Status: Hey! So, please excuse the out-of-sequence story line. I'm working on this as much as I can. Enjoy! :)

The Unknown Tale of Arthur Pendragon

Chapter 2

There was a small voice emanating from under a pile of wood. I raised an eyebrow and looked around, trying to figure out who had made the sound. "You. Dummy. They're looking for you, aren't they?" The same voice asked. I nodded weakly as the guards came closer. "Get under here." With no other options, I dropped to the ground, and a small hand made an area for me to sit under the wood. Looking over, I saw a small, blue-eyed girl about 9 years of age. She had dirty blonde hair, and mud smeared across her innocent features. "Help me cover you up." She whispered, looking over at the approaching guards. "C'mon. They only have one more house." I grabbed a piece of discarded wood and covered up the opening to my spot. This left only a small amount of light pouring in through the cracks. I sat curled up in a dark space with a small girl beside me, shivering. The moments passed by agonizingly slowly, making my heart beat harder than it ever had before. The little girl looked at me, putting her finger up to her mouth, making a, "Shhhh" motion. "I can hear your heart beating." She whispered, poking my chest. A small smile spread across my face, and I returned my gaze to the cracks between the wood.
I held my breath.
The guards stood in front of us, facing the door opposite to our small shelter. One guard slammed his fist on the door, and a few seconds later, a small elderly woman opened the door.
"Well, hello." She said in a shaky voice.
"Good day, ma'am. Have you seen this man?" There was a pause, and I saw the elderly woman eyeing the picture. "I'm sorry, gentlemen. I haven't seen him." The guards nodded in sync, and continued down the alley. The woman closed her door, and I heard the door lock. I let out my breath, and the small girl beside me giggled. "Why are they chasing you? Did a princess fall in love with you?" She smiled, with her eyes sparkling. I patted her head, and smiled back, "No. I'm in trouble. How did you know they were looking for me?"
She shrugged. "I just knew." Nodding, I moved the wood to look down the alley. The guards were only a few houses down. "You might need to stay here for a while. I don't have food enough for two, though." I shrugged, putting the wood back. "Don't worry. I'll be okay for the night. What's your name?"
The little girl turned around, opening a small satchel, and pulling out bread, barely enough for one person. She looked at me, and broke the piece in half, handing a portion to me. I chuckled, and pushed her hand back. "You keep it." Nodding, she began eating the rations slowly. I sat, watching her as time passed. "My name is Ilia." She whispered after a while. "Why are you here? Where are your parents?"
She hesitated again, taking two bites. "King Gale," was her only response.
"King Gale?" I echoed. Ilia nodded, brushing hair out of her face. "My father was a wizard. King Gale burned my father at the stake, my mother too, by association."
I looked down, "That's a lot for a young girl to go through. Why didn't he get you?"
Ilia shrugged, "My mom made me run away." I sighed, nodding. I moved the wood a bit so I could look down the alley, seeing the guard almost at the exit. "I'm going to leave soon." I whispered, putting the wood in its spot. Ilia looked down, not arguing.
Moving the wood aside more, I began to exit the little hut. Once I had finally stood up, I brushed myself off, looking down with sympathy at the little shivering girl. It had gotten considerably darker out since the guards had passed. The alarm bells were still ringing, making me question whether or not the guards were still searching for me. Shrugging, I assumed so, and decided not to speak to any civilian. I began walking down the alley in the direction the guards had originally entered, not minding the silence that Arulen tended to have around nightfall.
I quietly made my way down to the lower town successfully. There were no torches lit, making moving very easy yet difficult. Looking up, I saw a guard post at the exit of the town. Swearing under my breath, I surveyed my surroundings. Grinning, I walked over to a barrel, forming plans in my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey! Sorry, short chapter, and no readers on the last one. *sigh*

I'm going out of town this weekend, and then school starts, so I don't know when I'll update.

Anyway, if you read this, I love you! Thanks so much for the support!
~Revenge