The Tenth Night

Edwin Stunntis

Someone was watching him. He could just feel it.

The curtains were drawn shut but Edwin Stunntis kept disturbing them as he tried peeking outside to see whether he could spot whoever it was that was watching him. There was nothing he could do against the person and he didn't think that the only person who he could call would actually care. She had other things to deal with than his paranoia that she thought was getting extremely out of hand. Just as he was about the drop the curtain back into place, something moved in the corner of the window and he knew that he's now got visible proof that someone was watching him, and if someone was watching him then the chance was that someone was watching all of them, and that wasn't something that they could have done.

Backing away from the window, Edwin picked up his phone and dialled the one number he always used, brought it to his ear, ran a hand through his hair and paced anxious. He hoped that she would pick up her phone but was engulfed by dread when it went to her voicemail. He was alone. There was no one he could call...unless there was. In a fluid moment, he had dialled a different number in the phone and hovered his thumb over the call button, eyes fixed on the digits he'd pressed. How long had it been since he'd typed in those digits? Probably more than five years, he figured, and it was even longer since he'd heard the sound of his mother's voice.

A car pulling up outside of his house snapped him from his thoughts and his thumb moved over to the cancel button and pressed it as he dropped the device onto the sofa and dashed over to the window, twitching the curtain slightly and letting out a sigh of relief when he recognised the car. Thank god she was here. He backed away from the window and stood in the middle of the room, watching the front door as she put her key in the door and opened it, immediately kicking the door shut and snapping her head towards him. "What the hell is your problem?" she snapped, crossed her arms over her chest. "It's not even lunchtime, I have my kids in the car and you're calling me like some desperate thirteen year old boy."

"Listen," he said nervously, rubbing the back of his neck. "I think someone's watching me--"

"No one is watching you!" she snapped, crossing the room and slapping him up the head. "Listen to me close, if you even think about calling me today I will be round here so fast that you won't know what's hit you. I choose not to keep you handcuffed to our fucking bed because of you potentially ruining everything, but you are pushing me so hard." Edwin backed down from Veronica, nodding his head obediently and reaching out to touch her only for his hand to be smacked away. "Give me your phone."

He grabbed the device from the sofa and handed it to his lover, watching as she placed it in her bag. "Can I have a kiss?" he asked timidly, craving the older woman's touch.

With reluctance, she leaned forward and pressed her lips against his, slipping her hand down the front of his trousers and squeezing him harshly. "Don't you ever forget that this is mine," she hissed, biting his lip before pulling away and leaving the house, making sure to slam the door behind her. Edwin was left in the dark and silence of the house as he listened to her car start up from outside and pull away, leaving him alone.

In one moment, he'd crossed the room and ripped the list that he kept on the noticeboard off, tearing it into piece as he felt his rage engulf him. It was all because of this stupid list that he couldn't be with Veronica publically, that he couldn't have contact with his mother and that he couldn't have any form of life. She was too worried that he would blow their secret and that was fair enough considering the fact that it wasn't just his and her life that he'd be messing up - there were others involved in it, and none of them would be too happy to have their identities known because of a mistake he made. He often wondered why Veronica ever gave him the time of day, especially as all he seemed to do as of recent was annoy her.

After the pieces had fluttered to the floor, he realised what he'd done and dropped to his knees, worry etched onto his face. This was not good. That list was so important and he'd be so careless as to rip it up? It was a good thing that it was after she'd left otherwise he knew that she'd punish him for it, and that was not something he liked. So he grabbed a pen and paper from the scattered items on the floor and sat about re-writing the list, making sure to collect all the pieces together so that he could dispose of them correctly. No one knew what would happen if anyone were to discover any of the lists, and none of them were prepared to find out.