Standing on Clouds Above the Sky

Chapter 2

Its been a few weeks since the day I saw that girl near the bus stop. Images of her face keep popping into my head, reminding me of her beauty, and refusing to let the strange encounter go. The big city, however, had other plans, and just like I said before, I've yet to see anyone who even remotely resembles her. Her hair is what really had me at first, it was long, and looked soft to the touch. Her eyes also remained burned into my head, that long stare she had given me still sends shivers up my spine.
Even as I think about her sweet hair and gorgeous face however, I'm also forced to realize that that would be the only time I may ever see her. I've often tried forgetting, usually by busying myself with unfinished tasks or miscellaneous chores that needed to be done.
School, which started about a week ago, is also playing a good part in helping me forget her, as well as my mother, who also traverses my field of thought very so often. Its been close to two years shes been dead, but the memories still haunt me.
We were close, I liked talking to her, and she liked talking to me. My father actually didn't pick up drinking until she died, but before that he was still just a lazy bum, usually leaving everything to me or my mother. He never really felt there, and he did sometimes come home drunk, but now its everyday.
My school life however, was just as eventful as my summer. I had no real friends, mostly due to my inability to converse with others. When my mom died some students tried to sympathize me, though all I had really wanted was to be left alone. I guess they took that the wrong way and no ones really tried to talk to me since.
I was walking through the usual, loud, crowded hallways trying to get to my first hour. It was the first period of the day, but was also my favorite, English. The teacher I had this year seemed like a nice woman, and I enjoyed reading and writing. It kept me occupied I suppose.
As I walked into class, everybody else was busy talking to one another, telling jokes, and playing around. I began to unpack my things when Ms. Weeks came up to me.
" Sebastion you are just the man I was looking for." She said smiling in a polite manner. She was holding some documents in her hand and looked as though she was going to ask me for a favor.
" Hello Ms. Weeks, um.. what do you need?" I replied. I felt awkward even talking to teachers. I suppose that's why I enjoyed writing, I was able to convey feelings without actually having to speak.
"I need you to do me a favor." So I was right after all. she continued. "A new student has recently moved into this class and Id like for you to go pick her up from the office and show her the way. It appears she got lost." My stomach dropped. Delivering papers? Sure, no problem. Having to meet and escort a new student? I feel like I'm going to explode of social anxiety.
"Uh.. I don't know... I'm not very good with-" She interrupted me with a wave and said:
"Oh, you'll be fine. Now hurry so you won't be too late." She dropped a few papers which I assumed were the new students schedule. Why she gave them to me i'm not sure, shouldn't they already have a copy in the first place?
With a sigh I got up and walked briskly out of the room and towards the office. The hallways were clear and silent now, and It was nice, walking through them without having to worry about the oncoming traffic of students. As I walked through the empty corridor I couldn't help but daydream at the thought of that one redheaded girl. What if she was the new student? What would I do? In reality, I'd probably freeze up, or at least fail to give a nice first impression, if you don't count our last encounter. I pushed the daydream out of my head and at last reached the office. With another sigh, and mental preparation, I walked through the door.
Inside was a small attendance desk, and a few chairs, one of which a girl was sitting on. She had long brown hair, and was rather pale. She was cute, though.
The attendance lady looked up at me, she looked bored and tired. understandable. The thought of managing a schools attendance seemed awful to me. I raised up the papers, hoping I would have to speak, and she nodded accordingly, thank god.
She turned toward the pale girl and said: "Well, just follow him and he'll get you to your class alright." The girl nodded, got up, and walked over to me.
"Hello." She said shyly.
"Hey." I replied, which was followed by a small but awkward silence. "U mm.. here are your papers." I handed to her. "Let me show you to class." I turned around quickly and began to walk. I could hear her scurry along to catch up to me, as I started moving pretty quickly. My hopes that she wouldn't try to make small talk were crushed when she asked for my name.
"Its umm.. Sebastion. Sebastion Colt." I replied.
"Oh, that's a nice name! I'm Abigail.. Abigail Walker." She seemed nice enough.
I really didn't know what to say next, so I just replied with "That's a cool name too." We walked in silence for a few seconds before she began talking again.
"Sorry, I'm not very good at meeting new people, I hope I don't sound weird or anything." I was actually kind of surprised when she said this. I glanced back at her for a second with a slight smile on my face. And here I thought I was being awkward.
"No, no... you're actually very nice. I mean, i'm not very good with people either so..." We both kind of laughed and I felt slightly relieved.
"Thank God," She said. "I'm sorry for making you come all this way, the office somehow screwed up my first schedule which is why I got lost."
"Oh so that's why, I was wondering." I replied. At that moment we reached the doors of Ms. Weeks class. "Here we are." I said with a nervous tone i'm sure. I just know that when we walk in there all going to stare at us. I opened up the door and allowed her to go first, and I walked in, my fears were confirmed. I quickly hid to my desk in the back row. The rest of the hour was rather boring and tiresome. Ms. Weeks introduced Abigail to the class and sat her next to me, which, I suppose wasn't to bad.
As for the rest of the day, it went by quickly, and without any other changes to the norm. The days end finally came around, and I made my way out to the bus stop where I usually go to wait. The walking distance to my house was ridiculous, so public transportation was a must. I'm old to to get my licence though, but wouldn't have a car to drive it with anyway, so I've gone and put it off for around a year or so now.
I waited on the cold, metallic seat, looking up at the sky in all its wonder. The clouds had covered just about every bit of it, and it looked like rain might be coming soon.
"Damn it." I whispered softly to myself. Today had been the first time I've held a conversation with a stranger in at least several weeks. The last time I really cant remember. How depressing.
As I sat and waited for the bus, I couldnt help but think of the girl with the red hair. She crossed my mind several times after I first saw her, but since then, shes been appearing less and less. Even though its been close to a month or so since I first saw her, I can still see her face. It irks me, Im not going to lie. How I wish I could see her again!
Just as I began to daydream of her yet again, the bus pulled up in all its glory. It was just plain blue, with sliding doors and all that.
I picked my bag up off the floor and entered normally as I do everyday. I swiped the card and found a seat, thankfully in the back. I looked out the window across the busy streets and tall buildings.
Would I ever see that girl again? Would she ever be anything more than a dream?
As the wheels jerked the bus forward and the people walking to and from there daily activities, the thought of her once again entered my mind and I sank into a wonderland of dreams.
It felt like bliss. Pure, beautiful, oh so ignorant bliss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! For anyone reading the story so far, sorry for such a long wait. I left the chapter in a way I really didnt like much, and simply couldnt find a way to continue it that way, so Ive changed the last few paragraphs of the chapter. Thank you for reading!