With Just a Dash of Adultery and a Heap of Regret.

1/4

Lindsey Way let out a frustrated sigh; Why now? She thought. With only fifteen minutes before having to leave with her band on tour, Lindsey was having a difficult time trying to find her familiar crimson red lipstick. She knew it was in the bathroom somewhere… She swore she saw it next to the little mirror last night. Why didn’t I put it in my suitcase then?

Lindsey ran a hand through her long, knotted dark hair before grabbing a band to tie it back with. With her hands on her hips, she marched out of the bathroom into the master bedroom she shared with her husband… who was still sound asleep in bed. Well, it was five in the morning.

She furrowed her eyebrows, now feeling annoyed as well as tired. Gerard would know where her lipstick was, even though Lindsey hated to wake him so early. Despite the fact that she would be gone for two months, the happy couple had said their goodbyes last night.

However, Lindsey was not going to leave without her lipstick – the one she always wore on stage for every single show, without fail. Sure, she could easily buy another one… but she felt it had become her lucky charm; the last time she forgot it had been a less than average show.

Lindsey rubbed her eyes and sighed again before shaking her sleepy husband awake, “Gerard,” she whispered, “Gerard, wake up.”

Gerard groaned, not happy with the early awakening. He blinked several times, looking at his wife as if she was crazy, “Lindsey? What’s wrong?” he asked his voice rough.

Lindsey smiled at her husband of six years, “I’m really sorry to wake you, baby.” She waited until he was sat up in bed before continuing, “Have you seen my red lipstick? I can’t find it anywhere, and I know it was in the bathroom.” Her voice became quiet, feeling slightly silly for waking Gerard up for something so unimportant.

Gerard only stared back at her, wondering if he heard her correctly, “That’s why you woke me up? For lipstick?” Lindsey bit her lip and nodded. Gerard sighed, running a hand through the dark tangled mess that sat upon his head, “I packed it for you last night. It’s in the front pocket of your case.” He saw how relieved Lindsey looked and smiled up at her. He knew that his wife thought that these little things were unimportant to him, which they were… but he knew how important it was to her.

“Thank you, baby. Sorry for waking you, you can go back to sleep now. I’ll be gone in, like, ten minutes.” Lindsey rubbed her thumb under Gerard’s eyes, noticing just how tired he was. He had been working really hard on his latest comic and could’ve really done with more sleep. This thought only made her feel more guilty.

Gerard shook his head with a yawn, and swung his legs out of bed, “Nah, I’m awake now. You know I won’t be able to get back to sleep.” He slid his way over to their bathroom, still too tired to pick up his feet, and relieved himself. During this time, Lindsey checked the front pocket of her case to find her lipstick, and carried her things downstairs; being careful with how much noise she was making as not to wake their sleeping daughter.

The former My Chemical Romance singer made his way downstairs, his heart dropping ever so slightly seeing his wife’s case and bass by the front door. Of course, he was happy for her and her band, Mindless Self Indulgence, but he would miss her very much while she was away.

“Babe, I’m making coffee, do you want one?” Lindsey called from the kitchen. Gerard could smell the luscious coffee and walked into the kitchen. The talented bass player smiled lovingly at her husband, passing him a hot cup of coffee before taking a sip of her own. The couple remained silent for a couple of minutes before Lindsey brought up something important, “Did you call Chloe?”

Chloe lived just down the street from the Way’s and the three had developed a friendship of sorts after constantly running into each other at the Starbucks just a block away from where they lived. They had met when Chloe was just fourteen. Being a fan of both bands, Chloe was excited that they had taken the time to converse with her, even trusting her enough to babysit their daughter, Bandit, while the couple were still both busy being musicians. However, since My Chemical Romance’s last album had been released three years prior and of course with the disbandment of the group earlier this year, Chloe was no longer needed to look after Bandit, as her father was around a lot more. But with a deadline to meet for Gerard’s new comic, and with Lindsey going on tour, the pair had agreed to rehire Chloe, who was looking to earn a little extra money before setting off for college in the fall.

Gerard stared at his wife as realization hit him. Shit. He thought. He knew there was something he needed to do this past week… With another gulp of his coffee, Gerard saw no other choice but to lie to his wife, “Of course I did, hun.” With Lindsey leaving in only a few minutes, Gerard didn’t want her worrying about these little things, “I called her Wednesday evening. She’s totally fine to come by this afternoon.” He took another gulp of coffee, “You know kids these days, having just finished high school. I’ve given her the morning off to sleep.” He was proud of his performance. Why wouldn’t his lovely wife buy it?

Lindsey put down her empty mug, crossed her arms over her chest with a smile and shook her head, “Bullshit, Gerard.” She knew damn well when he wasn’t being honest with her. Having been together for this long, she wondered why he thought he could get away with it. Gerard knitted his eyebrows together, but Lindsey only giggled, “I called Chloe last night. I knew you were gonna forget.” Gerard looked away, feeling embarrassed about being caught out, which only made Lindsey laugh a little more.

She crossed the kitchen to her husband and wrapped her arms around his neck, noticing again the bags under his tired eyes, “It’s okay. I know how you are when you’ve got your head wrapped up in your work.” She brought her lips to his softly, “Just don’t forget about Bandit, even if Chloe is here.” Of course Gerard would never forget their daughter, they both knew that.

Lindsey kissed her husband again, with Gerard bringing his arms around her waist, holding her tightly against his body. Gerard deepened the kiss, their tongues tasting one another. It was only when Lindsey felt her husband’s excitement that she pulled away with a smile, “Down boy,” she mumbled against his cheek, “There’s not enough time for that.”

Gerard only smirked back, his eyes looking hungrily at his wife, “There’s always time, sugar.” He kissed her cheek before burying his face in Lindsey’s neck, biting gently. He only stopped when they both heard a quiet knock at the door, “Damn.” He whispered, letting his love go.

“James! Come in for a minute, I’ll just get my jacket.” James, better known as Jimmy, stepped inside the Way household, closing the door behind him. Steve and Kitty were busy sleeping in the band’s van.

James greeted his friend with a hug, “Hey man, didn’t think you’d be up at this time.” He, too, noticed how tired Gerard looked. James looked very different to his stage persona; he spoke calmly, his appearance more tamed with jeans and a sweatshirt and a beanie hat on his head.

Gerard laughed, “Blame that woman that calls herself my wife. She did this to me!” They exchanged a few more pleasantries until Lindsey reappeared; now wearing a black denim jacket.

“I’ll go wait in the van. Catch you later, Gerard.” James left, knowing that husband and wife would need to say goodbye. It wasn’t so bad for James, who would have his own wife, Chantal, on tour with him.

Lindsey and Gerard held each other, not saying anything, but appreciating these final moments together. Although there would be phone calls, and text messaging, and even Skype calls if given the chance, nothing compared to actually being together, being able to kiss each other and touch each other. As much as they both loved what they did for a living, being away from each other for any length of time was always hard.

“I really have to leave now, baby.” Lindsey was the first to break the silence, tears threatening to spill. She couldn’t even bring herself to see her sleeping daughter, knowing she would never leave the house if she did, “It’s only two months. I’ll be back before you even really notice I’m gone.”

Without saying a word, Gerard kissed the love of his life softly and then the tip of her nose, “Have an amazing time on tour. I’m so proud of you, hun. Don’t miss us too much.” They let each other go. Gerard remained standing in the same spot while Lindsey grabbed her case and bass. She looked back once more to blow her husband a kiss, and then left, leaving Gerard feeling a strange sense of loneliness in their big, quiet house.