Coffee House Lovers

Pistols and Pariahs

The next day I made it my personal mission to get a new outfit. Much to my displeasure, my mother insisted that I use her credit card to buy the new clothing. I really didn't want to use her dirty money, but my meager earnings, a new outfit does not make. The first thing I bought was an expensive pair of deconstructed cut off skinny jeans. I could have made them myself and they would have looked better. I guess that this is what people wear in the 90174. I swiped the card and the amount read $54.98. Holy cow, thank goodness its not my money.

After paying for a graphic tee and some new hair dye, I was ready for tonight. I stopped for a brief lunch break, then I started my trek home. The walk wasn't far, but in the California it seemed to drag on forever. I walked through the front door, towing my bags. all of the lights were on, but the house was silent. I walked past the living area and the TV was on, the images on the screen were of some sort of romantic comedy that had just came out. I turned from those smiling faces and corny plot in search of my mother. I looked in the kitchen and there was no sign of her either.

"Mom? I'm home." I called out hoping for a response. THere was no returned response so I figured that she was out. I walked down the hall towards my room and from the last room in the hallway, there were some pretty wild sounds escaping. I shook my head in disgust as I walked into my room. I knew the deal by now, when my mom had 'guests' I was not to be seen or heard. I stay on my bed with the door locked until I heard the front door shut.

The moans finally died down and soon footsteps could be heard scurrying to the door. The front door slammed and I sat up waiting for the safe sign. By the sound of the shower running, I knew that it was safe. I unlocked my door and walked out into our living room. I blew out the burning scented candles. The house smelled like sugar cookies and fresh paint. We had just finished painting two days ago and the beige on the walls was neutral and relaxing. The apartment was lavish with grand rooms and it was adorned with crystals and metallic accents. The kitchen had brand new stainless steel appliances, the living room had all oversized, plush furniture. My mothers room had a large california king sized four post bed. It was a wedding gift from her 6th husband Mason. The lighting in her room was a golden leaf chandelier. It was beautiful and delicate, this also was a gift from a past husband. I looked at the crystal and diamond chandelier that hung just above my head. It was large and to me was inappropriate for the living room.

"Oh hunny! I didn't know you were here!"

"I have been for over an hour."

"Did he see you?"

"Nope, I was in my room, on my bed, with my headphones in I didn't make a sound."

"Good girl," she a patted my head and walked over the the coffee table and opened the drawer. It was where she always kept her pot. I walked out of the room before she started rolling. I personally couldn't stand the stuff.This was the same routine we have followed since I was 8. She would sink her claws into a rich, older man, suck him dry for all he was worth. If he was married, she would blackmail him, if he was single she'd marry and divorce him within a year.

My sister and I were the product of one of her little schemes. I had never met my father, but I can only imagine that he was some lonely old man who wanted love. Either way, up until a few months ago my mother was receiving a handsome amount every month for my care. My older sister Cynthia somehow became like my mother, only she married the guy for good and I hadn't seen her in a few years. To my mother's 'boyfriends', she was single, no children, a party girl. If I were ever discovered, I was her niece who had come to visit. If I was really lucky and he was either going to marry her or he was a family man I was lucky enough to be her daughter. I laid in my bed and plugged in my headphones. It was almost time to change.

Rock music blasted in my ears as I considered every aspect of my outfit. I fussed over the draping of my over sized tank, the fit of the shorts. My hair and makeup were tricky. My eyes were symmetrically winged, and my newly black hair was curled to beachy perfection. The last little details were applied and I was ready to go. I hailed a cab and when we arrived I did my best to make sure that I handed the cab the right amount of money. I cursed my decision to leave my glasses in my purse for as long as possible. I walked up to the ticket booth, most of the people were already inside.

"My ticket is reserved." I squinted at the man behind the glass wall. My head was pounding and my eyes were burning. I decided to just put my glasses on after all. The miracle lenses cleared my vision and I smiled at the clean cut gentleman. He was sitting in a large golden booth with red velvet walls. He consulted the computer off to his right and was typing for several minutes before he finally regarded me again.

"Your name, ma'am?" At first I was gonna give him my real name, but I hesitated. He never called me Lexxi. I smiled, he was such a goof ball.

"New Girl." He typed the name into the computer, printed the ticket , handed me backstage pass and opened the gate. He didn't ask for money like I had expected. I walked in and every doorway I walked through led me to a group of men, which led me to another group of men who wanted to see my ticket. the hallways were covered in a rich dark colors and wall papers. Everything here seemed so regal, of course, the devil is in the details. Finally all of the helpful men's directions lead me to a door that read 'VIP'

I looked around, confused. I had to be in the wrong place. The red velvet doors opened and then it brought me to a fenced off area right at the front of the stage. I looked around to see if I recognised anyone among the face's of strangers. People were packed into this area, shoulder to shoulder. It was even more so in the actual croud behind our little bubble. After a few moments of floundering I spotted one of the guys in the group across the crowd, he was chatting with two very pretty girls. I didn't want to be rude, so I went back on my search.

"Looking for someone?" A voice whispered creepily in my ear. I turned around and it was the big tipper himself.

"Hey Felix!" I shouted over the music and the crowd.

"Shhh, here my name is James." He smiled at me. Then it all hit me, this was his concert. I was in the presence of a rising rock star. My eyes skimmed over the crowd, there had to be hundreds of people who turned up. If they were this famous, then I hadn't I heard about them before. On stage were the hype men. Their music was all well known covers, something to rev up the crowd. I caught myself singing along to the music.

"So do you save all the girls VIP tickets?"

"No, just the girls who make me coffee." He simply shrugged as if it were just a casual thing. I shook my head and went back to singing with the song.

"So what made you say yes? Was it my award winning smile or my awe inspiring personality?"

"Nah, i'd hate to see that pretty face shed a tear. I took pity on you really. So was it really my amazing barista skills that made you invite me?"

"Nope, I knew the moment I saw those raccoon eyes and those striped pajamas that you were the one for me. I was planning on proposing up on stage." He was smiling and I just rolled my eyes. The band on the stage was wrapping up and the crew was testing the band's instruments. In the silence the crowd began whispering that was as soft as a nail.

"I have to go." He patted my shoulder and hesitated, his eyes appraising my whole body then rested on back on my eyes.

"Your public awaits." As he started towards the stage people were clapping him on the back and shaking his hand. 'Good luck' I mouthed, knowin that he wouldn't hear me even if I screamed. He simply nodded and climbed the stairs. He joined the others, taking his place at the drums. The first song opened up and the crowd roared. Felix began pounding on the drums and the guitars began, playing a somber tone. The lead singer walked up to the mic and readied himself to deliver the first lyrics to the song.

"Those blue eyes hide your secret
Those ruby red lips keep it
You are a haunted soul
Looking for something to make you whole

Those poison nail tear through skin
Your scent is like heroin
You make me addicted to our sin
Your kisses are like my heroin." I bobbed to the music, the screams of the fans were nearly deafening. I looked straight at Felix the whole time. There was no one else in the room for me. The music surged through my ears and I clasped to every word. The band played seven songs, all to which were new to me. Before the last song I decided to wait backstage for the guys. I stood in that little room, the guards towering over me. I looked at the little coffee machine in the corner. I couldn't help myself I walked over and made a sweet coffee and sat at a table in the furthest corner in the room.

I sat there, the cup in from of the only other chair at the table. At first I sat there with my legs crossed, but then I changed my mind because that was too suggestive. Next I leaned forward, but then I realized that my cleavage was showing. Eventually, after shifting in my chair three or more times, I decided to just sit like a normal person. The group walked in, all of them sweating, all of them heading for the same table. I sat there as they all walked straight past me.

I took a sip of my own cup, the liquid was sweet, but not as sweet as Felix's. People began filtering into the room, some girls screaming, some crying, all of them wanting autographs. A random guy walked up and attempted to take the other seat.

"Um, that seat is taken" I said with a peasant yet apologetic smile. Felix glanced back, but went back to signing pictures and papers. The guy stood there, looking awkward as he scoped the room for a new seat. The room was packed, wall to wall was full of pubescent girls and boys just waiting to get just a moment of these men's time.

"On second thought, go ahead." He sat down and relaxed in the chair. He was young, but tall. His hair was dyed black just like mine, but his was fading to some sort of auburn.

"That was some show, huh? My name's Sean." He offered his hand and I took it lightly in mine, doing my best to be feminine.

"Lexxi and yeah, it was pretty great. This was my first show and I think I might just be a fan."

"Really? They are pretty popular around here. How did you hear about them?"

"A little birdy told me." My eyes must have been burning into the back of his head because Felix turned around and looked at me. Sean pulled out his phone and after a brief conversation he announced his departure.

"Hey Lex, do you want to chill sometime?"

"Why I'd love to! Why don't we trade digits and you can text me later?" Out of the corner of my eyes I could see a head turn. I wasn't interested at all in Sean, but I knew that Felix was listening and I wanted to mess with him. Sean fled the scene and I was alone again and I was alone at the table once more.

THe room started thinning out, people leaving for home as the the clock came closer to that 12 mark. As both hands hit the top of the clock the last people left and it was just me and them. Felix walked over and picked up his now cold coffee. He finished it in one shot and slammed the cup on the top of the table.

"Thirsty?"

"Yep, I can see you made some new friends to night."

"Well aren't I the popular one." I smiled and threw our cups into the nearest wastebasket. I missed both miserably, but the guards picked them up and disposed of them before I could even get up.

"Do you want me to walk you home?" Felix stood up and offered his arm to me. I acted like I was thinking for a second, but then took his arm. Normally I would have walked by myself, but: 1. It was late, 2. I was in a strange city, and 3. I had no more money for a cab. So, that night I let him walk me home. That night for the first time I fell asleep with a smile on my face.