Escape From This Afterlife

Chapter 10

Flashback.

"I don't know," I said hesitantly as I stared at the joint Brian offered.

"Come on, you'll like it." He smiled goofily.

"It'll make you feel good." Zacky emphasized.

"Okay." I took it and brought it to my lips slowly. I wasn't into drugs. But after that night, everything for me change.

"Emily?" Brian knocked on the bathroom door, anxiously awaiting to see me.

"Hold on." I took a deep breath and leaned down over the counter. I held one nostril closed and sniffed. I've been doing blow since the night Brian got arrested. It was so relieving. I couldn't begin to explain how it made me feel.

Once I finished the line, I stood up straight. I sniffed, and rubbed my nose trying to make myself look presentable to Brian. This was the first time I have seen him since that night. I didn't bother going to visit him in jail. He was only in there for a few nights, but it was long enough for me to find another addiction, other than him.

I opened the door after fixing my hair and smiled as best as I could. My mind wasn't with me. "Hey baby." He smiled and slithered his arms around my waist, pulling me into him.

"Hey." I wrapped my arms around his neck. I looked up into his eyes and kissed him, trying to cover up how dazed I really was.

He deepened the kiss, sliding his tongue into my mouth. I ran my fingers through his hair and continued kissing him. I didn't want him to notice. I hoped it wasn't that easy to tell. He pulled away after a while and looked me in the eyes. "I'm sorry for what I did." He apologized.

"It's okay." I nodded, but soon regretted it since my vision was kind of blurry.

"I won't do it again. Being away from you for that long was hell. I promised I wouldn't leave you again, and I ended up in jail for a few days."

"It's fine, Brian." My eyes slowly closed, and I felt my knees give out. I was waiting for the impact, waiting to smack into the ground but it didn't happen.

"Emily?!" Brian asked as he held me in his arms. "Emily! Wake up!" he patted my cheeks, but I just moaned a little. "Oh god." he dove for the phone and call 911.

I woke up in the hospital, a place unfamiliar to me. The only time I have been in a hospital was when I was born. God knows how long ago that was. I heard a strange beeping next to me. I soon found it was beeping in comparison to my heart thumping in my chest. Heart Monitor. I wiggled my fingers, and felt an odd pain in the middle of my hand. I opened an eye and looked my right hand. A needle was sticking it in. I lifted my left hand and reached over to pull it out, but someone stopped me.

"Uh uh," a male voice said.

I looked over and saw Brian sitting in the chair in the corner, just looking at me. He obviously hadn't had any sleep in a long time. "Brian?" I asked weakly, wanting him to be over here with me.

He pushed himself out of the chair. "You need that." He grabbed my left hand and put it back to my side. "Just like you need the tube in your nose."

I didn't want him to see me like this. All wired up, and in a little white gown with no makeup on. I didn't like it. "What happened?"

"You overdosed." He sighed and sat on the edge of the bed. He took my hand and rubbed it gently.

It was rather embarrassing hearing my heart beat accelerate, literally. He laughed and looked down at me. "I'm glad you're still here." He put his hand on my forehead and brushed my hair out of my face.

"I told you I'm not leaving you."

"I told you the same. But I didn't keep that promise."

"You couldn't help it." I told him.

"I could. But I wasn't thinking." He sighed.

"I love you." I reminded him.

"I love you too." He smiled and kissed me softly. I thought the heart monitor was going to explode. I laughed at how arrogant and over confident Brian was going to be now that he actually heart my heart beat.

The nurses came in, and explained everything to me. I sat there, nodding my head only taking in a few things. I just wanted to get out and to be back at home with Brian, in normal clothes without all these needles. I got my wish. Hours later I was able to go home.

I found myself lying in Brian's bed, in a pair of his boxers and a wife beater. I was curled up under the comforter and he was stripping to his boxers. "Brian." I heard my teeth chattering.

"Yeah?" He crawled into bed next to me and wrapped his arms around me to keep me warm.

"I'm sorry." I told him sadly.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again." He looked into my eyes. "I felt like my whole world collapsed when you fell limp in my arms." He said sadly.

I looked down ashamed. "I'll stop doing drugs."

"It's my fault you ever got into them. I made you smoke pot. If I didn't, you wouldn't be addicted."

"No, don't say that. I'm, I'm fine." I fell asleep instantly from the medicine the doctor gave me.

Brian sighed and pressed his lips to my forehead. "Night." He whispered.