Status: Hiatus

Drops of Jupiter

Better Off Alive

I stay the night to keep an eye on Kitty. I toss and turn on the lumpy couch, trying to think of something to put me to sleep. It's two in the morning after watching a Disney movie that a noise reaches my ears. It's coming from Kitty's room, so I figure she's crying again.

I pull my fleece blanket around my bare shoulders and slouch down the hall. Before I reach the room I hear a loud thud and a gagging noise.

"Kitty?!" I ask loudly before pushing open the door. "CATHERINE! FUCK!"

She's hanging from the ceiling fan, wriggling around helplessly with a noose around her neck.

I throw myself towards her, trying to reach up to pull her down. I trip over the desk chair that she had knocked over, and suddenly everything goes quiet. I look up, and my sister is no more than a skeleton with a thin sheet of skin.

"WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO THAT, CATHERINE? WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD YOU KILL YOURSELF WHILE I WAS HERE? DO YOU KNOW," my voice breaks as I let out a sob. I reach up and easily pull her down. "DID YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT WOULD DO TO ME? You selfish brat, don't ever. . . don't--" I pull Catherine to my chest and hold her.

She's dead; she is gone forever; Kitty no longer had any chance of salvation from her tortured mind.

Why?


~

"Pip, wake up!"

A delicate hand is on my shoulder, shaking me. My eyes shoot open, yet I am blinded by tears. Kitty is staring back at me, a concerned look on her face. She's wearing one of my oversized black T-shirts, and her hair is the usual mess.

"Nightmare," I gasp, wiping my face.

"Pip, don't cry," she whispers, giving me back the pillow that had slipped off the couch. "I'm fine."

"How did you know it was about--"

"You said, 'Why in God's name would you try and kill yourself?'. . . I'm not stupid. I know you and Alek worry about me doing something like that. You were dreaming about me, but it's ok, because I'm fine. There won't be any suicides tonight." She finishes speaking with a small, sad smile.

"That's good," I breath, relief washing over me. "You're better off alive, Kitty."
♠ ♠ ♠
TC: Train