Disarranged

chapter 6.5: prior events

Jasper Gregory Urquart was a suave man gifted with the right words and a handsome face. Not only that, but he was born into one of the best families in Pureblood society. He enjoyed his position of power and usually used it to his advantage, strong-arming other witches and wizards into giving him what he wanted.

He wasn't officially part of the dating scene yet, but he did have a lot of girlfriends. His father had always told him, "Muggle girls are for play, Pureblood women are for marriage." He stuck by this piece of advice, picking up doe-eyed and cherub-faced Muggle women any chance he could get.

His affairs with them never lasted long, and usually ended with them crying. Boy, he hated the crying! But he also hated the dates his mother set up for him with the Pureblood girls. He reckoned if Muggle girls were minnows, Pureblood girls were sharks. They just knew the right buttons to push and how to get you where it hurt.

Most of those posh dates consisted of ornate tea rooms filled to the brim with doilies and lace. Jasper found it distasteful, but he never showed it when every Pureblood girl gushed that she wished her room were just like it.

At night, though, he was like a prowling wildcat. He'd find out about the hottest Muggle spots through friends or acquaintances and head out for some fun. He'd usually find a dame alone at a bar, perform a little "magic trick", and have the girl hanging onto his arm for the rest of the night.

One particular night, the ritual changed, and it was changed by a woman named Victoria Page.

"Hey there, angel," Jasper smoothly greeted, sliding up in the vacant seat next to her.

She glanced at him from the sides of her eyes before returning her attention on the martini in front of her.

"Why so shy?" Jasper attempted. She rolled her eyes.

"Listen, buster," she began. "I know your kind. Your kind is all about fun and games, but you never think about the person at the other end. So why don't you get your behind off that stool and march it out the door and go find some other woman to harass--or better yet go home."

Jasper's jaw dropped to the floor. He'd never been told off like that before--not even the meanest cutthroat Pureblood woman could compare!

"What's your name?" he quickly asked. She gave him an angry look. "I'm serious."

"Prove it," the brunette challenged. Jasper fumbled for a moment, trying to think of something meaningful. He pulled his wand out of his coat pocket, causing the woman's eyebrows to raise up.

"Is that a threat?" she hissed.

"What?" he asked in confusion. "No! Of course not!" She remained skeptical.

"You see your martini?" he asked.

"Of course," she answered as if he were stupid.

"What color is it?" he asked. She gave him a blank look. "I'm serious."

"It's clear," she sighed.

"What's your favorite color?" Jasper questioned.

"Okay, I know when something is going nowhere," Victoria growled, standing up. Jasper quickly grasped her wrist.

"Please," he begged. Some sincerity in his tone must have convinced Victoria because she sat down again.

"Orange," she simply revealed. Jasper looked left and right before tapping the glass with his wand, causing the drink to turn orange. Victoria gasped and gawked at him.

"You," she began, but was suddenly speechless. Jasper gave her a meaningful look. A huge smile suddenly found its way onto her face and she seemed giddy like a child.

"Let's go tear up this town!" she exclaimed.

From that day forward Jasper suddenly stopped attending those frilly dates and being on time for dinner. Victoria showed him a different life, a life unbounded by rules determined by the family he was born into. She showed him kindness, generosity, and patience, qualities he had discarded and ignored before. Although no professional in Divination, from that day forward Jasper knew that Victoria Page was the woman he would one day marry and the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know ch. 6 was short (and sweet), and this is a backstory sort of thing (me: 'how does someone tell a Muggle they're a witch/wizard?'), but no worries, ch.7 will have some action!