fight with us tonight?” Legolas asked looking down at me. “Of course I will fight-,” I started but was cut off by Théoden, “You will not fight. I will not have women fighting a battle of men.” “I will have you know I am older than every living being I have more of a right to fight than you Théoden-King,” my stance became strong as the wind around us started to pick up. “If you are injured or die we will feel no more remorse for you than any other soldier here,” he replied sternly. “You need me more than you know Théoden.” “We need many people Artemis and we don’t have many,” He replied solemnly looking over the vast space before us. “We will have other soon my King,” I told him as I rested a hand on his shoulder.

“We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the Deeping Wall or set foot inside Hornburg,” Théoden explain to us the battle plan. “This is no rabble of mindless Orcs. These are Uruk-hai. Their armor is thick and their shields broad,” Gimli told the king looking up at him. “I have fought many war, Master Dwarf. I know how to defend my own keep,” Théoden told him as Gimli seemed miffed by the kings words. Legolas clapped Gimli’s shoulder as we followed Aragorn back inside.

“They will break upon this fortress like water on rock. Saruman’s horde will pillage and burn, we’ve seen it before. Crops can be resown; homes rebuilt. Within these walls, we will outlast them,” the king spoke to us as we walked through the hall. “They do not come to destroy Rohan’s crops or villages. They come to destroy its people. Down to the last child,” Aragorn told him as he stopped walking. Théoden moved closer to him, “What would you have me do? Look at my men. Their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end as to be worthy of remembrance,” the king finished looking at Aragorn. “Send out rider my lord. You must call for aid,” Aragorn told him. “And who will come? Elves? Dwarves? We are not so lucky in our friends as you. The old alliances are dead,” Théoden was angry now standing tall in front of Aragorn. “You forget about me Théoden, I am here you have plenty of alliances through me,” I walked up towards him my cloak flowing by my feet. “Gondor will answer,” Aragorn told him. “Gondor? Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell? Where was Gondor when our enemies closed around us? Where was Gon... - No my lord Aragorn, we are alone,” the king finished waling away calling out orders.

“Treebeard,” I whispered through the wind to the Ent standing tall holding two hobbits. “Yes my Queen,” I heard his voice bellow. “I need you to send me help send the Elves of Lothlórien and send me as many Ents as you can spare we are going to war my friend and I feel a black cloud holding over my soul.” “I’ll do as you wish my Queen but I will stay here with the hobbits,” He explained. “Good protect them for they are of later use,” I finished pulling myself back into reality.
Legolas clasped my shoulder as I returned to reality, “Are you ok my Queen you were talking to yourself?” “Yes I was talking to Treebeard he is sending us help wether the king likes it or not,” I looked up at him as he held out his hand.

“Come we must prepare and I must finish our talk from before the battle with the wargs,” Legolas smiled leading me to my room to prepare. “Our talk from earlier? You mean the one about our love?” I blushed not realizing what I had said. “I mean not our love together because . . . because,” I stuttered on as Legolas leaned into me his lips slowly moving closer as his blue eye captured my white ones in emotion. “I want you to be my Queen Artemis Solas,” Legolas whispered as he pressed his lips fully against mine. “Legolas, Artemis come,” Aragorn called causing Legolas and I to pull apart. I blush looking up at Legolas as he held out his arm for me to take.

“Farmer, farriers, stable boys. These are no soldiers,” Aragorn said as we looked at the small men and children preparing to fight. “Most have seen too many winter,” Gimli commented looking at the elders. “Or too few. Look at them. They’re frightened. I can see it in their eyes,” we all fell silent as Legolas turned to speak to Aragorn, “Boe a hûn: neled herain dan caer menig! (And they should be... Three hundred against ten thousand!)” “Si beriathar hýn. Amar nâ ned Edoras. (They have more hope of 3defending themselves here than at Edoras.)” Aragorn replied looking around at everyone. “Aragorn, men i ndagor. Hýn ú-... ortheri. Natha daged aen! (Aragorn, we are warriors. They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!)” Legolas raised his voice worried. “Then I shall die as one of them!” Aragorn replied and walked away Legolas started to go after him but I stopped him and shook my head telling him to give Aragorn space. “Let him go Legolas. He just needs time.”

I stood waiting for the men to finish putting on their gear as a horn sounded from far away. “Haldir!!” I yelled as Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli ran out to see who blew the horn. “Send for the king. Open the gate!” Berg cried as other soldiers started to order people to open the gate. As the gate opened Lothlórien Elves marched up the causeway into the Hornburg. They were led by my great friend Haldir. The Rohirrim soldier stared at the Elves in wonderment and delight.

“How is this possible,” Théoden asked staring at the soldiers before him. “I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell and from Artemis Solas the White Queen,” Everyone turned to look at me surprised, “An alliance once existed between Elves and men. Long ago we fought and died together,” Haldir looked up as Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and I ran down the steps toward him, “We come to honor that allegiance.” Aragorn bowed and spoke, “Mae govannen, Haldir. (Welcome, Haldir.)” Aragorn grabbed Haldir in a huge embrace initially stunning Haldir who hugged back lightly. “You are most welcome!” Aragorn exclaims happy to have more fighters. Legolas and Haldir clasp each other on the shoulder and smile grateful that more have come. Haldir looked over to me and smile, “My queen your beauty is ever growing,” He said bowing as all the Elven soldiers bowed behind him. Legolas froze slightly watching the interaction between the fair maiden and the Elven soldier. “Haldir, I knew they would send someone to help thank you. How are the forests of Lothlórien?” I asked him as Legolas moved loser to me. “They are wonderful Milady but they do miss you when you are away,” He smiled at me and turn the Théoden,

“We are proud to fight alongside men, once more.”
Legolas lead me over to our spot as everyone prepared for battle. “Legolas,” I whispered over to him as Gimli started to strain to see over the wall, “I love you,” I finished my voice wavering in fright. Legolas’ eyes snapped over my face with a worried expression, “My Queen do not worry we will all live to see the daylight. I will never let anything happen to you,” He brushed my face with his hands and smiled. We turn to Gimli who was grumbling, “You could have picked a better spot,” he complained trying to see over the wall as Legolas smirked and I laughed slightly. Aragorn approached us Gimli spoke again towards Aragorn, “Well lad, whatever luck you live by, let’s hope it lasts the night.” The lightning flashed illuminating the Uruk-hai my heart beat started to quicken but Legolas rested his hand on my shoulder to calm me. “Your friends are with you, Aragorn,” Legolas spoke. “Let’s hope they last the night,” Gimli commented.

The marching of the Uruk-hai got louder as they moved closer to us. The lightning flashed gain as it began to rain. “What perfect weather for a fight,” I whispered and my cloak stuck to my petit frame, the others nodded in agreement. Aragorn started calling out orders to the elves as we all prepared to fight for our lives. “A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas! (Show them no mercy! For you shall receive none!)” He yelled to them. The Uruk-hai leader raised his Swords and commanded his army to stop with an animalistic war cry.

“What’s happening out there?” Gimli asked as he jumped trying to see. “Shall I describe it to you?” Legolas asked grinning at Gimli. “Or would you like me to find you a box?” He finished as Gimli laughed. The Uruk-hai leader cried out once causing the other Uruk-hais to roar and start thumping their spears. The rain poured as we watched the Uruk-hai closely. Aldor an old man holding his bow tightly lost his grip causing his arrow to release prematurely, his arrow lodged into the neck of an Uruk-hai. “Dartho! (Hold!)” Aragorn yelled at the men. The Uruk-hai stop their roaring and thumping as the Uruk-hai that was shot fell to the ground. The other Uruk-hai bared their teeth and roared as the leader thrusted his weapon in the air causing the army to start charging.

“So it begins.” Théoden said as everyone got ready. “Tangado halad! (Prepare to fire!)” Aragorn ordered as the Elves notched their arrows to aim. “Faeg i-varv dîn na lanc a nu ranc. (Their armor is weak at the neck and beneath the arms.)” Legolas told them as I lifted my staff into the air. “Amhrán na gaotha chloisteáil mo caoin! (Song of the winds hear my cry!)” I chanted as the wind picked up around the Uruk-hai. “Éisteacht le Foraoisí de mo thír mé glaoch! (Forests of my land hear me call!)” I yelled again as the roots from the trees sprang forth wrapping around several Uruk-hai.

“ Leithio i philinn! (Release the arrows!)” Aragorn called as arrows started raining down on the Uruk-hai. “Did they hit anything?” Gimli asked straining to see. “Give them a volley,” Théoden ordered. “Fire,” Gamling called to the men. The arrows are released again as my winds knocked over many enemies as others were tangled in my trees’ roots. “Fire!” Aragorn ordered. “Send them to me! C’mon,” Gimli said impatiently. The Uruk-hai started loading ladders onto the walls pushing them up with their long spheres. “Pendraid! (Ladders!)” Legolas called as the Elves drew their blades in preparation. The Uruk-hai were climbing the tall ladders as they were pushed up against the wall. “Swords! Swords!” Aragorn ordered to soldiers as the readied their weapons. “Good!” Gimli said getting ready to fight.

The close combat began as I started to deflect the Uruk-hai away and send branches and roots after them. “Legolas, two already!” Gimli smiled holding up two fingers. “I’m on seventeen!” Legolas smiled back as I hit another Uruk-hai with my staff. “Argh! I’ll have no pointy-ear outscoring me!” Gimli called out outraged as he killed another Uruk-hai. “Nineteen,” Legolas yelled back firing two arrows.
We fought on against the Uruk-hai, “Artemis you aren’t even killing anyone who do you expect to win the game?” Gimli asked as he killed another enemy. “I told you my magic is made to protect. I can only kill if something of mine is killed or injured. For now I can hinder them and possibly kill them from their falls but my trees may kill them,” I explained pushing a ladder off the wall with my wind. “Seventeen! Eighteen! Nineteen! Twenty! Twenty-one! Twenty-two!” Gimli called back as he killed more enemies.

“Na fennas! (Causeway!)" Aragorn called directing our attention to the Uruk-hai moving towards the causeway with shields. The elf archers released arrows to kill the Uruk-hai with the shields. “Is this it? It this all you can conjure, Saruman?” Théoden asked to the skies above. At the bottom of the Deeping wall, two spikey bombs were lodged in the sluice gate. The Uruk-hai opened a path for a lone Uruk0hai to run in with a torch to light the bombs. “Legolas! The torch!” I yelled over to Legolas as he noticed the Uruk-hai running. “Togo hon dad, Legolas! (Bring him down, Legolas!)” I yell over to him. Legolas shoots him in the shoulder but he keep running. “Dago hon! Dago hon! (Kill him! Kill him!)” I yelled worried. Legolas shot the Uruk-hai again causing it to stumble and throw itself and the torch at the bombs. An enormous explosion went off blowing away a large part of the wall. Rock, debris and bodies were thrown up. Aragorn and I were also thrown back by the blast hitting the ground.

“Brace the gate! Hold them! Stand Firm!” Théoden ordered. Gimli saw the Uruk-hai charging in the path of Aragorn and I as he jumps down to the Uruk-hai army taking them out as he stands. “Aragorn, Artemis! Argh!” Gimli called as he is over powered. Aragorn and I quickly got to our feet as Gimli falls. “Gimli! Fado i philinn! (Hurl the arrows!)” Aragorn ordered to the Elves who fired at the group of Uruk-hai headed for the opening in the wall. Legolas slid down to our level killing several Uruk-hai with his arrows.

I quickly ran up to the level with Haldir as the Elves became over whelmed with Uruk-hai. “Aragorn fall back to the Keep! Get your men out of there!” Gamling yelled to Aragorn as I started knocking away the Uruk-hai. Na Barad! Na Barad! Haldir, Artemis, Na Barad! (To the Keep! Pull Back to the Keep! Haldir, Artemis, to the keep!) Haldir and I nodded as I turn back to the fight at hand.

I watched Haldir hack away at a few Uruk-hai as he turned towards the gate I watched a Uruk-hai run up from behind him. “Haldir! Watch out!” I screamed as I wrapped his body in a shield. Haldir quickly turned and attacked the Uruk-hai as the shield deflected its weapon.

I froze taking a deep breath but it was cut short by a pain in my stomach. It was as if these next moments were moving slower than all the other. An Uruk-hai shoved his showered through my stomach slowly as I watched Haldir’s mouth move but I could not hear any words. I coughed blood spluttering out onto my pure clothing. “ARTEMIS!!” I heard a voice call. “ARTEMIS!!” I heard it call again this time my mind recognized it as Legolas who was killing Uruk-hai on his was to get to me. The blade was pulled back out of my stomach causing more blood to pour from my mouth. The Uruk-hai raised his blade for the killing blow but was stopped short as it fell over dead from Legolas’ arrows. My body started to slowly fall to the ground as Legolas caught be before I could touch the cold stone floor. “Artemis! Please my love say something!” Legolas yelled as a tear escaped my eye. “I’m sorry,” I whispered my eyes closing as a loud and horrid rawr was heard in the distance.