Disarranged

chapter 6: a different point of view

Sirius had ceased his canine runs for the past few weeks, replacing it with listening to the shower above him turn on at around four in the morning everyday. He knew it sounded creepy, but he truly meant it in the most innocent way possible: it soothed him to listen to Scout shower.

She never sang in the shower, he noted, and it usually only lasted about twenty minutes. It was nice knowing she was awake and there; it was nice knowing that she was real.

Sometimes Sirius swore she must have been an apparition meant to taunt him with thoughts of love and friendship, and that she would soon disappear. It was why he was so upset to hear she was staying at the manor. It was as if the dream was coming to an end.

He sighed, and wondered what Scout thought of him. He knew his emotions tended to be wild and uncontrollable, but he recognized his feelings for the young woman to be erring on something beyond friendship. He smiled, remembering when he had been so mistrustful of her. It seemed like a ridiculous notion now. The time spent with her had taught him that she was a woman to be respected, and that he could trust her with his life.

He heard the water stop. She was finished and now would return to her room. To do what, Sirius wasn't sure, but he speculated that she waited for sunrise on her bed so she could pretend that she got a good night's rest. He wished she didn't feel the need to hide her insomnia as he suffered from it too.

He sighed and turned over, imagining her lying there next to him, both awake despite the fact most in the world were sleeping. Hell, at least he had her in the house upstairs from him now. How would he manage in 12 Grimmauld Place? She seemed to get him in a way he couldn't say about others. She knew how to make him mad as hell and as calm as a clam. All in all, she made him feel safe, and it was a feeling he savored after his time in Azkaban.

Sirius wouldn't say it outright to her. He knew how capable he was of ruining a good thing. But he was sure on some level she understood how deeply he felt.

Noting the sun peaking above the horizon and hearing Scout's light footsteps on the stairs, he decided to get up as well and join her for breakfast, knowing she would be having her usual honey on bread with a large cup of English breakfast tea.

He didn't see her in the dining room so he headed to the east side porch, finding her there. She heard him and turned around, giving a small smile.

"Good morning," she greeted. His heart soared.

"Good morning," he answered as he took a seat, wishing that everyday could start like this.