The Great Hendowski

don't speak that way, 'cause I won't allow you

"Lucy, have you been parading around your room listening to that hideous music again?"

It was dinner time at Lucy May Quill's home, and she and her mother sat across from each other. Lucy's hair was in some sort of disarray, making her mother question her ability to be a real lady. Lucy was quiet, however, not wanting to answer the question. Her mother knew she was doing it, so why did she ask?

"Lucy, I believe I asked you a question. A real lady-"

"Answers a question directed toward her with no silence between. I know."

You would've presumed that now would be the moment that hand print would be forming on the side of Lucy's face from her mother slapping her for mocking the etiquette of a lady. You would've been wrong, because Lucy's mother - like many other things - was not a fighter. She was actually understanding, and if anything just wanted Lucy to be happy. Of course she also wanted to play a role in guiding Lucy to happiness. Which was why she paid that boy to speak to Lucy at school today.

"Anything interesting happen today?" While she knew that something did happen, she also couldn't blow her cover. Lucy looked up to her mother, a smile forming on her thin lips.

"A boy talked to me before I left school. He wasn't part of the smart boys asking me to be in their chess club. He was a real boy with real cuteness. I couldn't believe he was so intrigued in me - but he was."

Lucy's mother smiled. "Well, isn't that lovely? I told you, my dear, good things come to those who wait." And waiting she did, indeed. In fact, Lucy May Quill was one of the girls who waited for her wish to come true. She was still waiting for a couple other wishes, but one had finally made its way to reality.