Status: Hiatus

Drops of Jupiter

Get to Me

My phone is vibrating in my pocket, but I hardly even notice. I'm trying to be cool and collected for the gorgeous brunette conducting my interview. I've been in her office for ten minutes, answering questions about a job I don't really want. But she's so pretty that I'm totally engrossed.

"Do you have a history of mental illness, like depression or suicidal thoughts?"

My smile fades momentarily. But I lie.

"No, it runs in the family but I don't deal with anything."

"Alright. How about your ability to care for other's needs, or your willingness to put customers before yourself?"

"Actually, I'm quite experienced in taking care of people. Through some personal circumstances, I've been taught to always be looking for the next person in need. I'm positive that will shine through with my customer service."

"Good for you." She stops her writing and looks me in the eye. The woman smiles. "I'm sorry to say this, but you don't seem too interested in this job. However, if you want my number, I'll give it to you."

She winks at me. I smile stupidly, slightly embarrassed at how forward my body language had been.

-

I walk to my car, happy that I hadn't completely wasted my time in that interview. I take the notepaper with Lila's number out of my pocket and unlock my phone.

5 missed calls
3 unread messages


All are from Kitty.

I open the first, and my legs get weak. The second makes my stomach churn. The third makes my blood run cold.

Just get to me, Pip. If you don't, I'll kill myself today.

I dropped that piece of paper and ran to the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
TC: Train