Status: WARNING: THIS STORY IS NOT AND WILL NOT BE COMPLETED

We Don't Belong

The Day a lot Happened 2/2

Chapter 38
Ashley's POV

"Oh hey Sam."

"Is she alright?"

"Okay."

"She what?"

"She does?"

"No."

"Because I don't want her to Sammi!"

"No."

"No."

"Okay...Fine, but I want your eyes on her at all times."

"Okay, and only for an hour."

"Love you too."

"Bye."

I sat cross legged on our bed and watched Andy hang up his phone and throw it on the nightstand.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Sophia."

"What'd she do?"

"She wants to go to Michael's funeral service."

"And you told her she could go?"

"Ashley, I'm not going to tell her no."

"Why not? You act like you have no strong bone in your body!"

"Ashley, not now please."

"Why not now, Andrew? I still don't understand! Why are you not freaking out!"

"Freaking out about what Ashley? He's. Dead. He can't just come back anymore. He was my bully, not yours!"

"Not mine? You're right, he targeted you at first, but I'm pretty sure I'm the one who had to suffer through that night at his filthy home. I'm pretty sure I'm the one who was touched by him like that. Andy, it scarred me, and you're just acting like nothing happened!"

"You don't think it scarred me, Ashley? I was going fucking crazy because I thought you left me and the band that morning. I knew better than that, and that's what scared me most. If you didn't fucking run away then what happened to you that day? But you know what? I grabbed that gun and I found you. I shot a man for you Ashley. I'm acting like nothing happened because I don't want to remember what happened!"

"But you can't just forget it Andy."

"Just like Soph just can't forget him. Regardless, he helped her. The least she can do is say goodbye."

"I never thought of it like that."

"That's just how it is, Ashley."

I sighed and covered my face with my hands.

"Okay, she can go."

He sighed with relief and sent a soft smile my way before leaving the room. After I had made up the bed I went down the hallway not paying attention, I almost bumped into Andy who had a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Careful. It's hot." He said holding the cup out for me.

"Thank you, babe."
I took the cup and went to the living room, flopping down on the couch. Andy followed me and sat down, settling me I his shoulder.

"Sometimes I miss being in the band." I said out of the blue.

"Me too, baby."

"Maybe we can do a reunion tour one day or something."

"Yeah, maybe."

Closing my eyes, I sighed and started thinking about the old days. I remember our little chants, interviews, meet and greets, and just the adrenaline of being on stage with my best friends and the songs we wrote and recorded.

I had ended up falling asleep again, and I was awaken by slumping over onto the couch. I peeled my eyes open to see why Andy just left me there, and I noticed Sophia coming through the door and running to him, tears in her eyes.

"I couldn't stay, Daddy." She sobbed.

"Sh...calm down and tell me what happened."

"Daddy, his own family wouldn't even look at him. His mom started screaming, and his brothers...It was horrible. Everyone kept staring at me and Aunt Sammi. His mom asked me why I would show up to a monster's funeral. Daddy, it was his own family!"

"I know darling. I know. It's okay alright. It's okay."

I haven't seen Sophia cry that hard before. This was a lot for her to take in. Getting up, and joining their hug, I shushed Soph, the she Andy did.

"I–I feel so bad for going there. I should have hated him when I found out what he did to you."

"No Sophia. He helped you and you shouldn't hate him. What he did to us has nothing to do with you."

"But Daddy, he killed himself!"

"And that still has nothing to do with you." I cooed.

She made a whimpering noise and pushed herself closer to us. My chin rested on Sophia's head, and my cheek was pressed against Andy's. Something wet hit my face, I though it was my tears, but I wasn't crying. This time it was Andy.

"We're going to get through this." Andy choked out, his voice cracked, and he sounded miserable. This is the first time he's cried through all of this. "We're a family and blood is thicker than water."

It's hard to know that Sophia isn't our blood, but I understand what he means. A family are the people you love, the people you'd trade your life for, the ones who are with you through your pain and success. We may not be blood to her, but our love is stronger than everything else in the world. That's what meant something, the love.

For what seemed like forever, we cried together. Letting all of our emotions flow. Not once did we let go of each other. By the time our faces were dry, we had made it to the couch.

"You two are the reason I breathe. I'm sorry that I can't protect you from all of this hurt, but I promise to love both of you forever." I said shakily.

Sophia cuddled closer to Andy, and closed her eyes. I fell closely behind and soon both of us were sleeping.

I walked back into the house and saw the back of Andy's head laying slightly ontop of Sophia's. I held up a happy meal and a bag from McDonald's.

"Foods here!"

Neither one of them replied but soon Andy's head shifted. He turned around an looked at me.

"Hey baby." He whispered.

"Hey Andrew. I got food."

"Not so loud. We have a sleeping kid over here."

"Oh sorry. I'll put her to bed. Go eat."

"Put her in our room. The air in her room went out. Have to buy a fan or get someone to fix it."

I nodded and held out my arms as Andy handed the eight year old Sophia to me. She gripped onto my shoulder as I carried her to our room. I set her gently on the bed before retreating her blanket from her room. I kissed her forehead before tucking her in.

"I love you Soph."

After lightly kissing her head and smoothing her hair over, I turned off the light.

"I love you too Papa." She she squeaked with her eyes still closed.

I smiled and walked back into the living room. Andy was biting into my burger.

"Hey, that one was mine." I said.

"Oh really? I was wondering where the onions were."

He handed it to me casually as he dug in the bag for the other one.

"Yeah. You just take five bites out of my burger and hand it to me like it's okay."

"You'll be fine. There's left overs in the refrigerator." He said.

I laughed at him and placed a kiss on his lips.

"You're lucky I love you."

"I know. I've been saying the for years now."

He leaned in to kiss me again and I wrinkled my nose.

"You taste like burger."

"You taste like bubblement."

"Whatever."

"Whatever." He mimicked.

"I love you, Andy."

"And I love you."


"Ashley wake up!"

My leg jumped at my body leaped forward. I focused my eyes on Andy at the door. There were lights outside, red and blue ones to be exact. Two police officers stood in the door.

"Andrew Purdy, Ashley Purdy. You're under arrest for second degree manslaughter."

My world went silent, yet I could hear everything. Sophia screamed no behind us, but no one seemed to move. For a moment time stood still. Arrested? How's this going to look on the news? How is this going to look for Sophia. Both of her fathers arrested? Time moved again, and I was standing beside Andy with handcuffs on my wrists. An officer was aimlessly stating our rights, and I was walked outside to a car separated from Andy.

"My daughter." I said to the cop, "What will happen to her?"

"We'll figure it out at the station."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone! How goes it? Sorry for the wait. Spring break, and homework weren't allowing me to write. So yeah...this happened. Don't freak out or anything. I got my dress for the dance and I want to ask a certain guy to go with me, but I'm not that brave lol. Anyway thanks for reading and I love you all. I'll try not to miss my deadline anymore.