Disarranged

chapter 7: Adamite in flames

After a month and a half Alastor Moody and Remus Lupin appeared at my doorstep. It was time for Sirius to leave.

"Yer makin' a huge mistake," Moody gravely warned.

"I know the risks," I cooly replied as Sirius appeared at the bottom of the staircase with my old trunk from Hogwarts, my initials P.S.U. carved into it, packed with the things I found and purchased for him.

Remus gave him a friendly pat on the back, and I noted Sirius was having problems looking at me.

"Well, come on then!" Moody barked. "I won't wait here for the Death Eaters to come and get us!"

"Goodbye, Sirius," I tried to say in a steady tone, but it came out as a cracked whisper. I hugged him gently, but his arms wound around me tightly.

"I better see you again," he breathed. We both knew it was something I wouldn't promise. He released me as Moody made comments that we were wasting time, and Remus bid me farewell. With that, Sirius Black left Adamite Manor, and all at once it suddenly felt very empty and very quiet. For the first time since my family's death I felt lonely in the house.

I immediately went up to the library and sat in his usual choice of chair. I imitated his position with a leg thrown over the chair's arm.

DeeDee quietly entered. "Is the Little Miss alright?" she gently asked. "Would Little Miss like some tea?"

"No, not right now DeeDee, thanks," I answered, feeling low. I had always valued my solitude, but I had never expected someone to carve a niche for themselves within it.

I spent that day mourning the departure of Sirius. I didn't find it unreasonable to miss the man who entered and exited my life like a rejuvenating whirlwind. I sat in his chair until dusk, DeeDee serving me lunch and dinner in the library. I examined the books he had read, noticing the creased corners of the pages he took breaks at.

I only allowed myself that day, however. I resumed my usual routine after, except now my wand was always in my grasp. If members of the Order were warning me not to stay, it meant that danger was not far away.

Two quiet and slow weeks passed. I had become paranoid five days after Sirius' departure, sensing an oncoming storm. I switched my usual tea with coffee and stopped wearing pajamas to bed, opting for day clothes. It was at the end of the second week that I was awoken at night to loud bangs and the smell of fire. I shot up, wand in hand and senses sharp, shooting a quick and accurate Expelliarmus and Stupefy at the figure that appeared in my room.

I jumped over the disabled figure and made my way downstairs. I noticed the unmoving figure of DeeDee. There was no time for tears now. Spells flew toward me and I swiftly deflected them, quickly apparating out of the house and into the meadow. Adamite Manor was in flames. I felt my heart lurch and my stomach churn at the sight.

Three masked figures quickly followed me outside. I refused to run. I was set on taking them down. They took the initiative, sending every spell they could think of my way, barely giving me time to do anything more than deflect. A spell hit me from behind as a fourth enemy joined the fray. A large gash to appear in my left arm. Luckily I was right-handed.

I couldn't spend time casting individual spells and curses on the four figures, so I did what I deemed necessary. I casted a Fiendfyre Curse.

It took a shape of a large snarling dragon and surrounded the three figures in front of me, blocking their path and aiming to kill. Its bright red, orange, and yellow claws slammed down on the figures and its mouth snapped at any strays. I didn't feel sorry.

I turned around and saw the fourth figure. Despite the mask, I knew who it was. They darted into the brush.

"Come back you miserable shit!" I screamed and ran after, sending Confringo after Confringo at any tree that was near the escaping Death Eater.

I panted and ran despite the lightheadedness I began to experience. Blood dripped down my left arm, the cut wide and severe. A curse was sent my way and I deflected. A another hit me from behind, a Crucio curse, and I was suddenly on the ground. I was careless and hadn't watched my rear.

The figure I was chasing walked up to me slowly, reassured. "I always knew better than to try and duel you one-on-one, Pyrope."

"Lucille," I angrily hissed, resisting to scream from the pain, my hands digging into the damp dirt. Whoever hit me from behind gave me a swift kick to the side.

"Shut your mouth, blood traitor," he hissed as Lucille raised her wand, going for the kill.

"You should have always known your place," Lucille stated regally. I took a deep, burning breath and looked at the stars one last time. It was then I heard an "Expelliarmus!" echo through the clearing. The calvary had arrived.

The male Death Eater avoided being disarmed. "Another day, I guess," Lucille commented in disappointment as her and the partner disapparated. I angrily stared at the spot she had stood. Another day, indeed. But I would be prepared.

Footsteps ran up to me and the figure of Remus Lupin knelt at my side.

"R-Remus," I breathed through clenched teeth, grasping his shirt.

"She's alive!" he announced. Quickly several other figures surrounded me and another knelt down to inspect my wounds.

"It's a nasty one," she said. Despite my confusion I noticed her purple hair through my pain. Glancing at me she gave a reassuring smile. "That was a wicked Fiendfyre you casted."

"There's no time!" the voice of Mad-Eye barked and with his command we were suddenly transported away from my home. I didn't recognize the interiors, and I vaguely realized Remus was carrying me and that I was shaking.

"Oh my goodness!" I heard a woman gasp. "Quickly get her to a room."

I was in and out of consciousness after that, sometimes awakening to voices and sometimes to excruciating pain. It seemed like a century later that I opened my eyes to a bedroom I would have seen in my grandmother's house. The walls had ornate but dark wallpaper, and the floors were black with a purple carpet. I looked toward the headboard of the bed I was situated on. It was certainly antique.

I lay there for an hour or two when the door creaked open, revealing an older woman with red hair.

"You're awake!" she rejoiced, running over to me and giving me a powerful hug. She looked at me, tears in the corner of her eyes.

"Thanks," I awkwardly began, noticing my voice was scratchy. "But who are you?"

"Of course! I'm Molly Weasley," she introduced. "Are you uncomfortable? Or hungry?"

"The bed's very soft," I assured. "And I suppose I feel a bit peckish." I didn't expect those words to earn me a three course meal topped off with dessert.

"You're so thin," Molly scolded. "You should take better care of yourself."

My thoughts travelled back to DeeDee and I gave a sad sigh. Molly immediately grabbed my hand and gave it a loving shake. DeeDee had said similar things and had always made sure I had enough to eat. I actually had never learned to cook, nor cast very good kitchen charms. I had never exaggerated whenever I claimed DeeDee kept me alive.

A knock came from the door and I looked up. "Remus!" I exclaimed happily.

"I expect that Molly has you stuffed," he chuckled. I gave a peppy nod and Molly smiled warmly. She then quickly excused herself to give Remus and I time to talk.

"You were in bad shape," Remus gravely commented as he sat on the foot of the bed.

"There were six of them," I explained. "They know they can't take me by themselves."

Remus growled. "You keep thinking you're so good--and you are, Scout, truly you are--but your talent is useless by itself and not in a group! One day you'll be outnumbered and we won't get there in time, and then what? What will that pride have earned you?"

For some reason I suddenly felt as if it was similar advice that I had give to Sirius. Remus must have notice he hit a sore spot because he gave a long sigh. "I'm glad you're better. Sirius has been driving me up a wall."

I immediately perked up. "Sirius is here?"

And speak of the devil, a head of long and wild black hair popped in between the partially opened door and the wall, smiling like mad and looking as if it were Christmas morning.