Escape From This Afterlife

Chapter 6

Flashback.

"He what?" I asked, feeling a sharp pain in my heart.

"He slept with some girl." She sighed and looked down.

"How could he do that?" I asked in tears.

"He's an idiot." She rubbed my back as I cried into her chest. What were best friends for?

"After all we've been through, he just breaks up with me and then sleeps with a bunch of girls!"

"He's living that life now." She sighed again. "that's the path he's chosen."

"ZACKY! NO!" I yelled as he threw me over his shoulder.

We were at Zacky's house having a huge grill-out. He invited a bunch of people. And of course he had to pick on me the entire time. I was in my bathing suit, going to the pool when he grabbed me. "I'm not doing anything!" he laughed and walked towards the pool.

"DUNK HER!" Brian cheered from inside the pool with a beer in his hand.

"Brian! You fucking-" I was under water before I knew it. Great. I had water up my nose and in my ears.

I emerged from the water and wiped my eyes. "ZACKY!" I screamed, looking around for him. I saw him walking past the pool with a smirk on his face. "You asshole!" I put my hands on the edge of the pool and pulled myself up. Then it happened. Someone untied the strings on my bikini. I was completely topless. In front of everyone. I quickly let myself fall back into the pool and covered my chest. I turned and saw Brian with the biggest smirk on his face.

"Oh my god," I said, narrowing my eyes at him, putting my top back on discretely. Once I had it tied, Brian knew to get his ass out of the pool.

I jumped on his back before he got out, and dunked him under the water. His arms flew frantically above his head, trying to knock me off. After a while, I decided to let him breathe. I guess it was the right thing to do.

"You about killed me!" Brian yelled, wiping his face.

"So?" I laughed and pushed him.

"You really should keep your top off. You look better without it."

"Oh shut up." I laughed and splashed him. What a perv.

He splashed me back, and I turned away laughing. "Quit!"

"No." He smirked.

"Brian!" I laughed and turned away from him.

I felt his arms slither around my body, pulling me into him. He then spun me around so I was facing him, and he kissed me. My eyes were wide open, staring at him in shock. This couldn't be happening. Were Brian Haner's lips on mine? In the middle of a pool? In front of everyone? No. I must be dreaming. I need to wake up. God dammit! WAKE UP EMILY!

He put his hands on the dimples of my back, and pulled me into him. I slowly closed my eyes, not wanting to waste the moment. I lifted my hands out of the water and wrapped them around his neck loosely. He pulled away, but I pressed my lips back against his before he could get too far. I felt the corners of his lips turn upward into the infamous, goofy smile. He smiled against my lips and rubbed my back lightly with his fingertips. I shivered and slowly pulled away, even though I didn't want to. Did I just kiss Brian Haner Jr?

Brian laughed. I must've been blushing like crazy. Which was normal for me. When was I not blushing around him? "Shut up." I blushed and splashed him.

"DINNER!" Johnny yelled running over to the table where the hamburgers and hot dogs were put on.

I started to walk towards the edge of the pool to get out, but Brian grabbed my hand. "Hey, wait."

I turned to him and saw his smile was gone. He looked serious. Oh god. What did I do? "Yeah?" I asked, my voice trembling. My heart was still pounding like crazy since those precious, soft lips were against mine.

"I want to talk to you." Of course he did. Why else would he stop me from shoving my face with good food Zacky made?

"Go for it." I smiled at him. I couldn't get over the fact he was mine some odd years ago. He was my boyfriend. My everything. Then he was someone else's boyfriend. Someone else's everything. I suddenly felt a wave of depression fall over me. I didn't like this.

"I've been thinking about you a lot lately," he started. I looked at him, trying to keep my composure. "And I really miss what we had."

I nodded. "I do too," I said quietly, wanting him to know he wasn't alone.

He smiled and laced our fingers together. "I'm sorry I was such a jerk when I left."

I blushed and looked down at the bottom of the pool. "You weren't. You did the best thing. Look where it got you?" I looked back up at him smiling.

"It got me back to you." He smiled.

I blushed, and felt the butterflies flap their wings rapidly in my stomach. How could this boy have this effect on me? I was so weak and vulnerable around him. I wasn't usually this way. I was falling in love with him all over again. "I never stopped thinking about you," I admitted, my head still lowered.

"That's good to hear." He smiled and lifted my chin. He closed the gap between us and kissed me again.

I finally had what I wanted. Brian.