Status: WARNING: THIS STORY IS NOT AND WILL NOT BE COMPLETED

We Don't Belong

The Day You Were Being Stubborn

Chapter 34
Sophia's POV

"That was fun." I said taking a seat in the passenger side of aunt Sammi's car.

"I know! And did you see that guy bench pressing when we came out? Hottie!"

We both giggled as she drove away from the gym. I loved hanging out with aunt Sam. Don't get me wrong, I love being around Daddy and Papa, but it's nice to have a female figure.

"Aunt Sammi?"

"Yeah?"

"Where you there when it happened?"

"When what happened?"

"Whatever is going on between Michael and my dads."

"Well it's a long story, but I know who Michael is. I went to New York right after graduation. I didn't come back to LA until Jinxx and CC got engaged. But no. I wasn't here. Jinxx called me and told me everything. I couldn't just leave, but I sent my condolences to the boys."

"Was it really that bad?"

"Yeah it was...look, I don't want to say anything else. Andy and Ash will tell you eventually. So where do you want to go for lunch?"

I stared at her for a couple of seconds then blinked away.

"I don't care."

"Olive Garden?"

"Sure."
_____________________________________

"Bye. I love you."

"I love you too. Thanks for the fun."

"Anytime. Come by whenever you want and we'll have fun, okay?"

"I will."

I gave her a hug before getting my bag and going through the front door.
"I'm home!" I called though the house.

Daddy appeared through the hallway with his finger on his lips.

"Your Papa's sleeping."

"Since when does he take naps at 5 p.m.?"

"He's stressed right now. Anyways. What did you and Sam do?"

"Just hung out. Nothing special."

"Oh. Well, I'm going to Jinxx and CC's in a couple of minutes. Do you want to come."

"No. I'm fine."

"Soph, when's the last time you talked to CC?"

"Don't know, a couple of weeks maybe."

"You and him used to be so close."

"I remember."

"What happened between you two?"

"Aaron happened. I love them I really do, but they have their own child to take care of. They don't have time for me."

"Of course they do."

"Yeah, but I wouldn't want someone taking you away from me, so I'm not doing that to Aaron."

"Soph..."

"It's nothing Dad, okay?"

"Okay, fine."

"I'm going to go to my room."

"When Ash wakes up tell him where I am and that I'm okay. If he freaks out or something, don't mind him."

"If he freaks out?"

"Never mind. I'm just going to tell them that I can't make it."

"Okay."

I grabbed my bag and pulled it to my room. Looks like Papa cleaned up a little in here. Thanks I guess.

I threw my bag in my closet and sat cross legged on my bed. I've been reading a lot lately. Papa reads sometimes, and I know Daddy hates it, but I love it. I didn't get it from either of them. Maybe my biological mom liked to read. I'll ask Daddy about it later.

I opened my book, Promise Me by Richard Paul Evans. It's truly a great book.
_____________________________________

About 30 minutes into my reading, there was a knock on my door. I figured it was just Papa waking up, but the figure revealed to be a different person.

"Hey BatKitty."

"Hi, uncle CC."

"Can I come in?"

"Why not."

He smiled softly and sat in my desk chair. I put my bookmark in it's place and set the book aside.

"I got you something." He said handing a box my way.

I opened it to a necklace with a book charm on it.

"Thank you." I said.

"Turn it over."

From your favorite uncle to his favorite niece.

"It's really nice."

"I'm glad you like it. Andy told me that you're into books. He also told me what you said which is why I'm here.

"I figured he would."

"Sophia, yes I'm a dad now. I have been for six years, but I thought you were okay with it."

"Uncle CC, you're making a big deal out of nothing. And even if I wasn't, I wouldn't say anything. I'm a girl, and girls get jealous. It's okay really."

"But Soph, we used to be best friends, now you don't tell me anything. You barely talk to me. I understand that you're a teenager now, but what happened to us?"

"We grew up..."

It was silent for a couple of seconds, then he nodded.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. We can still spend time together. How about next weekend, you and me will go to this book signing . I've already got wrist bands, so you can't back out."

"What book signing?"

"Laurie Halse Anderson."

My mouth dropped open. She's my favorite author!

"Uncle CC, you did not!"

"Oh, but I did. Be ready."

I jumped from my spot and squeezed his skinny frame.

"Thank you."

"No problem at all. I've got to go, but I love you, okay?"

"I love you too. Tell the other two I said hi."

"I will. Bye."

He kissed the top of my head and walked out of the room, closing the door. I love that man. With a weird jump, I squealed with excitement and picked up my book again. Things aren't that bad. Now I just had to apologize to Michael for my parents's behavior. I hope he's not upset tomorrow.
_______________________________________

"Have you seen Michael today?" I asked Jacob who stood beside me at my locker

"Who?"

"Mr. Fields."

"Oh, no I haven't. Go ask for him in the office."

"I'm not aloud back there unless he asks me. I'll get in trouble for just waltzing back there."

"That's why I said ask."

"Okay, bye then. My house tonight?"

"Yeah."

I smiled at Jacob and reached out to mess up his dark brown fringe. He swatted my hand away and tried to fix it.

"Bye Jacob."

"Later Purdy."

I pushed my way past the kids eager to leave school and walked to the office. The secretary sat at the front desk absently writing on some form.

"Excuse me."

"Hi, Sophia Purdy, right?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Mr. Fields please."

"He turned in his resume about 15 minutes ago. I don't think I saw him leave. You're allowed to go back."

"Thank you."

I walked down the little hallway and stopped at Michael's door. There was a box sitting in front of the door, and another in his office. Making my presents known, I sat down in front of him.

"Sophia, please don't try to talk me out of this."

"You're just going to leave? Because my dad said something, you're just going to walk out, leave your job, and leave a kid you've helped a lot."

"They still haven't told you have they?"

"Told me what! Everyone keeps saying that they'll tell me later but I'm still as clueless! What is this? What happened between you three?"

"Sophia I'm really not obligated to say anything."

"Fine. Just tell me why you're leaving."

"I'm a convicted felon, they'll fire me anyway when they realize someone found out."

"So they knew this and still gave you a job?"

"Yeah, I've served my time and all though. It just wouldn't be good for the school.

"Okay, fine...I'm going to miss you, alright?"

"I'm going to miss you too Sophia."

I sent a soft smile his way and held my arms out for a hug. Whatever happened between him and my parents has nothing to do with me, but every part of me feels guilty for being friendly to him. Then again I don't care because they told me to be my own person.

"Bye Michael."

"Goodbye Sophia."

I smiled again and left his office. Once outside I took a deep breath and walked towards daddy's car that was waiting on me.

"Hey Soph."

"Hi."

"You alright? How was school today?"

"It was alright. Michael's quitting."

His eyes widened at my comment, and he tightened his grip on the wheel.

"He was going to get fired anyway."

"Daddy, please tell me what happened."

"I can't Sophia. Ashley doesn't want you to know either. Give him time?"

"Was it really that bad? Did you guys have some problems in high school or something?"

"Sophia."

"No, really. Did he just do something that evil? Was it bad enough for him to loose his job? Was it that bad that the only person who was helping me is now leaving? Was it that bad that–"

"Sophia stop! Yes, it was that fucking bad! You do not raise your voice at me little girl! Before you even go playing that you're not my dad card, let me tell you that I'm providing everything in that house! I'm paying for that phone in your hand, all those books you read, and whatever else you have! Sophia you need to stop and think about what you're saying. You're gonna feel real bad that you acted this way when Ashley finally tells you. Just chill out."

I looked at him and blinked for a second before turning my head and looking out of the window. Fine. I'll just be silent and see how they like that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone! How goes it? Sophia is a smart ass little girl. Couldn't happen in my house. Sorry if this is short. A couple more short chapters are coming, but I'll make up for it. Hope you enjoyed. Thanks for reading and I love you all!