Sequel: The Takeover
Status: It's finally finished! Which makes me sad... I miss writing Elessar and Idril :/

Criminal

Chapter Sixteen

The sunlight streaming through the elegant windows woke me, it must be about lunch time. I was on my side and Idril was curled up in my arms with one of her hands and her face pressed into my chest. She looked so peaceful and beautiful. What would it be like if I woke up without her in my arms? What if she was no longer traveling with me? I would wake up alone or with a stranger in my arms. Would there be an emptiness left in my heart? Or would I be just fine.

I pictured waking up in an inn much like this. Rolling over and smiling at... Who? A girl with dark brown hair and boring, grey eyes. She smiled a regular smile and purred my name through her average lips. There was nothing extraordinary or amazing in that world. It seemed boring.

Jesus, I've already become attached to Idril. Maybe it is best if I let her go. Not hand her over to the dragon, but send her far away from here. Maybe to live with Corinth, they could bond and become best friends, and Corinth is an excellent teacher.

But if I have actually grown so used to having Idril around will I be strong enough to stay away. To go back to my old life. Why does that sound so terrible now? Back then it was amazing! I could do whatever I wanted with no repercussions. I could have any girl I wanted and I had nobody else to worry about. It was just me, myself, and I. Now, that just sounds... Lonely. I would have no one to talk to through the wee hours of the night or pass the time during a long journey. There'd be no one to hold onto and shiver with when it was cold and we I would be stuck outside.

Why couldn't I have just left her like all the other girls? It's probably because she's different, stronger than the others... And I guess I like a challenge. Now that challenge might get me killed, as well as the rest of this town. I need to learn to live apart from her to save this town.

Idril yawned and stretched slightly. She cracked her eyes open and istantly smiled at me. "Good morning." She murmured groggily. I couldn't help but smile back at her. I'm in far too deep. There's no way I'll be able leave her, at least not easily. This girl had sneakily wormed her way into my heart and was apparently there to stay. But she doesn't know it yet. So if I pretend to be string maybe she'll be able to leave and flee to safety.

"I'm sending word to Cointh today." I told her. "We only have six more days to figure out how to conquer the dragon."

"Are you going to allow me to help?" She teased.

"If you can actually be of some use, I'll let you help." I smirked at her. She glared at me.

"I will help you." She said stubbornly. I said nothing, and then removed myself from the bed and got ready to head out to the post office. Idril sat in bed for a minute then followed suit. We remained silent as we head towards the middle of the town. It seemed like the only the residential part of the city had bend damaged by the flames. The only public building harmed was the church the dragon had curled itself around. I gently pushed the door of the post office open and held it for Idril.

"Good afternoon." The man at the counter greeted us with a smile. "What can I help you with?"

"About how long would it take to send a letter to Corjhi?" I inquired.

"About four days." He replied. Damn, that was too long, I'll have to use magik.

"What is you mailing cost?" I'll feel terrible for a using his supplies and not properly paying him.

"Eight Loirens per item." That was actually a cheap price. I placed eight Loirens on his desk. I tried to ignore the fact that the puch dedicated to holding my money was dangerously thin. We might not have enough for food later...

"I need to small pieces of paper, of you could. I don't have enough time to mail the letter so I have to do something different. But I'll pay you anyway." I explained. The man nodded meekly and headed to the back room. When he returned he handed me the two slips of paper. I put my magik symbol given to me when I completed my apprenticeship in magik on both pieces. It was a blue sphere of swirling magik delicate tendrils rolling off some of the edges and my initials were in the center of the circle.

Then I placed one on the floor. I made sure to inscribe a simple I need you at the bottom of the paper I held in my hand, then teleported it to Corinth. Within seconds the paper I had set on the floor started quivering and gingerly hopping off the ground.

The man at the desk looked terrified while Idril seemed excited and interested in what was about to happen. Long rays of fluorescent purple light stretched from the center of the paper and slowly melded together to form the vague shape of a familiar female. Then Corinth materialized n front of my eyes.

She beamed and pulled Idril into a hug. "Idril! I was worried something happened to you! I can't believe you're okay!" Idril hummed something unrecognizable and awkwardly patted Corinth on the back. She pulled away from Idril and looked at me.

"What's wrong." She said, now completely serious.

"There's a dragon in town. I bought the town a week but I don't know what to do. It says I should give it Idril because she'll only cause me trouble."I stopped myself before I started confessing how lost I'd feel if I lost Idril. I'm supposed to be pretending to be strong. Before we could converse any father the man interrupted us.

"Wait, she's Idril?" He asked and pointed at Idril, we nodded. "This arrived from a guard of his royal majesty a few hours ago." Idril took the letter, and ripped open. From the look on her face after reading the first line was not reassuring.

"Elessar, we've got an even bigger problem." Fear claimed her eyes changing them a dark green color. "The king is sending an army here, not to kill the dragon, but to capture you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh oh... Don't worry I'll put the rest of Elwe's letter in the next chapter :)

If you didn't see the new picture of Idril that's here.

Comments are always mist appreciated :)