Status: the story is overrrrr. BUT ficlets here and there!

Lightning in a Bottle

Ficlet 2: Baby Tomlinson

I woke up to the shrill sound of my phone ringing. It took me a second to realize what was happening before I had to strain myself against Niall to reach for my phone on the nightstand. It was a challenge since he was clinging to my midsection like his life depended on it. I love my husband with all my being, but sometimes, his koala like sleep habits were a pain in the ass.

When I reached for my phone I saw Eleanor’s name brightly lit up on my screen before I noticed it was almost 5am. Her name, and the time of this call is what really woke me up, “Is the baby coming?” I said excitedly into the phone as soon as I answered. Niall groaned and rolled off of me onto his own damn pillow.

I heard my friend giggle, “Yeah, my water broke. We’re headed to the hospital now.”

“You sound so calm right now,” I said as I sat up in bed trying t become more awake.

“I know, I don’t get it either,” she laughed. “Louis is a nervous wreck and he’s speeding.”

“YOU’RE GOING INTO LABOR!” I heard him shriek in the background.

“Calm down babe, everything is fine,” she assured him. “Ayden, you’re still there right?”

“Of course.”

“Will you meet us at the hospital? I think I need you,” her voice wavered a bit at the end. “God, these contractions are still pretty far apart but they are insanely painful! Wow!” She breathed.

I pushed the comforter off my lower half, “Yeah, we’ll be there as soon as possible.”

“Thank you,” she sighed. “I’m gonna call everyone else now. I’ll see you soon.”

When we hung up I turned to Niall, “Wake up! Baby, get up!”

“No, it’s too early,” he whined and rolled into his pillow more.

“Baby Tomo is coming! Get up!”

His head shot up at that, “What? Now?”

“Yes, now! Eleanor just called, they’re on their way to the hospital and they want us there. Come on get up!”

He scrambled to get out of the bed so fast his legs got caught in the sheets and he rolled right over the side. I couldn’t help but laugh when I heard his grown, “Good job there Ni.”

“Fuck,” he sighed. He pulled himself up and frantically looked around the floor. “Is it rude to just wear sweats?”

“No,” I said as I leaned over and grabbed a black pair of his sweats that were on the floor near me and stepped into them. “Just put something on!” I said as I glanced at him; he was still standing there confused in nothing but briefs. I turned my attention to finding the bra I had thrown to the floor last night.

It took us about 5 minutes to throw random articles of clothes on before we headed to the door. I threw my messy hair into a bun and Niall shoved a snapback on his bed head before we both raced out the door in baby excitement.

“This is so exciting!” Niall said as we were pulling out of the driveway. “New baby in the family!”

I giggled at his excitement and laced my fingers through his on the gear shift. I curled up in the passenger seat and stared fondly at his profile as he drove. We’ve been married for only 3 months and it’s been the best 3 months of my life so far. I’ve never felt more loved.

When word got out that we’d gotten married (somehow our marriage license leaked) there was media frenzy! Everyone was speculating why we’d eloped; if I was pregnant, if we were trying to save our ‘rocky relationship,’ and so on. So many media outlets from all over the world were blowing up my phone and my manager’s office asking for comment. It wasn’t that we wanted to keep it a secret, it’s just that we didn’t’ care to share that with the world. Yeah, Niall was in the biggest boy band on the planet, but his (ours) personal life was still privet.

In the end, it was Harry that officially confirmed it. Nick Grimshaw had called him one morning, a week after our marriage and got it out of him. We knew he was going to, Grimmy had asked if he could talk to Niall and I about it, and we shoved it off on Harry who was always down to be cheeky on the radio. That, and he loved telling a good story. He didn’t say much, just that we wanted it to be intimate and just the family and that we were really happy.

Being married didn’t change much overall really. I mean, we had already been living together and all that, it was just official now. But at the same time, we were kind of different now. Like, Niall always wanted me there with him everywhere; knee checkups, physical therapy. Even band stuff like, he wanted me to tag along to interviews or appearances. I didn’t mind though, I wanted to be with him just as much as he did. Plus, it meant I could keep the very pregnant Eleanor company since Louis never liked to let her out of his sight.

It was still so weird to me though. As I sat in the car and watched his profile as he drove, it was moments like these that hit me- this was my husband. He was stuck with me forever… well unless he wanted a divorce or something, and even then he had to pay to get rid of me. I couldn’t even imagine a day where I wouldn’t want to be with him. I could probably sit for hours and just look at him.

He sent me a fleeting glance before he smirked and looked back to the road, “You’re staring.”

“I know,” I said with no shame.

He chuckled, “Why are you staring at me?”

“Because I love you.”

He smiled, still watching the road, and brought our attached hands up to his lips and kissed across my knuckles. “I love you too. More than words.”

“Will you write me sonnets about how much you love me?”

“Just call me Shakespeare, my love.”

*****

We got to the hospital right when Dakota and Harry were pulling in. We waited for them by the nurses’ station. “Is anyone else here yet?” Kota asked as she pulled me into a greeting hug followed my Harry soon after.

Niall shrugged, “I don’t know, we just got here.” We all turned to ask the nurse where our friends were and she directed us to the right room.

The Tomlinson’s had their own spacious delivery room. When we walked in, Eleanor was somewhat relaxed in a bed that was propping her up in a sitting position and Louis was hovering above her. “Oh hey, you made it,” she sighed when she saw us walk in.

“Of course we did,” Harry scoffed.

“Is anyone else here?”

“I didn’t see anyone else yet,” I said.

He ran an anxious hand through his hair, “Our families said they’d be here sometime. It’s just our mom’s coming though since our families are so big. And-”

“Someone please calm him down!” Eleanor sighed as she dropped her head against the pillow. “Take him away and give him a pep talk or something.”

“I’m not leaving you! You’re about to have a baby!”

She rolled her eyes at her husband, “I’m only 3 centimeters love, we’ve got some time.”

“Come on Lou,” Niall said as he put a comforting arm around his frazzled friend. “Let’s go get you some tea.”

Louis tried to protest but the lads dragged him out of the room muttering about getting him a tea or a shot of vodka.

As soon as the door closed behind him Eleanor visibly relaxed, “Jesus.” She rubbed her face and now I could see how nervous she was, “I’m trying to keep it together for him because he’s about 10 minutes away from having a coronary, but holy shit I’m freaking out!”

Dakota and I rushed to either side of her bed, “You’re gonna be fine,” Kota soothed. “People give birth all the time.”

She nodded, “I know, but oh my god, these contractions are dreadful, how am I going to shove a full on baby out of me?!” She was getting frantic.

“Okay, okay,” I pushed some hair out of her face. “You can do this, you’re going to be fine. Remember everything you learned from the birthing classes. Do your breathing exercises and relax. It’ll be over before you know it.”

“I want an epidural. I’ve decided I want an epidural.”

“And that’s totally okay,” Dakota agreed. Eleanor had originally planned to have a completely natural birth, but we all knew as soon as she felt the pain of the first contractions she’d change her mind. That’s exactly how my aunt was when she had Finn.

We sat there calming her down and reassuring her how strong she was when the rest of our friends started to trickle in as well as nurses checking her dilation and contractions and shooting her up with the epidural.

The room was full with our friends and Eleanor and Louis parents. All the siblings were to come later after the birth (someone had to watch all of Louis younger siblings). “This is so exciting,” Perrie jumped a little next to me. We were standing in the back of the room as everyone else backed up to give Louis and El time with their parents. “I can’t wait to have my own babies,” she cooed shooting Zayn a look. They were still waiting until both of their careers slowed down to get married and have kids. Forever engaged those two.

I excused myself from the room to make a call to my Aunt to tell her I couldn’t make it into the bakery this morning. I’d been taking over more and more of the responsibility of running the place for her since she was planning to expand her family. She and Will were trying for baby number 2!

I was just hanging up with her when Louis walked out of the room. He spotted me a ways down the hall and walked over to me. He sighed as he leaned against the wall next to me. “You doing alright Lou?”

He looked tired, stressed and panicked plus he was super fidgety. He didn’t’ even look at me as he shook his head, “No. No I’m not.” He sighed as rubbed the heel of his hands into his eyes before pulling at his fringe. “Holy shit, I’m going to be a father.” He looked at me panicked, “Am I ready for this?”

“I think it’s a bit late to question that Louis. Your child is coming whether you’re ready or not.”

I watched as his Adams apple bobbed. I’ve never seen him this nervous and freaked out. “I know. But… what if I’m shit at this? I mean, I’ll be gone a lot and I won’t be there for the big moments and-”
“Louis, breathe, mate!” I stood in front of him and put my hands on his shoulders to try and help relax him. “Take deep breaths with me, yeah? In and out,” he nodded as he took deep breathes with me. “Calm down alright? You need to be strong for Eleanor right now, okay?” He nodded. “You’re going to be a fantastic father. I know you are. I’ve seen you with your siblings, and even Lux, Finn and Theo. You’re great with kids.”

“It’s different when it’s your own though!” he cut me off. “It’s up to me if they grow up fucked up!”
“Louis,” I smiled as I shook my head. “You’re kid is not going to grow up fucked up. They’re going to be surrounded by love. Just think about all the people they’re going to have around them! Your massive family and Eleanor’s. Your band! Not to mention they’re have Perrie and Dakota and I too, Sophia too,” I shrugged. “That baby is going to be so loved it won’t know what to do with it all.” I watched as he slowly began to relax. “And you’re going to travel a lot yeah, but Eleanor and the baby can come with you. The Osbournes did it! You can get a whole bus just for you and your little family!” I encouraged. “And when they can’t travel with you, there’s skype! Plus the girls and I, and your family will be there for them when you can’t be there physically.” I patted his cheek affectionately, “You’re going to be fine Louis. You’re going to be okay, I promise. You’re going to be fantastic at this parenting thing, I know it.”

He sighed as he nodded before he enveloped me into a hug. He rested his face into my shoulder, “Thank you Ayden.”

“Of course,” I rubbed his back reassuringly. “I meant every word of what I said. You and Eleanor are going to be amazing parents.”

“Thank you,” he mumbled.

“Do me a favor though?” I asked just as softly. He hummed in question. “I’m gonna need you to be strong for your wife right now.” His grip around my shoulders tightened briefly. “She’s trying to keep it together for you, but she’s just as freaked out as you are. You need to be her rock right now.”

He chuckled a bit, “That’s what you’re for.”

“Excuse me?”

He laughed again and pulled back to look at me, “Ever since Niall brought you into our lives, you’ve been this… I don’t know, voice of reason and knowledge that we all need.” He shrugged, “Remember when Harry and Dakota went through that shit storm? You were there for both of them, even though you had just met them. You’re still like their couples counselor!” I shrugged bashfully at his words. “You’re always there to straighten Nialler out when he’s got an issue, and always there when someone calls with a problem you’re there, no matter what time it is. You’re all our rock Ayden. You have to know that.”

I blushed, I couldn’t help it! I was completely touched by his words. “Well I don’t know about all that, but thank you Louis.”

He wrapped an arm around my shoulders again but steered us back down the hall towards the delivery room. “It’s true though. You can deny it all you want, but we love you. We’ve chosen you just as much as Niall has, you’re stuck with us ‘til death do us part’ too babe.”

I squeezed his side, “Thank you. I actually like the sound of that.”

He kissed the side of my head, “Good. Now let’s go be rocks for my love. We’re about to be parents,” he sighed nervously.

“You’ve got this.”

*****

“You’re fully dilated Mrs. Tomlinson,” The nurse announced. “And your contractions are really close and intense, yeah?”

“Yes!” Eleanor breathed through a wince.

“Alright, we’re going to need to clear the room for delivery, so anyone you don’t want in here should leave,” the nurse said, eyeing the huge group.

“We’re gonna have it just be us and our parents,” Louis replied.

She nodded and turned to all of us, “Then will you all go down the hall to the waiting room? It’s time to get baby Tomlinson into the world,” she smiled.

We all trickled out of the waiting room, giving premature congratulations and good lucks as we did so before we all settled into the waiting room for an undetermined amount of time.

“How long is labor?” Liam mused aloud.

“It all depends,” Harry said.

“Yeah,” I agreed. “It could be minutes or hours. It all depends on the person and the baby.”

Niall slouched to lounge in the not nearly comfortable enough cloth waiting room chair next to me, “We could be in for the long haul, mate. Get comfortable.” His arm came up to rest on the back of my chair.

“Is anyone hungry?” Zayn asked as he and Perrie stood up. “Tea, coffee? We’re gonna make a run to the cafeteria.” We all shot out random orders before they left and went back to trying to get comfortable in the chairs.

“I’m so tired,” Niall mumbled.

I chuckled, “You’re always tired.”

“Yeah but having to get up so early after last night.” He looked over at me and smirked, “Last night you wore me out with the-”

“Please don’t finish that sentence!” Dakota demanded as she leaned around me to glare at Niall. “We don’t need to hear about your sex life!”

Niall flipped her off jokingly and rearranged himself to get comfortable. That ended up with him lying on his back into my lap while his legs hung over the end of the chair. “Well I’m glad you’re comfortable.”

“Shh,” he hissed and blindly swiped his fingers down my face. “I’m not very comfortable if that makes you feel any better.”

I hummed in response and tried to get comfortable myself. Liam and Sophia were across the aisle from us, Sophia curled into Liam’s side as they both watched the tellie that was on some early morning news show. Dakota was next to me, and had her legs thrown up over Harry’s lap, leaning into my side. Harry caught my eye, “Clearly we’re the pillows in our relationships.”

“It’s because we’re cuddly.”

“You really are,” Kota agreed as she obnoxiously turned her head and blew into my neck.

I shoved her face off, “Quit it, you knob.”

“I love yoooou!” she cooed.

“I love you too.”

*****

Almost an hour and a half into waiting Louis came racing into the room, “She’s here!” he cheered. “And she’s perfect!” He had tears in his eyes and he was trembling but he looked so ecstatic.

“She?” Kota said with a massive smile. “It’s a girl?”

Louis nodded, “Yes. Darcy Louise Tomlinson. 10 fingers and 10 toes, 17 inches, 3 kilo’s and she’s perfect!”

“When can we see her?” Sophia asked. She and the rest of us were practically jumping with excitement.

“They’re cleaning El and Darcy up and then you can come in. I’ll come back and get you guys, I just wanted to tell you.” He whipped fallen tears from his face as he beamed at us, “Guys I’m a father!”
“Yeah you are!” Niall cheered before we all rushed him and crowded him in a group hug. We were all crying and laughing and cooing at him, giving him words of encouragements and congrats.

“Alright, alright! I gotta get back there. I’ll come out or a nurse will when you can come back in the room!” He said before he rushed off.

“Holy shit, one of us has a kid!” Zayn said in awe. “Like… we’re finally, actually grown up now, lads,” he looked at the remainder of his band mates.

“Shit, it’s like, so real now, you know?” Harry mumbled.

“I think you four need a moment,” Kota laughed, but she was being serious as she pushed Harry towards where Liam and Zayn were. Niall shuffled over as well and us ladies stood back and watched them embrace each other. It was such a sweet One Direction moment, and for a split second, it was like looking at those young lads on the X-Factor stage being put into a band.

They were all mumbling things to each other in their huddle, slapping their backs; and then they turned to us. Before I could process what those looks meant they were on us, shoving us into another group hug.

Then we paired off, and it was just me and Niall. He held me in a tight embrace and buried his face in my neck. I could feel his smile against my skin and a warm feeling spread through me as I wrapped my arms around him, running my fingers in his hair.

*****

Baby Darcy was the cutest little thing. She had a head of dark hair like her mother, and her father’s bright blue eyes.

When we walked back into the room the first thing we saw was baby Tomo curled into new mommy Eleanor (who was absolutely glowing as she looked down at her daughter) while her daddy gazed down at the both of them adoringly. “Come meet our daughter,” Eleanor smile at us when she was us.

Then we played ‘pass the precious little angel.’

When she got to me I became a weepy mess. She was just so tiny and perfect and looked so much like both of her parents. She was looking up at me like I was a God, which I guess, for her this was all new.

Then I passed her off to Niall and almost lost it. Niall and kids has always hit me in the guts. He was so good with them and he just looked so sexy holding Darcy at that moment, I knew as soon as we left the hospital, whenever that would be, I’d throw myself at him. He was rocking her and talking softly to her as if she could understand ever single word, with a dopey smile on his face. He was just so good with her.

When he passed the baby off to the next person waiting, I took the opportunity to curl myself into his chest. He welcomed me without question, securing his arms around my waist and tucking my head under his chin. I smiled softly as I watched Dakota and Harry have their turn cooing over the little bundle of joy before I turned my face into Niall’s neck.

He kissed my temping and squeezed me tighter too him. “Someday,” I whispered so only he could hear.

“Hmm?” he hummed against my ear.

I hugged closer to him, “Our friends will be passing our baby around someday, Ni.”

“Oh really?” he asked just as softly, I could hear his smile.

“Mhm. And it’ll have your smile and your eyes,” I mused. “I hope they look just like you.”

I felt a silent laugh rumble against his chest, “I hope they look like you.”

I kissed his collarbone affectionately, “Maybe we can each have a little mini me.”

“I like the sound of that.”

“Oi!” Louis bellowed at us. “What are you two whispering about? You’re supposed to be fawning over my kid! I made that you know!”

Niall and I both started laughing, “We know Louis. And what a fantastic thing you made,” I smiled. I caught Eleanor’s eye and she blew me a kiss to which I returned.

I felt so at home here with everyone. We were one big family that was slowly growing and we’ve never been closer.
♠ ♠ ♠
i love this ficlet!