Escape From This Afterlife

Chapter 4

Flashback.

"You're leaving?" I looked up at him with red, tear-filled eyes. He avoided me and stared at the ground. "Brian." I cried and lifted his chin to look at me in the eye.

"I couldn't tell you," he said sadly.

"You're leaving tonight. How could you wait to tell me now?" I asked hurt.

"Emily, you don't understand how hard it is for me."

I wiped my eyes and looked away, not knowing what to say. Brian was leaving me and he wasn't going to come back.

Brian's Point Of View.

I woke up the following morning to the worst headache of my life. The light was blinding as I opened my eyes. I squinted and shifted onto my back, but felt someone next to me. I jumped a little and turned my head to see Emily. She was still asleep. Her beautiful curly brown hair fell over her gorgeous face. Her lids covering her piercing hazel eyes. She looked so serene. I didn't want to wake such a beautiful creature.

Then it hit me. It was Emily. Emily-who-I-gave-my-heart-to-in-high-school-Emily. There's no way. She couldn't be asleep next to me. Her perfect body lying in my bed motionless. Her chest lifted and collapsed steadily as I stared at her in shock. I can't believe it was her. I was washed over with emotions.

I lifted my shaking hand to her cheek and brushed her hair out of her face. I heard her take in a sharp breath. I knew my hands were cold. But it was more than I knew. My touch was still electrifying to her. I brushed my thumb across her eye lids and I felt her move closer to me as I did so.

I froze when I thought about where we were. In my bed. I looked down under the covers and sighed with relief seeing we both were fully clothed. I didn't want to have sex with her the night before I recognized her. I wasn't like that. Yeah, I had one-night stands. But I couldn't do that to Emily. She was everything to me in high school. And then I left.

"Brian?" She asked softly. I was so lost in my thoughts, I hadn't realized her eyes were open and she had been looking at me.

"Hm?" was all I could say.

"Why am I here?" She sounded as if she was in pain. Hopefully it wasn't the same pain I caused her in high school.

"I guess we came back after the club," I told her, stroking her cheek.

"Do you remember now?" She asked me smiling a little.

My heart sank. Was it that obvious that I didn't know who she was? I thought I played it off pretty well. I guess she knew me well. I hope it didn't hurt her. "Yes." I nodded, my voice quiet.

She smiled with her lips together and snuggled against me. I stroked her hair and kissed the top of her head. I felt her sharp breath against my neck. I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly, loving how it felt to have my Emily back.

I wrapped my arms tightly around her and kissed her head over and over, so happy to finally have her back. I have no idea why I didn't know it was her. It's not like I had a serious relationship with her. I guess that I wanted to leave it all behind so I could fulfill my career and to get my mind off the awful breakup. Looks like the past was coming back to me.