Standing on Clouds Above the Sky

Chapter 1

As the sky began turning into a pinkish aura, and the sun began to drift slowly into the night, I stood on a small grassy hilltop, overlooking a field of green. My mind was absent, I had no thoughts, but to simply cherish this moment. So peaceful... So.... Silent. It felt as though I could throw my emotions into the air and they would never return.
Thoughts of my mother came back to me in full bloom, however, and instead of shedding away the fear and sadness of losing her, my mind simply repeated her last words into head, over and over and over.
"Don't be afraid, Sebastion, I know you may feel as if you are going to be alone now, but I promise I will always be there. Always." Her innocent smile and saddened eyes still remained in my head. It felt so real... and yet at the time... It felt so fake. But nothing was fake about that day.
My eyes began to water, but I pushed them back without much trouble. I was beginning to grow very good at that. I hadn't cried when she died, and I haven't cried since. I'd rather not in the first place.
I checked my watch to make sure that it wouldn't be too late if I were to spend a few more minutes here. The clock said nine. Joseph, my father, told me I should be home at around nine-thirty or so. Not like it mattered, I hadn't listened to him much before mom died and if he thought it would change... well, too bad for him I suppose. He's nothing but a drunk. A small, unfortunate acquaintance of mine, who would probably be passed out on the bathroom floor instead of actually making sure I was home alright. The neighborhood was safe though, safe enough. Though, I couldn't really call it a neighborhood, as we lived in a small flat near Grand Central Station. I was in a small park, surrounded by streetlights and buildings, so there wasn't much of a view really, only the sky.
I looked up again, at the darkening atmosphere. It was so big... so why did I feel so alone? I'd rather not think about that. I turned on my heel ready to go home when I saw her. Only for a moment. Brief, but i'm sure she was there. She was short, with long red hair. She was holding a small box, like one you'd bring to a child's birthday party. Her eyes were focused almost directly at me, almost as if they were looking into my soul. I could feel them digging into my skin. I saw her standing near a lamppost, underneath its light. It was as if she was the only thing there, as if everything else was pitch black, and only she remained.
At that moment, before I could even gather up enough courage to even call out to her, a bus came by and stopped just in front of her. I stood still, frozen, and silent. She was beautiful. I could hear the bus' engine begin to rev again, and it left, with her in it as well.
I stood there in shock, unsure to believe what I just saw. I mean sure, it was just a girl, but something about her really made me nervous.
It took me a few minutes to gather my thoughts again after that. I immediately set off for home, all the while thinking of her. Who was she? Why was she staring at me like that? Why am I so concerned? I tried to blow it off, assuring myself that I would never see her again, which would probably end up being true. This was a big city, any faces you might have saw yesterday will be long gone today. Still, the thought of those eyes piercing into my face like they did, it kept her in my head. It made me feel.... scared.
I walked through the door of my flat, which resided on the fifth floor of a popular hotel-like building. My mother was a lawyer, making us relatively rich. My father sat near the window, with a bottle of whiskey in his hand, passed out as I had predicted. How could my mother have ever stayed with a drunk like him?
I opened up the fridge, finding nothing of interest, and set out to my room. As I entered the small, yet comfortable room I looked out the window. Her eyes still rested in my mind.
"Who was she...?" I whispered softly to myself. As I went about my normal ritual of falling asleep I thought of her all the while. And as my mind slowly drifted into a darkened state, I swear, I could almost hear her voice, a voice I've never heard, call out to me.