Sequel: The Takeover
Status: It's finally finished! Which makes me sad... I miss writing Elessar and Idril :/

Criminal

Twenty-Five

I knew my I was taking my last breath and I wanted it to be used for something worth while. So I kissed her, which I've done many times before but I kissed her more passionately than I ever previously had. I don't know what I've done to her while suspended in the darkness and I don't know why I did it but I need to make it up to her.

I waited and waited for my end to come, while holding the only girl that managed to trap my heart and her small hands. My life was fine, I guess. I could have done without the prison portion and I wouldn't mind meeting Idril a little early, but who knows, it might not have turned out the same. I was allowed to experience love, and enjoy my time with this girl and that's all I need.

I felt the cold steel of the blade press against my neck and I winced. I waited for it to sever my head from my shoulders but it didn't happen.

"Okay enough." The king yelled and I pulled away from Idril, but only slightly. Our noses were still touching and I still held her close. "I have better plans for you two... And for all stood behind you." He snapped his fingers and the dragon descended upon the horde of people we had recruited. Their screams ripped at my eardrums. There were clangs as swords bounced off the dragon's almost impenetrable scales, they probably didn't even leave a mark.

I watched as Idril's mouth hung open and tears formed in her eyes. I placed a kiss on her forehead and whispered: "Shh, it's okay, it's okay." But it's not okay. Who knows what he will do to us? We were supposed to win this battle and save Peltumbe and bring peace between the lands! What is to happen to us now? What will happen to Peltumbe and its people?

"Corinth." She whispered back. "Corinth was in the crowd." Tears fell like a waterfall down her delicate features. A stab of pain radiated throughout my body. No, she can't be dead. She always has a plan. I can't imagine a world without my childhood friend. She can't be dead... she... Can't be. I felt tears begin running down my face. It's my fault she's dead.

"Stand." The king said harshly. I obeyed and pulled Idril up with me, but I held her hand firm in my own, refusing to let go.

"Chain them up." Men clad in chain-link armor and tabards bearing the royal family's symbol appeared at our sides and tried to pull our hands behind our backs. Again, I refused to release Idril's hand.

"We're sorry." One whispered.

"He threatened to kill our families if any deserted or disobeyed him." The other finished. I pretended I didn't hear them, I don't want to hear them. I don't want to hear anything. I've failed my small army, my love, and our whole land. I deserve far more than death, which I fear I may get.

The men gave up on trying to chain us up with our hands behind our backs and instead just cuffed us together. Then we began the trek back to the castle. Well, I supposed we marched far enough the few remaining living elves left at the town couldn't see us then the king teleported (with magik, which he deemed illegal) to the front gates of the castle. Once the gates opened and we walked inside I heard a gasp.

"Idril?" A boy yelled and ran up to us.

"That's close enough Elwe." The king barked. "Wouldn't want to lose that head would we."

"N-no sir." He stuttered and stopped in his tracks. "What happened?"

"It's kind of a long story..." She muttered. "But I found out this man that is half responsible for creating me is a evil king who is lying to all his people."

"That is enough out of you young lady." The king yelled at her again. How had such a rude man raised such an amazing daughter? She is sweet and caring, yet strong... And he's weak and hides his weakness by killing others. The only thing they share are eye color and maybe their bullheadedness.

"He deserves to know how terrible of a man you are." She spat at him.

"I am your king and your father, you will not speak to me in that tone." He said with arrogance.

"You are nothing to me." She screamed. The king huffed and yanked on our chains, pulling us along.

"Seems like everything is still the same... Except for the boy... Who is he by the way?" Elwe, I believe his name was questioned. I assume he has noticed us hold hands.

"I'm Elessar." I introduced myself. "The man she currently loves." I hadn't realized how jealous I was until that sentenced slipped from my lips.

"Oh, I'm Elwe, currently her best friend, and it has been that way since she was two." He mimicked my jealous tone.

"Could you boys please try and get along, I mean we're about to be killed for Christ's sake and you're jealous?" She scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was at first... But how am I not supposed to be jealous?" I murmured quietly. "You're gorgeous and perfect in every way and I don't want to lose you." A smile played on her lips, but she tried to remain angry.

"How am I not supposed to be jealous?" Elwe said louder. "I'm your best friend, the one who has always been by your side. I went to all your freaking tea parties and pretended to like when you put all those ugly bows in my hair." He fumed.

"Hey, those bows were gorgeous." She said defensively.

"He's a criminal!" He shouted, ignoring Idril.

"Ouch." I said and feigned being hurt. "Never heard that one before."

"I am too, now." Idril murmured. Guilt wrapped it's sickly tendrils around my heard and squeezed with all it's might.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. "I know it's my fault, and I believe you deserve more. I caused you to go from princess to convict. I'm sorry I sentenced us both to death."

"Hey..." She said and gently squeezed my hand. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

"Unless it was me... Right?" Elwe butted in. When would he just leave. Now is not the time to try and force your way into our relationship. We're both about to die, you aren't going to get between us. I hope.

"Elwe, get back to your post." He king sighed. Wait... Did this man have feelings? Does he actually care for his daughter and the man she loves? Well, he care enough to send the pest away... But doesn't care enough to admit he did something wrong and let us free.

I hadn't noticed but we had made it to the dungeon. It was well lit for a dungeon... It was practically a bedroom, except for the door had was a normal iron jail door instead of one of the giant, intricately patterned wooden doors.

"Is this were you kept my mother?" Idril muttered softly. She wasn't angry, she was sad. Her mom had been so close for so many years, while Idril had believed she was dead. My mom would have loved her. I can imagine them sitting and drinking tea while talking for hours about little things I do that are strange or if I had proposed. She'd probably ask if we were going to have children. But that will only happen in my imagination. It seems so perfect, I can see our lives being laid out in front of my eyes, which has never happened. I've never wanted to settle down, and now that I finally do I'm going to die.

"Yes." The king whispered. "I did love her, you know. And I do love you. I just... I made some stupid choices when I was younger and as a king I need to follow through with them."

"Like killing your own daughter?" She had one of her usual mood swings and was now furious. I'm going to miss those, I'm going to miss everything about her.

"I... I don't know what to do with you." He sighed.

"Well can you at least keep us together?" She asked so quietly I barely caught it. "If I am to die I want to spend my last days with him. Father, I've never felt like this towards anyone, not even Elwe." I watched as her pleading began to melt him. He had a soft spot in his heart for his daughter, as all fathers should.

"Please, daddy." She whimpered and tears formed in her eyes. "It's the only thing I want. I'd rather die and stay with him than live the rest of our days separated."

"Fine, but no..." He sighed. "Just go." He opened the door, removed our shackles, and shoved us inside, then stormed off.

"Did you see all the grey coloring his hair." She whispered and put her head on my chest as I brought her into a hug. "That wasn't there when I left. He looks so much old, and so very tired."

"He's been worrying about you." I said then placed a kiss on the top of her head.

"No," She scoffed. "He's been worrying about the kingdom."

"Yes, but that doesn't mean he wasn't worried about you." I explained. "The way he broke when you pointed out he'd probably have to kill you. The way he listened to me apologize for bringing this fate to you. He loves you, he just doesn't know how to show it and remain King at the same time."

"Let's not talk about my father." She pushed me on the bed. "I want you to hold me for a little while. Nothing else. Just hold me and do that cute thing where you kiss the top of my head and play with the ends of my hair."

I chuckled. "Someone is needy." But I did as she said anyway, I don't have to be asked twice to hold her tight.

"I missed you." She said seriously. "You weren't yourself and you repeatedly smashed my heart to bits... But the real Elessar shone through twice, and that kept me hanging on."

"I'm sorry. I thought I was sleeping, that's what it felt like. I don't remember any of it." My eyebrows knit together. "Except... Your face, you were surprised, your jaw was hanging open and you were clutching your knee."

"You... Kinda stabbed me." She sounded embarrassed. "I was testing you, seeing if it was the real you or if it was the dragon controlling you as Corinth thought and you got really angry and slammed your fist down. But you were holding this sharpened piece of wood and hit me. But real you came through and fixed it for me and all I have is this scar." She pulled up her dress to reveal a jagged pattern of raised and slightly lighter skin. I ran my fingers over it and frowned. I've caused her a lot of trouble.

"I think of it as your mark." She explained. "I'll always have proof that you existed and that I loved you."

"I love you too, I hope you know that." I looked down into her eyes. "I know I don't say it enough and you probably thought I would never say it again, but you mean the world to me." She smiled up at me.

"Thank you." She stretched her neck and placed a peck on my lips. My side from the top of my hip all the way up my ribs began to tingle. I sat up, forcing Idril off of me, gently of course, and lifted up my shirt to see black begin trailing down my side. I had honestly forgotten about my royalty mark for a while.

Idril must have felt it to because she moved her dress to reveal as little as possible while making her new mark visible. I pulled her close to me, putting her right side against my left. The marks matched up again.

"We must be doing something right." She muttered as her finger traced the intertwining marks. I shivered in response to her light touch.

"We must." I didn't pay attention to what words had fallen from my mouth as I pulled her into me. Our hands hungrily searched for openings, pulling at each others clothing desperately searching for skin.

We still didn't know what our future held, but I'd be damned if I was going to let this indefinite amount of time alone with Idril slip away without showing enjoying myself a little. Also, it felt empowering to do something so naughty in the King's domain.
♠ ♠ ♠
Have I ever said I enjoy the word naughty. Not it's mean per say, just the way it sounds. If you can keep a straight face while saying the word 'naughty' you're my hero.

Anyway I got two comments from awesome people and I appreciate it. This story is getting slightly popular and I can't help but smile when I see all the people enjoying it :)

Thank you all!