Status: the story is overrrrr. BUT ficlets here and there!

Lightning in a Bottle

I see a mess in the mirror, but you see the girl of your dreams

I had to go to New York for a couple days to do a small shoot for Seventeen magazine. It was more of a favor to Blue because I was doing the shoot with one of her photographer friends.

I had to go alone since Niall couldn’t miss any of his physical therapy plus he had band stuff to do. Even though they were on a break, they still had obligations.

I did however convince my brother, Daniel, to fly out and spend the week with me in New York. It was fun doing touristy things with him. It was nice not being mobbed by fans like I was when I was with Niall or one of the others. I still got stopped a few times, and there were a few paps around, but it was doable. I didn’t need a security guy to trail us, and everyone was calm.

“Can we please take the ferry ride to the Statue of Liberty?” Daniel asked. We were hanging out in my hotel room, taking our time waking ourselves up. It was day 3 on my 6 day stay and so far all I’d really done was work.

“That sounds awesome actually, so yes. I just have to go into the Seventeen office, should only take about an hour to get whatever they need handled.”

He nodded, “Sounds good. I think I’ll go walk around while you do that. I was bored out of my mind last time I went with you.”

“Fair enough. Let’s get breakfast first though, yeah?”

*****

All they needed me to do in the Seventeen office was look through my pictures and sign off that they could use them for specific ads and stuff. I also made them put a 1 year clause in the contract because I didn’t really want them to continue to use my pocture over time. Someday I might hate these pictures and didn’t need them popping up. That’s what I’ve learned about doing things in America, always read the fine print, and always give them set rules.

Once I was done though I was free to go. As I was headed to the lifts, I heard someone call my name, “Ayden? Ayden!” I turned around and saw Demi Lovato coming down the hall.

“Oh hey Demi,” I smiled as she reached me and embraced me in a hug.

“I thought I recognized the future Mrs. Horan. Let me see that ring girl!” She grabbed my left hand to get a close look at my engagement ring.

Things with Demi and I were nothing but friendly now. I’d long since gotten over feeling threatened by her and Niall’s kind of/sort of relationship they’d had, and all that crap he pulled at the VMA’s a few years ago. He finally introduced up properly a few years ago when she was on tour in the UK, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t instantly fall in love with her. She was hard not to love. She was an amazing talent and an inspiring person, and she didn’t take any shit from anyone, I loved that. “This is such a beautiful ring! It’s so you!”

I laughed, “I know, he did good didn’t he?”

She nodded, letting go of my hand, “You got the congratulations flowers I sent, right?”

“Yes, they were beautiful!” Just days after news of Niall and I’s engagement went public, a massive bouquet of different colored roses came to our door. Must have cost a fortune, and the card said they were from her. “I posted a pic of them on instagram even!”

“I do remember seeing that,” she nodded. “So what are you doing here? Is Niall with you?” We walked into a lift and headed to the ground floor of the offices.

“No, he had to stay in London because of his knee and band stuff. I’m just doing a quick spread for the magazine and visiting with my brother for a few days.”

“Getting the tourist stuff in?” she laughed.

I nodded, “Yeah. Hey if you’re not busy we should get dinner before I leave. I’m here for 3 more days.”

“Yes, I’d love that. I’m busy tonight, but tomorrow?”

“Works for me. I’ve got nothing planned for the last few days except enjoying the city with Daniel.” The lift doors opened and we both walked out into the lobby.

“Awesome, so I’ll text you when I figure out a time? I’ve got a few meetings tomorrow, but I’ll make sure I have time for dinner with you. Bring Daniel too!”

“He’s going to be so star stuck, he loves you.” I smirked, “Hey, are you single?”

She barked out a laugh, “Don’t even! But I need to get going,” she said pulling me into a hug, “But I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Okay. Enjoy the rest of your day!”

*****

“We’re having dinner with Demi Lovato tomorrow?” my brother squeaked. We had just gotten off the ferry from seeing the Statue of Liberty when I offhandedly mentioned it to him.

“Yeah, that’s okay right?”

“Is it okay? Is it okay?! Ayden! You can’t just spring this on me! She’s, like, the hottest thing to come out of the Disney Channel! Or as I like to call that, her ‘dark period.’”

“Do you have like a secret Demi closet I don’t know about or something?”

He scoffed at me, “No, but she’s my celebrity crush! What if… What if… who the hell is your celebrity crush? Put yourself in my shoes here woman!”

“Aside from my fiancé?” I laughed, “I have no idea. Maybe Mark Hoppus? I’ve met a few people I’ve loved before. But I get your point. If I ever get to meet a member of Blink 182, I’d probably pee me pants.”

“Exactly! There should be like a rule where you have to give someone 72 hour notice of these kinds of things!” He looked flushed and I was trying real hard not to laugh at his mini fangirl moment.

“Well I only ran into her 2 hours ago, so I’m sorry I didn’t follow the rules. You don’t have to come you know,” I smirked.

“No, no. I’ve been waiting for a moment like this since I found out my sister was famous.”

I smacked his arm, “Shut up, I’m not famous, my friends are.”

He scoffed, “You’re famous. Broke my heart when I found out that all your famous friends are taken though. Seriously, give Perrie Edwards my number. If her relationship falls through, I’m waiting.”

“Remind me never to let you come back to the UK ever again.”

*****

It was around 3 when we headed back to the hotel. We were planning on hitting up a club tonight so Daniel wanted a nap beforehand since we got up a bit early.

I was laying on my bed flipping channels on the tellie when I got a text from Niall asking to Skype. When I opened my laptop and skype called him, his face was filling up my screen within seconds, “Babe!” he cheered with a massive smile on his face. He was sitting in the living room, the tellie on behind him, “I miss you. Come home.”

I laughed, “Soon. Just 3 more days. How are things?”

He made a face, “It’s alright. My knee’s been dodgy and giving me shit, but it’s whatever. Doctor says it’s normal.”

“Is it painful?”

“Oh yeah.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” I cooed.

He shrugged, “What about you? How’s New York? How’s Danny boy? How was the shoot?”

I laughed at all his questions and started telling him about the past few days. He nodded along and made a few comments here and there before he turned towards the tellie. I mumbled off my words since I was pretty sure he wasn’t paying any attention to me, happened all the time on skype with him, “Niall,” I tried getting his attention. “Niiiiall,” I drawled. Still nothing. I groaned, “Niall!”

He laughed at something before turning back to me with a cheeky grin, “Babe!”

I rolled my eyes, “Why did you want to skype if you’re watching the tellie?” I laughed.

“You’re beautiful.”

“I hate you.”

“You love me.”

“Maybe.”

“Well I love you!”

I stuck my tongue out at him, “Yeah, I think I love you too.”

“So what were you saying? You’re having dinner with Demi?”

“Yeah,” I nodded. “I ran into her at the Seventeen office and we made plans.”

“Give her my love yeah?”

I nodded, “Of course. So what are you doing tonight then?”

He shrugged, “Having some mates over for a lads night.”

“A lads night?” I repeated, “You mean a party?”

He smirked, “Well basically yeah.”

I laughed, “If James Arthur attends this one, keep him away from my records. He always puts them back in the wrong order and it drives me mad.”

“You’re such a nerd,” he laughed.

“I’m sorry, but The Beatles have no business being anywhere near Vanilla Ice! Everyone knows that!”

“Why do you even have Vanilla Ice?”

I scoffed, “It was a gift from Blue when we were 12. We liked ‘Ice, Ice, Baby.’ Who doesn’t?”

He shook his head, “I’ll make sure no one touches your records babe, don’t worry.”

“That’s all I ask.”

He leaned his head on his hand and stared at me through the screen, “I miss you. I hate when we’re apart.”

“We’re always apart, you should be used to this at this late in the game.”

“No one ever gets used to be away from the people they love,” he scoffed. “Not all of us have a heart of steel!”

“Hey! I miss you too!” I pouted, “I was just pointing out that we’ve gone longer without being around each other. There was like, a solid 10 or so months where we didn’t even speak remember?”

“Those are the dark ages! We don’t talk about those, they’re written out of our history. We won’t be telling the grandkids that stuff.”

My stomach lurched at the word ‘grandkids,’ but I wasn’t sure if it was in a good or bad way. It was uncomfortable, either way. “So are you gonna drink tonight?” I asked steering the conversation around, “You’re not supposed to mix your pain meds with alcohol.”

“Thanks mom,” he scoffed. “But I think I’ll be fine. I’ll have one pint.”

“Niall,” I warned. “No.”

“Don’t worry Ayd, I’ll be fine. I’m Irish!”

I scoffed, “Drinking while on heavy medication is stupid. And ‘I’m Irish’ isn’t a valid excuse for anything. Sorry to disappoint.”

“Don’t patronize me,” I watched him roll his eyes. “One drink isn’t going to do anything, seriously.”

“Yes it could! And I know you, you can’t just have on pint!”

He scoffed, “Fuck you, I can too!”

“You’re acting like a brat.”

“Oh I’m acting like a brat? Pot calling the kettle black yeah?”

I rolled my eyes, suppressing a groan, “Niall, I swear to god if you drink-”

“Whatever!” he said over me. Which did nothing but really piss me off. He was thinking about doing something that could really harm him. “God, give it a rest.”

“Yeah, whatever. Do what you want, I don’t care,” I said before slamming my laptop shut. I was fuming. I threw myself back against my pillows and focused on the tellie. I’d left it on some old Sex and The City rerun and tried to focus my attention on it, but it was useless. Just thinking about the conversation Niall and I just had was so mental. Who’s stupid enough to drink while on a shit load of pain killers? Even one pint could really fuck him up.

Sometimes it was like being with a child.

About 10 minutes after I shut my laptop on him, Niall called my phone. I just let it ring. If he wanted to act like a child, then so would I!

When my phone rang for the second time though I caved, “What?” I snapped when I answered.

I heard him sigh, “I’m sorry. I was an asshole, I won’t drink.”

My heart melted at the sad tone in his voice. It was so frustrating sometimes how easily he could get me to forgive him, “I’m sorry too. I just don’t want you to do something that could harm your body. Even one drink while on your meds and-”

“I know Ayd, I know. And I get why you’re so worked up about it. I won’t drink tonight alright? Promise.”

I sighed, “Thank you. I love you, yeah? If something happened to you I don’t know what I’d do.”

“I know. I feel the same. I’m sorry for snapping at you. I hate when we fight. Especially when we’re not in the same country.” I could hear the small smile in his voice.

“Me too. Let’s just move on from that.”

“Deal. So when do you come home again? The bed’s cold without you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, so this is the only story i'm writing that i don't have writers block for.
i can literally open a blank page on word, and it fuck flows right out of me. this is probably my favorite story/characters i've ever written.

with my Liam story, and my [url-http://www.mibba.com/Stories/Read/532235/Fear-of-Flying/]Zayn[/url] story, i might just put them on hiatus until this reluctance to write them goes away.
that and no ones really commented on them so i just have no motivation to write them even more.
idk i'm hoping i just wake up one morning in the mood to write them.

dragging my 19 year old brother to see the 1D movie with me tomorrow. cheers for not awkwardly going alone! as anyone seen it already?