Escape From This Afterlife

Chapter 16

"Emily!" Brian yelled as loud as he could from Sierra's room.

"What?" I hollered back as I walked to the bottom of the steps.

"Get up here! Quick!"

I ran up the steps and into Sierra's room, hoping nothing was wrong. I was relieved to see Brian holding Sierra up just barely, so she was standing. "Watch this!" He smiled.

He let Sierra go and she stood up on her own two feet, giggling and clapping her hands together. I smiled and knelt down next to Brian, watching Sierra. She looked at me with a huge grin and held out her arms as she wobbled over to me. "She's walking!" I shouted, pulling her into my arms.

Brian laughed and rubbed her back. "I didn't even have to show her more than once."

I smiled and kissed Sierra's head over and over. "God, she's growing up so fast." I stroked her hair.

"I know." Brian planted a kiss on her head then kissed my forehead. "She looks more and more like you every day."

"Really?" I held Sierra out in my arms and examined her face. "You're crazy. She looks just like you." I laughed.

"No, she has your nose." He pointed out.

"But your eyes and lips." I kissed him.

He smiled and kissed me back. "Well I am going to go out with the guys." He stood up.

"Where are you guys going?" I got up holding Sierra.

"Larry is taking us to some bar to talk to us about a video or something." Brian shrugged walking back to his room.

"But I thought we were going to spend the day together. I called Gena and asked if she could babysit Sierra today." I looked at him confused.

"Oh," he sighed, "I forgot. Tomorrow, I promise."

"Brian, tomorrow I have to take Sierra to the doctor's." I sighed and watched him as he grabbed his things from our bedroom.

"After that then." He pulled on his jacket and ruffled his hair in the mirror.

"And when are we going to go look at places for the wedding?" I asked once he made his way back over to Sierra and I.

"Sometime next week. I'm so busy, Em." He kissed Sierra's head then mine.

"Fine." I mumbled. "But you better be able to then."

"I will. I'll see you later! Love you!" I heard the door close as he walked out the door.

I sighed and looked at Sierra who just drooled as she looked around. "Alright, nap time." I walked back to her room and laid her down in her bed.

It was midnight and Brian still wasn't home. I sighed and walked back to our room. He has canceled on me so many times these past few weeks. He either comes home then leaves again, or he comes home in the middle of the night. I really wished he would be home more for Sierra and I. It's so tough to take care of Sierra all by myself. She was 1 already and it was just too difficult. On top of that Brian and I haven't even looked at places for our wedding. We've been engaged for over a year. He's been so busy. It's just aggravating. I want to marry him. But that's not on his schedule apparently.

I sat at the desk in our bedroom and opened a photo album Matt and Val gave us. It was of places they looked at when they were looking for a place for their wedding. I flipped through the entire book within a half hour. I found a few beautiful places, but I needed Brian here for his opinion. He still wasn't home. I grabbed my phone and dialed Brian's cell phone number, to see where he was. It was normal for him to be home late, but I usually called to see what he was up to.

I jumped when I heard Brian's phone go off. I turned in my seat and saw his phone flashing on the nightstand. I hung up my cell phone then walked over to grab his. "Dumb ass." I laughed. Brian never leaves his phone. I decided to flip through his phone since I had nothing better to do. I laid down in bed and flipped open his sidekick. All of a sudden his phone vibrated from getting a message. I knew it was wrong, but I had to look at it. It was from a girl named Amy.

'Hey. I left my jacket in your car. Bring it over tomorrow. Amy.'

I felt my stomach in my throat. I heard the front door open. "Emily!" Brian yelled. I gasped and quickly shut his phone and tossed it back on the nightstand. I slid under the covers and closed my eyes, pretending to be asleep. I heard Brian walk into the room. He dropped his keys on the table and kicked off his shoes. I felt his arm slither around me once he laid down. I could smell the alcohol on his breath as he kissed my cheek. "Night baby."

I tried not to show any signs of weakness. I just kept thinking about that text. What was Brian doing with Amy? Who is Amy? and why was she in his car? I kept telling myself it was no one. Brian was engaged to me, and me only. He wouldn't cheat on me. Especially since we have a child. But it explained why Brian was staying out late almost every night. No. No. He wasn't cheating. I repeated that over and over in my mind.