Status: In Progress

Boys With Tattoos

.16

Courtney.

The sound of a phone ringing filled my dreams as I became conscious again. My eye lids fluttered open to a dark room and I frowned wondering who could be calling at this time. When I realized it wasn't my phone going off, I nudged Matt, who was sound asleep with his arms wrapped around me. He groaned before opening his eyes. I smiled at him as he did the same. The ringing continued and Matt jumped up to get it. I just laid in the bed, listening to Matt's one-sided conversation.

"Hello?"

"Oh shit. Thanks for calling me, man. Yeah.. And really? That's great, dude. I'm happy for you. Okay, I'll see you later. Happy Birthday." Matt hung up the phone and I became very curious to who was on the phone.

I watched as Matt pulled his jeans on, "That was Brian, your Mom just left his house."

"Shit." I said, while sitting up in the bed. It was still dark out. Who leaves someone's house in the morning when it's still dark out?

Matt pulled his shirt over his head and turned to face me, "Brian saw Donna last night and she told him she loves him." He said with a grin on his face.

I smiled, feeling happy for them, "That's awesome! I knew she would tell him sooner or later."

He laughed, "Yeah, well if Donna is okay later on, maybe we can all hang out? It's Brian's birthday."

"Aw, sweet, yeah I'm sure Donna will be up for it."

Matt leaned over the bed, "Well, I better go before mommy dearest arrives." I chuckled at that and knew he was going to kiss me, but I didn't really want to because of my morning breath.

I pulled away, "Sorry, morning breath."

That only made Matt laugh, "Hey I won't say anything about yours if you don't say anything about mine." I laughed as his lips met mine. It was a short yet passionate kiss.

When he pulled away, he kissed my forehead, "Go back to sleep. I'll see you later."

With that, I went back to a dream less sleep. It only felt like I slept for five more minutes when I heard my phone going off. I opened my eyes to find that it was daylight outside. I reached for my phone and saw that it was a text message from my Dad.

D is getting discharged in a few hours. C u there?

I frowned at this, my Dad texting was usually horrible and you could never understand him, but this was like a professional. I told him I would be there and decided to go eat some breakfast. When I got into the Kitchen, I found Suzy sitting at the table, sniffling, like she was crying. I felt a little uncomfortable, so I grabbed a glass out of the cabinet, making sure I made noise. The sniffling stopped as I poured myself a glass of orange juice. For some reason, I decided to sit at the table to see what was up with her.

She smiled at me, "Good morning, uh, your Dad wants you at the hospital. Donna is getting discharged." The smile was fake, I know, because I use them on her all the time. Now I really know something was up.

I took a sip of my orange juice, "I know, he texted me."

Suzy's smile faded away, "Listen, Courtney. I think it's time you two went home."

Once those words came out of her mouth, I was stunned. I mean yeah I would love to go home, back to my old life, but why would she want us to leave now? I glanced at the calendar on the wall and it said July 7th. The summer isn't over yet.

I frowned, "What do you mean? We still have a month left."

"Well, your father made a good point. He said you guys are getting into trouble and Karen and him aren't around to make sure you don't get in trouble. He said it's up to you guys if you want to leave, but I know you'll be on the first plane to Michigan today, so.." She trailed off, getting upset again.

I found this funny that my Dad said this, "So Donna did something stupid, big deal? We do stupid stuff all the time at home and my Dad knows this. He can't protect us all the time."

Her eyes lit up, "Does that mean you want to stay?"

"Hey I told you the last day in August, we're gone. It's not the last day yet, so I'm pretty sure you have another month left with us." I said, trying not to show that I really wanted to stay because of her. It wasn't so much about her.

She seemed happy with my answer and I went to take a shower before I headed to the hospital.

When I got to the hospital, I found Donna freaking out in her room. A nurse was trying to restrain her, so I rushed over to them, "Whoa, Donna, relax!"

Donna seemed relieved when she saw me, "Why the hell am I in here?!"

I glanced at the nurse for some answers and she sighed, "She doesn't remember anything from last night. Do you have this handled? I have a patient that needs a sponge bath."

That made me wrinkle my nose up in disgust and I nodded. Once she left the room, I sat on Donna's bed, "So what's the last thing you remember?"

Donna shrugged, getting impatient, "I don't know. Brian kissed me and I told you guys to fuck off, then I got in my car in left. Oh my god! Did I crash my car? Is Suzy mad? Oh my god!" She was having an anxiety attack.

I placed my hand on her arm, "Donna, relax. Your car is fine. Nothing happened to it. You got high with Jimmy and it was laced with something. You had a bad reaction to it so we took you to the hospital."

She put her hand on her head and groaned, "Oh my god. How pissed is Brian?"

I laughed, "Eh, he was pissed but I think he's over it now after what you told him last night."

Donna looked at me seriously, "What did I tell him?"

"That you love him. You don't remember, do you?" I asked, scared to know the answer because I knew that this wasn't going to end well.

She shook her head, "No! Oh my god! He probably thinks I love him!"

I rolled my eyes "You d-"

"Surprise!" Zack and Johnny walked in with get well soon balloons and flowers. I smiled at the sight. They were good friends.

Donna smiled at them, "Aw, you guys."

Johnny shrugged, "It was nothing, just something to help you feel better. It was my idea."

Zack hit his shoulder, "Well, I paid for it."

Donna laughed, "Well, thanks."

The door opens again and My dad walks in with Karen right behind him. Donna freaks out, "What are you guys doing here?"

Karen looks at her sternly, "You think we would come to see you in the hospital?"

My dad clears his throat, "Speaking of us being, we decided that if you guys want to come home you can. Suzy is okay with it."

I shook my head, "No, it's fine."

Donna glared at me, "Well I want to go."

That made me sigh, knowing there was a big argument coming. Everyone else seem to notice too. Zack and Johnny said their good-byes and left. My dad and Karen went to go get Donna's discharge papers.

I took a deep breath and exhaled before saying, "You can't run away from him, Donna."

She got defensive, "I'm not! I just don't want to be here anymore. I thought you didn't either. Remember you hate Suzy, so why do you want to stay? It's because of Matt, isn't it? Well in a month you're going to leave him, anyways, so why not leave now so it doesn't hurt as much?"

I rolled my eyes, "That's why you don't want to be with Brian? Because it'll hurt when you have to leave? Why are you living in the future? Live in the now!"

She shook her head, "No, I'm not getting screwed over again-"

"He's not like Ian, Donna! He would actually try to keep the relationship together once we leave." I explained to her in a gentle tone, trying to get her to change her mind.

Donna shrugged, "I don't care, because I'm going back to Michigan."

My Dad and Karen come back into the room and asks what we are going to do. I looked at my Dad, "I'm not leaving yet, Dad. You told Suzy the end of August and it's only July."

"Well, I am leaving, so fuck you." Donna said while crossing her arms over her chest.

Karen snapped at her, "Donna, don't say that to her! She just want to follow through with what she said."

My dad put his hands in the air, "Alright, calm down. It's fine, Donna can come home and Court can stay. It'll be fine."

We went back to Suzy's house so Donna could get her stuff. She wouldn't even ride with me there. She rode with my Dad and Karen. Well two can play at that game.

Donna went right upstairs to get her things. Karen came in and I introduced her to Suzy and told Suzy that Donna was leaving.

"Aw, what a shame. She was such a pleasure to have here." Suzy said in a sad tone.

I decided to let them two talk and go check on my dad. He refused to go talk go Suzy, which I didn't really blame him. Once I got back outside I seen Matt talking to my Dad. I started to freak out as I rushed over to them, "Matt, if she sees you here-"

He raised his hand up in defense, "Zack and Johnny said you guys were going back to Michigan. I just need to hear it from you."

I sighed, "Donna is, not me."

My Dad butted in, "Yeah, pretty weird, huh? She hates her Mom and has the chance to go back home but won't leave. I wonder why."

Matt and I started laughing because we both knew the reason.

"You know, I like you, kid. Don't fuck it up." My dad pointed his finger at him.

That made Matt smile, "Don't worry, sir, I won't."

I heard Karen's voice get closer so Matt gave me a kiss on the forehead, probably not wanting to push his luck in front of my dad, "Hangout later?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." I promised him with a smile.

He shook my dad's hand, "I hope to see you in the future."

"Same for you, kid."

I watched as Matt got in his truck and drove off. My dad stared ahead of him, "He's a truck guy."

I smiled, "I know."

Donna and Karen walk out with Donna's bags, so my Dad got out of the car to say his official goodbye to me. He pulled me into his arms, "Be good, kiddo. I know the real reason you're staying, so just be careful, okay?"

I rolled my eyes, "I'll be fine, Dad."

He said goodbye and got back in the car. I said a quick goodbye to Karen and headed for the house.

Of course Donna stopped me, "What about me?"

"Why should I say good-bye to you? You're my best friend and we were suppose to spend the summer together, but instead you're running away from your problems, well sorry, that doesn't deserve a good-bye." I said in a snarky tone before heading into the house.

Suzy chose to leave me be, she probably thinks I'm upset that Donna left me. Which I am, but I'm more upset for the reason that she's leaving.

After laying in my room for a good hour, I got a text message from Matt.

Hangout at the park in 10?

I smiled before replying:

C u there.

I told Suzy I was going to hang out with some friends and she told me to be careful. I rolled my eyes as I walked out of the house. I got in my truck and lit a cigarette as I drove to the park. I've only been here for a month, but I was getting used to it. California is growing on me.

Once I got to the park, I went and met up with the guys. Matt pulled me into his arms as soon as I got there, "How are you holding up?"

I sighed in his chest, "I'm doing okay."

Brian looked around, "Where's Donna?"

Matt gave me a look, letting me know that he didn't tell Brian that she left and it seemed like he didn't want him to know either.

Johnny spoke up, "Oh she went back to Michigan."

"Johnny!" Matt and I yelled at him.

Brian frowned, "What? Why?"

I sighed, "She doesn't remember anything from last night, Brian. I told her what she told you and she got the option to leave so she took it. Don't take it personally, she always runs away from her problems."

He got to his feet, "Too late." He headed for the woods.

Jimmy sighed, "Bri, where are you going?"

"To the airport." He said with no emotion in his voice.

Zack spoke up, "Dude, she's probably already in Michigan."

Brian shrugged as he continued walking, "Well, then it looks like I'm going to Michigan. I'm not going to let her run away. Not this time."

I sighed and looked at Matt for advice. He shrugged, "Well I have about three grand saved up in the bank. We could all get plane tickets."

Jimmy got excited, "Road trip!"

Zack hit his shoulder, "We're flying, you idiot!"

I rolled my eyes and before I knew it, we were all on a flight to Michigan. This was all for Donna and Brian. I just hope Donna finally realizes how much Brian loves her now.
♠ ♠ ♠
...hi? Long time no see.

Well, what will Donna think when Brian shows up?