Sequel: The Takeover
Status: It's finally finished! Which makes me sad... I miss writing Elessar and Idril :/

Criminal

Chapter Fourteen

I sighed leaned against the front counter. Idril was taking forever saying goodbye. I cannot comprehend how it possibly takes this long. This must be why I sneak away and never say goodbye. I sighed and lifted the pouch of extra gold I left for the innkeeper for being so helpful and dropped it repeatedly. Women and their never ending goodbyes.

After an eternity had past and the gold was properly tenderized Idril emerged from the back room waving and we headed out. Then I remembered we were no longer traveling where I wanted to.

"Where are we headed, boss?" I asked pulling my worn out gloves over my palms.

"You're going to hate it, but we have to go to South Carrion-Barrow." My heart imploded at the thought of visiting the grave of my old happy life, but my face remained neutral. I don't want to go back, I'll be forced to see the charred remains of my old home, or worse... The rebuilt palace. Seeing my mother remarried with replacement husband and children. But I have to, for Idril. She deserves to a chance to see the mother she could have had... But mainly to expose the king for being a lying, conniving asshole.

"It's about a two week trip, we'll be passing through many towns. You'll have to be careful not to be noticed or we will both be caught and I fear I won't be allowed to live this time." I sighed and began walking west at a faster pace. She fell in yeti behind me. She has become much better at traveling since we first met.

The snow began to flitter down from the grey clouds slowly. It generally signals a vicious snow storm, but doesn't seem too menacing, for now. We might beat the blizzard to the next town if I force her to move fast enough.

The flurries followed us as chased the sinking sun. Hopefully she doesn't notice that I'm taking the long way around... The journey would normally only take a week but I need more time to mentally prepare for the shock and stress of returning home.

"Will we see Corinth again?" She asked at randomly around dusk.

"I believe so. At least for one night. She offers me free lodging and good food; which is much better and cheaper than an inn." It was another few days of traveling in the wrong direction, but if she wanted to go there, I don't see the issue. "Why do you ask?"

"I just want a girl to talk to." She shrugged. I was about to feign being hurt but she changed the subject. "You said my eyes change color because of the magik swirling through my veins... Why don't yours change? You have more magik than me."

I chuckled at her frustration. I understand how angering it is to have your inner emotions constantly displayed to the world because of magik. "Ancient family secret."

"Tell me!" She wined. I exaggerated a sigh and decided to answer her.

"Well since magik is illegal and we could get arrested because of your eyes, I'll tell you." I stopped walking and grabbed her wrists, forcing her to face me.

"We can manipulate our magik in whatever ways we so choose. Some of the ways we do that, is through spells, or cloaking ourselves, or concentrating and moving it to select muscles to make them stronger. Which is how I hide the color changes of my eyes." I looked over at her and chuckled. Her brow furrowed, causing several creases to form, and looked focussed. For a minute her eyes turned a normal hazel color. I like her colorful eyes better. Her normal ones are not ugly, but the magik in her eyes gives her more life and beauty. So I decided to sabotage her.

I grabbed her hand and pulled it gently toward me, pretending to examine her ring. She lost her focus and her eyes went back to changing colors. However, my gaze was trapped in her ring. From, far away it seemed like a normal purple ring but up close there was a gaseous substance dancing in the ring. It sparkled and contained every color ever imagined. All the while it hummed a siren song that pleased my magik and ears. It called out to me, beckoning me closer.

"Elessar?" Her voice snapped me out of the trap. All her magik must be temporarily absorbed in the ring until she uses it or takes it off. So when our skin makes contact I won't feel any faux lust but if I stare at the ring her magik song will draw me in and trap me because the magik itself is so potent.

"Can I see what your eyes look like?" She asked shyly. "Like without hiding them. I've never been able to see what mine look like when they change colors and I'm really curious."

"Sure," I chuckled. "If I remember how to remove it. I've had a lot more practice with magik than you have so hiding my eyes no longer requires any though." I dug deep, and closed my eyes tight, searching for that one small drain of magik I hardly ever noticed. Once I found it I halted its progression and allowed all my magik to rest in a ball in my chest. I kept my eyes closed allowing the suspense to build.

"Just show me already!" She wined. I laughed and opened me eyes. For some reason nervousness knotted my stomach, as if it as worried what she would think of my eyes. Which is absurd. Why would I care what she thinks?

"They're beautiful!" She gasped. She stood on her tip toes and pulled my head down, trying to get a better look. I held my laughter in, she probably didn't even realize what she was doing. She leaned in so our noses were only a centimeter apart and tilted my face left and right to further examine the colors swirling in my eyes.

When she was so close I noticed how long her eyelashes were. They brushed against my cheek and frames her big, innocent eyes. They too swirled mesmerizingly with color just like her ring.

A light blush colored her cheeks as she realized how close our faces were. She giggled and backed up. We awkwardly continued on. I decided not to cover up my eyes for the time being... It felt so much better not to hide.

We walked in silence for a majority of the day. She had started shivering at about noon, so naturally I threw my arm around her shoulders and we walked pressed against one another, trying to conserve heat.

At about dusk a dark shadow rushed toward us.

"Help! Someone please help!" It was a woman, she had long black hair and ocean blue eyes, filled to the brim with hysteria. Once she reached us she begged for help again. "You two have magik! That's perfect! You must help! It burned down our farm, and it's burning the town."

"What is it?" I held her down by the shoulders, trying to get her to calm down.

"A-a d-dragon."
♠ ♠ ♠
Bam I updated faster this time. Sorry it's so slow now my ap chem is a lot of work.., especially with a job X(

It would be cool if you commented ;)