Status: WARNING: THIS STORY IS NOT AND WILL NOT BE COMPLETED

We Don't Belong

The Day We Found Out Michael was Gone

Chapter 36
Ashley's POV

Andy and I drove silently. He'd squeeze my thigh here and there to conform me, but I knew he was terrified too. There were two police cars with their lights on in front of us, and it was the same behind. I'm glad no one knows our car. We don't not need to be on the front of another rock blog.

"We're here." Andy said pulling me out of my thoughts.

I nodded, stepping out of the car. We followed the officers inside and sat down in the waiting room place.

"Andrew and Ashley, this way please."

We followed the officer without question to be brought into a hallway with three separate doors. Two of the doors had big windows on the walls beside them. You could see everything in the room which was basically a camera, a table, and a chair. Why am I in an interrogation room?

"Andy, please go into the room on the right, and Ashley please go to the left."

"Why are we being interrogated?" Andy asked.

"You're not being interrogated. We just want to ask some questions."

"That's basically the same thing! Am I being detained, officer? If not, then I don't want to be here."

"Andrew, just listen to them. Cooperate."

"Fine."

He pulled me into him, kissing my lips before letting go of my hand. I quietly walked into the room and took a seat at the table.

An older, African American man, probably in his 40's, sat in front if me. He introduce himself as officer Anthony Johnson.

"Now Ashley, 20 years ago Michael Fields went on trial for rape, attempted murder, and kidnap. He was found guilty on all charges, but you weren't there to see the sentencing. Obviously, he pleaded insanity, so they sent him to an asylum."

"Is this about Michael?"

"Yes, it is."

I started to panic even more and I felt myself tearing up. Don't cry Ashley, not now.

"Who'd he hurt this time?" I asked straight faced.

"Himself. He was found dead in his apartment today. It was said that he resigned from his job and about an hour after he got home, he hung himself."

At first, there was nothing. I didn't react at all. How was I supposed to react? Next, there was the increasing heart rate, then came the hand over the mouth. That's all. How was I supposed to take it? He kidnaped me, raped me, and tried to kill my husband. I'm not going to feel bad.

"I want to see Andy." I said calmly.

"Mr. Purdy, I can't let you do that just yet."

"I want to see Andy! You said it, he hung himself! Why am I here?"

"It is possible that you could be charged with manslaughter."

"Manslaughter? Manslaughter my ass! It was his choice. I hadn't seem him since Sunday! He was getting way to close with my daughter! On top of that, he knew better than to come into my house and disrespect me!"

"Mr. Purdy–"

"No. Am I under arrest or something?"

"Mr. Purdy, please."

"Am I under arrest?" I yelled at him.

"No sir."

"Then let me go."

"Very well then. Before you leave we wanted to give you this. We recovered it from his apartment this morning."

He slid a folded piece of paper across the table. I sighed, opening the piece of paper.

Ashley,
I know you're going on about how much of a coward I am right now. I know you're cursing, and probably crying too. I'm sorry, I really am. I wasn't in my right mind, Ashley. I don't have anything to say. You and Andy have done we for yourselves and Sophia's a beautiful girl. You raised her well. I was a changed man, Ashley. I can't get anywhere in the world now, so I won't be a burden anymore. Again, I'm sorry.
-Michael


I reread the letter, again showing no emotion at first. I looked back up at officer Johnson and scooted the letter back in front of him.

"Can I leave now?"

"Yes you can. They informed me that your daughter and someone else is in the waiting room."

I nodded and silently escorted myself out. Andy was already standing outside of the window, doing that weird hand thing that he does when he's nervous. He looked at me as if asking if it was okay to hug me, to which I answered by sobbing into his chest and squeezing him as hard as I could. A part of me felt free but the other felt guilty. Now I really had to do some explaining to Sophia.

"Sh...it's over now Ashley. He can't come back. It's done."

"I–I want to see Soph."

"She's right outside baby, come on."

He pulled me through the station where a confused Sophia waited for us. She saw my tear stained face and rushed to me.

"What happened? Are you guys okay?"

"Sophia..." I started. I couldn't bring myself to tell her about Michael.

"What is it? You're scaring me." She asked, starting to cry herself.

"BatKitty, Michael killed himself last night." I told her.

A whimper escaped her mouth and she joined our hug. Andy held the two of us in a strong embrace. He shushed us and kissed our heads, being the great man he was.

Sammi quietly snuck past us and left the station. We all stood there for a few more minutes before Andy let go of us.

"Let's get home." Andy whispered.

The officers who brought us I'm said they'd give us a call when they contacted Michael's family. The car ride home was silent except for sniffles coming from me and Soph. Andy was quieter than usual, but I could see the anger in his face. I've known him for too long. He was repressing his anger, and knowing him, he'd probably take it out on someone else.

Once we got home Andy and Soph sat on the couch while I stood in front of them. She cried a little more, then Andy gave me the You have to tell her look.

"Sophia, we need to tell you what happened." He said.

She wiped her eyes, and rose up from Andy.

"Soph, Michael and I were in school together. I was in the 11th grade when I met Andy. Michael used to bully him, and he even stole his car once. After I came along, he got arrested, then years later he popped back up. He stalked us, before kidnapping me at a cabin. I think it was one of our anniversaries the night before. After that he took me to his old house, and handcuffed me to the bed."

I stopped, trying to collect the repressed memory, and process how I would tell my 13 year old daughter that I was raped by someone she apparently trusted.

"Soph, something's happened. I shot Michael, but it was only to protect myself and Ashley. He could have died that day."

"But he saved me. That's when I knew I was marrying him one day."

"Michael was charged with stalking, kidnap, rape, and attempted murder. He pleaded insanity which is why he went to the institution."

Sophia's eyes started to spill over again.

"I'm so sorry!" She sobbed.

"You don't have anything to be sorry for. It happened years ago. It's behind us and now so is he."

I took a seat beside my husband and daughter, sadly smiling at the two of them. This was a bittersweet moment. We weren't crying because we were happy, or anything like that. We had our ups and downs, but that's what held us together. Times like this proved that we were strong, and that no matter what, we'd stick together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone! Sorry, I didn't realize that I'd be held hostage while five women slowly braided my hair. Here you go. Wonder what this'll do to the boys and Soph. Thanks for reading and I love you all! Oh and sorry for any typos. I'm tired as shit.