If It's Over, Let It Go

You're Too Good To Be True

Brooke watched as the Hurricanes struggled in their own zone. It was halfway through the third period and no one had scored yet, but the Leaf's were giving Cam a run for his money. He already had over thirty saves.

Mason, her seventeen year old brother, pulled the sleeve of her jersey to get her attention. Jeff had managed to get an extra ticket for him, knowing how much he loved the Leafs.

"I know this is really weird but, like, are things okay between you and Jeff?", he asked, running his finger through his dark hair.

"Wait, what?"

"I don't know, you just seem really upset about something since you've been here", he explained. Brooke stared at him, wondering when he'd gotten so perceptive.

"No, things are okay. Well, sorta. Like we've been really weird lately but we're talking about it and I think things are going to be okay"

Mason didn't answer for a moment, focusing on the play happening by the Maple Leaf's net. Then he turned back to his sister.

"Really weird as in?"

"You know how we were"

"Can't go five minutes without each other?"

"Yeah, well, we aren't like that anymore"

"But you're working things out?"

"Yep"

Mason winced, "You know you don't have to stay in a relationship just because you've been with him for so long or because mom and dad love him"

"I know, Mase", she said, rolling her eyes.

He didn't say anything, instead turning back to the game. He, along with most of the most of the Air Canada Centre groaned when Jeff tapped the puck past Reimer. Brooke jumped up to cheer for her boyfriend. She gave Mason a little kick.

"Hey, cheer for him"

Mason fake groaned, "Yeah, right"

She laughed. Mason was so loyal to the Leafs. She was too, at a point but obviously when your boyfriend is a hockey player, his team becomes your favourite.

She held her breathe as the clock ticked down and when the buzzer went, indicating the the Hurricanes won, she cheered. Even Mason managed to clap a little.

They waited until the arena was fairly empty before heading down the visitors locker room. Jeff was standing there, waiting for them. He was wearing a suit and tie and for the first time in a long time, Brooke was stunned over how good looking he was.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and he grabbed her waist, pulling her closer. He parted his lips and she slid hers between them. She felt his tongue brush softly against her lower lip. It sent a shudder through her body. Sensing her reaction, he did it again. She pulled away and smiled at him.

"Good game, babe"

Jeff blushed a little, "Thanks"

Mason was standing their kind of awkwardly, so Jeff turned to give him a hug.

"Thanks for coming", he said sincerely.

"Wouldn't miss it", Mason answered. Even though he wasn't anything close to a Hurricanes fan, Brooke knew her brother liked watching Jeff play. She was once again grateful that her family loved Jeff so much.

"Oh, here are the keys", Brooke said, pulling them out of her pocket and handing them to Mason. The plan was for him to take the family's car home and for Jeff and Brooke to take a cab to the restaurant they were having dinner at.

Mason gave Brooke a quick hug before heading out to the parking lot, calling, "Have fun, guys", over his shoulder.

"Text me when you get home!", she called back. Jeff smirked at her overprotectiveness.

"So where are we going?",she asked.

“I was thinking maybe Splendidos"

Brooke gasped, "Really?"

Splendidos was one of the most romantic restaurants in Toronto and the place where he'd asked her to move to Raleigh with him. He had to know what going to that the restaurant implied. You didn’t take someone there for just a regular date.

"Are you okay with that?"

"Yeah, of course but I have to get, uh, changed", she said, nodding at the dressier clothes she'd stashed in her bag. She really didn't want to go out to dinner in the Hurricanes jersey and skinny jeans she'd worn to the game.

He led her to a bathroom and she quickly slipped on her dress. It was grey, long sleeved and was probably the tightest dress she owned. She kept on the black heels she'd worn to the game and fixed her curls in the bathroom mirror.

When she walked out, Jeff laughed, "How hot do you look?"

Her face flushed. She was used to him calling her pretty or cute but him calling her hot was really rare. It felt nice.

She grabbed his hand and intertwined it with hers. It was sweaty and she wondered if he was as nervous as she was.

He must have called a cab when she was changing because their was on waiting right outside the arena. Jeff gave the driver instructions and the two of them climbed into the back seat.

He wrapped his arm around Brooke's shoulders, pulling her closer. She rested her head on his chest.

"You played really good tonight"

"Cause you're here", he said simply. She buried her face in his suit jacket so he wouldn't see how much she was smiling.

They didn't talk much for the rest of the ride. Brooke knew that Jeff wasn't going to propose but still, going to this restaurant was kind of a big deal.

They finally got to the restaurant. Neither of them was speaking. She wondered what he was thinking.

Brooke looked around. It was obvious why people took their girlfriends there to propose. It was a little crowded, but it was intimate. The entire place was filled with couples talking quietly, their heads together.

A host approached them

"Are you Jeff Skinner?", he asked. Jeff nodded

He led them all the way to the back of the restaurant, in a separate room. It was obviously some sort of VIP room. The host gestured them towards their table. Brooke sat down in the chair across from Jeff.

She reached across the table and grabbed his hand.

"I can't believe you got a reservation, this place is packed"

"My dad's buddy works here", he explained. Brooke nodded and picked up her menu and looked it over. Jeff did the same.

"Hello, I'm Britney and I'll be serving you tonight. Can I start you off with anything?", the waitress said once she'd approached their table.

"Just a water, please", Brooke said.

"Make that two"

Britney nodded.and walked away.

Jeff smiled, "Do you know what you’re getting?"

“Yeah. I think I’m gonna get this salmon thing", she answered, pointing it out to him on the menu.

That was the same thing he picked. Britney came back with their waters and they ordered. She took their menus and left.

Jeff tapped his fingers against the table, "I really miss you. Like, being around all the time"

Brooke looked down at her lap, not wanting to meet his eyes, "I know"

"And I..I really want you to move back in with me", he said, his mouth curling up into a shy smile. Brooke didn't know what to say.

"It’s been two months", Jeff reminded her softly.

"Uhm"

"I’ve been miserable, there’s no way you can have missed that. But it's just...I don’t know how to tell you I love you and make you understand how much you mean to me"

"Babe.."

"Maybe I haven't acted like it but I'm serious about you and me. Like, I don't want to be with anyone but you"

Brooke softened, "I know you don't"

He didn't say anything, waiting to hear her answer. She smiled shyly, "And yeah, I will move back in"

She got up and climbed into his lap, kissing him as if she was never going to see him again. Jeff pulled her close. Brooke was suddenly grateful that they were in this private room.

Britney came up to them and cleared her throat. Brooke blushed and went back to her seat.

“Congratulations", she said as she placed their dinners on the table.

They ate in silence for a little while until Brooke looked up and noticed Jeff was staring at her.

"What?", she giggled.

"I can't stop staring at you", he admitted. Both of them were blushing. Brooke had done a lot of that tonight.

He looked down at her nearly empty plate, "Are you ready to go?"

She nodded. When Britney came back he asked for the bill. He paid it quickly and the two of them left the restaurant and piled into the first cab they saw.

Jeff gave the driver the address to the hotel where his team was staying before wrapping his arm around Brooke and kissing the top of her head.

"Who are you rooming with?"

Jeff burst out laughing, "Are you hinting at something?"

"Maybe I am", Brooke smirked.

"Well, luck for you I have my own room", Jeff was still laughing.

Before long, they made it to the hotel. Jeff paid the driver and they ran into the hotel, holding on to each other so they wouldn't slip on the icy sidewalk.

The elevator seemed to take forever to come so both of them were pretty anxious by the time they got to Jeff's room. He fumbled for his room key and opened the door. They both tumbled in, kicking off their shoes on the way.

Jeff kissed her softly, sliding his hand towards the back of her dress to undo the zipper. Once it was off, she helped him pull off his jacket and unbutton his dress shirt.

She giggled as he picked her up, not breaking the kiss. He carried her over to his bed, setting her down gently.

He rolled over to where she was lying and kissed her again. He reached back and undid the clasp of her bra which she slipped off and threw across the room. She reached over and undid the button on his pants, her hands shaking. He was beaming and she realized that what he said at dinner was true. He wanted to be with her.

Jeff leaned into her and she gasped, digging her fingers into his shoulder blades. They tried to kiss, but had to stop every few seconds to let out a breath. She wrapped her legs around him and he buried his face into her collarbone. She dug her nails into his back and pulled him as close to her as possible. After a while, he rolled over and laid beside her.

"Cuddle with me", he said, wrapping his arms around her. He yawned, closing his eyes and leaning against her shoulder.

"Love you, Brooke"

"Love you too, Jeff"
♠ ♠ ♠
This is super long but I couldn't figure out where to cut it off..let me know if you guys like longer chapters! :)