Sequel: The Takeover
Status: It's finally finished! Which makes me sad... I miss writing Elessar and Idril :/

Criminal

Chapter Twelve

I stormed passed the innkeeper rage tumbling off of me. "Make sure she stays in the room." I growled and continued out the door. I can't believe that happened, I can't believe she let that happen! She couldn't have even tried to wake me up? It's so... So infuriating.

I kicked the dirt beneath my feet and growled in anger. This is ridiculous, I can't believe how frustrating this is. She couldn't simply be an endangered easy to seduce rich girl. No, she had to be difficult to figure out, some how able to read me like a book, hiding something huge, and sporting a magik song that drove me literally insane.

I punched a tree as I walked by it, denting the bark, slightly. I don't want faux lust created by my stupid magik, I want really feelings, something that's worked hard for and earned. Wait, no I don't. I want to make her fall for me, take her money, and dump her... Don't I? Then why does the thought of the fake feelings enrage me? They could make wooing her easier. I should be abusing the new found power I have over her... Why haven't I?

It's just so embarrassing... Embarrassing? Jesus Christ I'm embarrassed... I exploded at her and stormed out because I'm embarassed like a teenage girl?! She's probably worried I'm not coming back, because I overreacted to harshly.

What's wrong with me? I can't let this get to me. Do I want to end up like Tathar... Well, he did experience loving someone. Why is this even a question? I do not want to end up like him, he's dead.

Either way I need to return to the inn apologize. Where am I anyway? I'm in a clearing. It's oval shape with tall, yellowing grass swaying in the chilled wind. The trees leaned in over the clearing, protecting it from the snow that covered most of the frozen landscape. This is a fabulous spot for an apology picnic, I'll see if the innkeeper has some warm, perishable food I can treat Idril to.

I left a weak magikal beacon at the clearing and headed back to the inn. Once I returned I opened the door to the small inn and was immediately greater by the innkeeper.

"You look less furious, that walk must have helped." She smiled warmly.

"Yeah, I apologize for my temper, it occasionally gets out of hand." I rubbed the back of my neck feigning embarrassment, hoping she would pity me and give me a discount.

"It's fine." She chuckled. "Now what do you need?"

"Well, I was wondering if you had any freshly cook and extremely perishable food..." I trailed off.

"One apology dinner, coming up. It'll be ready by the time you're about to head out the door." She laughed and disappeared to the back. I inhaled deeply and headed to the room, running through what I was going to say about twenty times. I pushed the door open gently and found Idril looking miserable under a heap of blankets near the fire. Her depressed sniffling made it to my ears.

"Idril?" I tentatively called, she whimpered in response. "I'm really sorry for being such an ass. I..." I stopped unsure how to continue. She rolled over and her eyes were swollen and blood shot. Something constricted in my chest. I knelt by her on the floor on impulse and cupped her face with my hand.

"I was stupid and embarrassed, I didn't know how to react." I sighed as the truth fell from my mouth. "I just don't like the idea of forced and unnatural feelings. But to make it up to you I have a picnic planned."

She looked up at me with the strangest look I've ever seen. She then smiled meekly and nodded. I help her up and we walked out. The basket of food was sitting right on the counter as the innkeeper had promised. We trudged through the snow, as the new falling flakes danced in the sky. I held Idril's hand in my own gently tugging her along.

I pushed the final tree branch back to reveal the clearing. She gasped and ran to the center of the empty circle.

"It's so beautiful." She giggled and twirled. "I never thought I'd see grass again!" I chuckled and set out the blanket from the basket. Then I saw all the food inside. There was two different stews, mashed potatoes and gravy, and two large slices of chocolate cake with a hint of magik and ice cream. Then at the very bottom was a bouquet of roses and a ring. Not just any ring, a magik singer's ring. I've only heard of a few in existence. They smother their magik, keeping it hidden and dulling the effects until the user activates it. Once activates it doubles maybe even quadruples their power, who knows why they would need to be that powerful... But they're only supposed to be for specific lineage lines. If it's not her family's it's not supposed to work.

I shrugged it off and started dishing out the food. She dug in without a second of hesitation and hummed in delight. She beamed brightly at me.

"Warm food I'd amazing for a change, and dessert! Thank you so much. I forgive you for everything and anything." I laughed.

"Well, I'm glad you accept my apology. But I have one more thing." I pulled out the roses and the ring. "This ring is special and one of a kind. It's made for people who sing with their magik, but there's only one for each family... And by family I mean the women, because only men have your gift... So you can try it but if it's not from your family line it won't work..." She looked at it curiously and took the ring and slipped it on her finger. It glowed a dark purple and the silver tendrils tightened to fit perfectly around her finger. My magik relaxed and the weak tug towards her that had been constantly nagging me since she discovered her gift, disappeared.

"Who did you get this from?" She muttered.

"The innkeeper." I was puzzled.

"I have to talk to her... She could... She could be my.." Tears formed in her eyes.

"I thought you knew your parents, well I assumed you did..." I patted her on the back.

"Not my mom..." She bawled. "I never met her... He... He told me she died." She grabbed my hand and started pulling me. As she kept chanting:

"That lying bastard." What is this girls story? What and happened in her life?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the lack of updates, I have school and work now and I'm super busy I'll aim for 2-3 a week but realistically it'll probably just be one.

Anyway if you felt like commenting that'd be awesome :)