Status: In Progress

Boys With Tattoos

.10

Courtney

I woke up to loud music blaring in my ear, so I jumped up so fast, I ended up leaning over so far that I hit my head on something hard. I groaned in pain while rubbing my forehead. I heard loud laughing over the music, so I opened my eyes to see I was in the truck. I looked next to me to find Donna laughing so hard, she had tears squeaking out of her eyes.

I shut the truck off and just stared at her, showing her that I wasn't happy.

She finally stopped laughing, "Oh my god, that was too funny."

"I'm not laughing."

Donna scoffed, "Get over it. Do you know how many times you've woke me up by scaring me?"

I started to think about it and she had a point, she nodded her head, "That's right. Karma."

I laid back in the seat to close my eyes and she groaned, "I'm hungry."

"So? Go inside and get something then."

Donna sat up in the seat, "Are you crazy? Suzy will kill me. Remember she wanted me out of the house!"

I started to think about the previous night and I let a long groan, "God, I just want to go home."

"Me too, so let's sneak inside, grab some food, get our shit, and leave."

My stomach started to rumble, "Alright let's go, but she probably locked the door anyway."

We got out of the truck and headed for the front door. Once we were on the porch, I looked at Donna, "You see if it's unlocked."

She sighed and grabbed the door handle and I watched as she turned the handle and the opened. We both smiled at each other and creeped in, slowly. We made sure to close the door very quietly.

Just as we took our first step, "Girls?" We heard Suzy call from the living room.

I tightened my jaw line and I glared at Donna. She did the same back to me, so I just answered, "Yeah it's us."

"Come in the living room, please." It sounded like a desperate plea, so I caved.

We walked into the living room to find her sitting in the same spot from last night. She motioned us to the couch, so we sat on it. We probably sat there for a good five minutes before anyone said anything.

Finally Suzy said, "I'm sorry."

Donna and I looked at each other and we just didn't say anything to her, because she did really overreact.

Suzy continued, "You're right, you guys are great kids. Tom said that you guys have perfect attendance and you get all A's. Even though, I still say it's bad to smoke because all of the risks, it's your life, you can do whatever you want. I'm sorry I flipped out like that, it's just you gotta see where I was coming from."

I didn't say anything, so Donna decided to, "When my Mom and Tom found out, they flipped out too, so I can see where you're coming from." I just stayed quiet, because I was still mad at her.

Suzy sighed, "If there is anything I can do for you guys-"

Donna cut her off, "Make us food!"

I rolled my eyes and Suzy chuckled, "I'll make a big breakfast. You guys go clean up."

Donna and I headed separate ways to take showers. I took the longest shower I could with sharing the hot water with Donna. My neck just felt so stiff from sleeping in the truck. I got out and brushed me teeth. I tossed my wet hair in a bun, deciding not to brush it, and I changed into some comfortable clothes. By the time I got downstairs, the smell of pancakes filled my nostrils.

I walked into the kitchen to see Donna already eating at the table. Suzy noticed me, "I'm just finishing up the sausage, you can go ahead and eat."

Halfway through breakfast, Suzy spoke up, "Donna, I talked to your mom and she told me what a great kid you are. I told her I felt bad for snapping at you that way so I wanted to get you something. Your mom told me about the financial problems she has and she agreed to let me buy you a car."

"Are you serious?!" Donna's mouth dropped open as I continued to look at my plate. I was feeling mixed emotions about this.

Suzy smiled, "Yes! We can go to the dealership after breakfast."

Donna got all happy and I faked a smile, trying to hide what I was feeling. It was just a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach.

On the way to the dealership, I decided to check my phone. It had ten text messages and they were all from Matt.

Are you okay? Please answer me.

I'm so sorry this happened. I promise I won't let anyone hurt you, just answer me.

Courtney, I know you're mad, but ignoring me isn't going to protect you. I can protect you.

God damn it! Courtney please answer the fucking text!

I'm sorry I didn't mean to flip out. Just please let me know you're okay.


The other five were the same thing. I started to feel bad for Matt. All he wants to be sure is that I'm safe. I looked up from my phone to see that Donna and Suzy were talking about cars. Seeing them getting along with each other just pushed me further in texting Matt.

Hey. Sorry I fell asleep last night.

Omg! No it's fine. I'm so glad you texted me!

It doesn't mean everything is okay between us...

No, I know. I get it. I know you guys need a break from us and I don't really agree with it, but I accept it if you keep texting me.

I just need to say something. We came out to Cali, hoping to have a good time. I never thought that shit would happen.

I know, Courtney. I'm so fucking sorry. You have no idea! If I would have known you would be in my life, I would of ended it a lot earlier.

Ok.

I miss you.

I miss you too but I'm scared if I hang out with you, those guys will show up again.

I'll take care of it.

Seeing that made my heart beat faster and I got even more scared. I didn't want anything to happen to Matt either.

How?

Don't worry about it. I'll do anything to keep you safe, I promise.

I decided to end the conversation there, because we were at the dealership. We went inside and the first car we saw was a cherry red ford taurus and Donna looked at Suzy, "I want this one."

She agreed to it and looked next to it, "Courtney! Look at this blue one! That's nice! You would look nice in it."

I shook my head, "I don't like cars."

Suzy looked at me, "Aw, c'mon. Trucks are for boys."

"Well, I like trucks." I said with an attitude.

She frowned but dropped the subject. The owner walked over to us, "Do you see anything you like?"

Suzy pointed to the car, "I want to buy this one."

"Oh sure! How about I have my son take you on a test drive?"

Suzy looked at Donna, "Do you want to?" She nodded.

The guy turned around, "Jonathan! Go get the keys for the red taurus."

Suzy and the guy chatted about prices while I just looked around. I froze when I saw who 'Jonathan' was. It was Johnny!

He looked shocked when he saw Donna and I. Donna kind of gave him a warning look and he played it off.

Suzy smiled at Donna, "Go on, you girls go take it for a spin." Donna got in the driver's side, I got in the passenger's side, and Johnny got in the backseat.

Once Donna was out on the street, Johnny flipped out, "Suzy is your mom? She fucking hates us! Well she doesn't really know me!"

I turned around to look at him, "Yeah I know! Do not say a word to the guys about anything! Got me?"

He nodded, "Yeah sure. So are you guys really never going to hang out with us again?"

Just as I said no, Donna said yes.

I looked at her, "What do you mean yes?"

She shook her head, "I mean no! We don't need to worry about our lives when we're here."

"Well I thought we were just taking a break to let things settle down."

Donna shrugged, "I texted Brian this morning telling him we were done hanging out with them."

"What?! Without telling me?!" I asked, starting to get mad.

She nodded, "Yeah, Suzy was right. They aren't good kids to hang out with."

I sat there for a minute and let it all sink in. Donna was getting buddy buddy with my so called Mother and she's even making my own decisions for me.

Johnny spoke up, quietly, "I feel like I shouldn't be here right now." That's exactly how I felt.

Donna stopped at a stop sign and I got out of the car. She opened the door, "Courtney where the hell are you going?!"

I didn't bother to answer, I just kept running. As soon as I was out of sight, I pulled my phone out. I dialed Matt's number.

He picked up on the first ring, "Courtney?"

"Where are you?"

"I'm at the spot, why what's wrong?" He asked worriedly.

I sniffled, "I just need to get away from Donna and my mom, but I don't know where I am. I was at the dealership and Johnny-" I rambled on.

Matt cut me off, "Court, slow down. Tell me what you see around you."

I looked around to see a street sign, "I'm on lakeshore drive." I wiped a tear off my cheek as I spoke into the phone.

"Okay, I know where that's at. Head north on the street and I'll meet you halfway, okay?"

I sobbed into the phone, "Okay."

I did as Matt told me and I couldn't stop thinking about everything. This whole summer vacation was turning into a nightmare. As I got to the next stop sign, a truck pulled to the side of the road. It was kind of far up, but it looked like Matt's truck to me. I stopped and squinted to see who got out of the truck.

Once I saw the tattooed arms, I started running, with tears flowing down my cheeks. Matt noticed me and ran towards me. He caught me in an embrace and squeezed me tight. I wrapped my arms around his torso and cried on his chest. He kissed my hair, "Shh.. It's okay. I'm here now."

I raised my head, "We have to go before they find me."

Matt nodded and took my hand in his. We jogged to the truck and got in. I threw my seatbelt on and Matt took off. I wasn't sure how this was going to end, but I knew it was the right thing for me to do at the moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whooooaaa.

Give me some love in the comments, please. <3