Status: Hiatus

Drops of Jupiter

Mermaid

Alek takes Kitty out shopping for an hour or so while I wait at her apartment. I clean up a bit - do the dishes, throw in a load of laundry, and pick up the living room. I go into Kitty's bedroom to put some of her books away, and I find something that makes me terribly sad.

It's a picture of our parents; it had been taken on their anniversary, a few years before they died. Alek, me, and Kitty are in the background making faces as the two lovers pose a kiss for the photographer (I think it was my Aunt Lacy). Everyone looks so beautiful and peaceful - now our family is so broken and stressed.

"Kitty, I swear, it's not your fault," I whisper, placing the photo back on her cluttered dresser.

The door creaks in the front of the apartment and I head out to greet my two sisters. Kitty is beaming, holding a clump of fabric in her arms, and Alek looks only half as pleased.

The former runs off to the bathroom and slams the door, while the latter sighs and shakes her head at me. "I bought her a dress. Do you know how much that fucking thing cost me?" She whispers, raising her thin eyebrows.

I shrug. "It shouldn't matter. If it makes her happy, then, well. . . You know?"

Alek runs her hands through her long, dirty blonde hair and agrees. "I made her promise that if I got it for her, she'd have to eat at least twice a day for a week. I think that's how we can get her on a schedule - make deals with her until she figures out what she's doing to herself. Maybe then she'll change."

Kitty interrupts our talking, stepping out of the bathroom with a knee length sun dress on. It's a beautiful sky blue with little navy colored sailboats all over it; the collar is Peter Pan style, and the silky ribbon tied tightly around her thin waist completes the outfit. Her eyes shine so brightly as she asks us what we think. I take in her pallid skin and protruding bones. Her yellow hair compliments the dress but stands out against her complexion; she reminds me oddly of a mermaid.

"You're beautiful," Alek and I reply in unison. And for the first time in probably a while, Catherine smiles and forgets that she believes she's ugly.
♠ ♠ ♠
TC: Train