Sequel: Infernal

Nocturnal

Chapter 12 - Payback's A Bitch

Not ten minutes after the door slammed, Phillip was bursting into the gym. I was half-way down the bleachers.

He took my arms, gently, leveling our gazes.

"Hey," he breathed. "I heard what happened—are you okay?" I wished his eyes could comfort me, but the swirl of guilt still poked me.

"Yeah, I'm fine now—the headache just blew over, you know?" I shrugged, wanting to dodge his concerned eyes. It wasn't happening, so, I cleared my voice. "How... did you know?" I wondered if news about me being a freak spread like the plague, already.

Phillip leaned back enough to give me some space. He coursed a hand through the messy hair.

"Vanessa told me. Cameron texted me about it, too. Said you wouldn't go to the infirmary, so he brought you here." Bells chimed as I heard that name—the swirling cut off my breathing for a minute. "I thought he'd be around here." He said softly, then, under his breath he muttered, "I can't believe he just left you all alone—V said it looked like you were having some kind of aneurism or something. He's such an inconsiderate jerk sometimes." I felt strung up; what I'd said to Cameron felt suffocatingly nauseous—I hoped I didn't pass out again.

You're just a waste.

That must be why I'm hanging around with you. We're so alike. His words hadn't been laced with a punch, a vendetta—just retaliation. They'd been a hollow cover up. For hurt.

I'd hurt him.

I shouldn't feel an ounce of guilt, shouldn't care—because he hurt Vanessa everyday just by ignoring her.

But I did. I cared and I knew the blame would eat at me until I made it right—but just the thought of apologizing to Cameron... I'd rather eat a truckload of ham. And I hated the stuff.

"Give me your keys." Phillip demanded, holding out his hand.

We were out on the hallway, some people snickered going past us. News had definitely spread around.

"I'm driving you home." He filled in when I didn't move or speak. "So give them to me."

Go home? I still had a class. "I still have a class—"

"Don't worry about it." He hurried. "It's chemistry with Mr. Kendall, right?"

I frowned, "Yeah—but what do you mean I don't need to worry?"

He gave me the starts of a smile, "I'll use my undeniable charm."

I choked a laugh—the ache in my temples roaring. Phillip came closer, reaching an arm around my waist—my body was braced against his. I briefly closed my eyes trying to gain ease from our close contact.

"You should sell some of that." I muttered sleepily. Being this close to him always made me calm. "You'd be even richer."

Phill chuckled into my hair.

"Let me drive you home?"

I glanced up, his eyes vibrant. "The school will call my mom. She'll know I ditched a class—I can't get her worried."

He shook his head, "Trust me, you won't get in trouble." Was he seriously going to charm my chem teacher into not reporting my absence? Phillip was gorgeous, but Mr. Kendall didn't play for the opposite team. "Trust me." He whispered next to my ear, I bit my lip.

I wished that after our kiss trust was easier—but right now, it didn't seem like it. It felt like I was back in my glass dome. Watching from inside, safe.

"Okay," I said, but I had to force it out. Funny, earlier with Cameron I had to force my mouth shut.

A strange feeling sprouted—I cut it down.

Once in the parking lot I tossed my keys to Phillip, but before getting in, I glanced to the far end, where his bike was.

"How are you going to get back?"

He shrugged, "I'll walk." He smirked softly. "It's no big deal, Nina. I run like five miles every weekend. I'm used to roughing it." I wasn't surprised. To keep that in shape he needed to work out—

"But will you make it in time for class?" he had his phone out, texting someone. "I don't want you to be late."

"Stop worrying."

I dropped it. It didn't seem like he was changing his mind, and honestly, I wanted to hole up in my room for the rest of the day. I got in.

I didn't need to give out many directions, he only needed to make a turn into Madison Avenue and go down it. The car felt heavy with questions—like he didn't know where to start.

Finally, Phillip turned to me.

"You were with Vanessa?" I nodded, telling him about lunch. He smiled up until the moment I told him about the killing headache. "Insomnia, nightmares—you got the whole package." He sourly said. I agreed. "Can't you take any pills?"

"Nah," I glanced outside; the houses blurred by as Phillip drove us in a steady velocity. "I don't want to freak my mom out. She... kinda thinks narcotics are the first step into drug-addiction."

Phillip let out a low whistle, "That's extreme."

"Tell me about it." I muttered sighing. "She's always been like that—an extremist, you know? Like, my grandma used to read me some scary tales and stuff—she'd go ballistic about it." I rolled my eyes. "She thought my grandma was filling my head with 'toxic waste' leaving no room for what was really important." I sucked in an angry breath. I never realized how mad my mom's control freak behavior got me.

"That sucks." He didn't miss a heartbeat, I smiled back at him. "If I hadn't been allowed to watch horror stuff, though, I probably wouldn't have clown-phobia." He gave a mock-shudder at the word 'clown'.

I leaned towards him, "You never told me why that was."

He snuck a glance at me, cracking a grimace.

"Cam and I were nine, it was Halloween and we were watching a movie marathon—horror movies only—and It rolled around." My eyebrows knitted. "It?" he intoned. "By Stephen King?" he laughed when I still looked lost. "Well, you're lucky. Seeing a demon clown didn't improve my fear of the dark or anything."

"You're scared of the dark?" I poked his shoulder.

Phillip grew a little more serious, "Aren't you? I mean, you never know what happens there, in the shadows." His straight gaze made my heart stutter—then his lips broadened into a smirk. "I'm just playing you—had ya' going for a sec, huh?" I gave a weak chuckle. Yeah, the somber tone had nearly convinced me.

He pulled into my house's garage front. Standing by the door I felt like I should invite him in—maybe offer a drink?

Phillip walked through the threshold, not saying a word. His eyes moved around the hall, the stairs, the kitchen entrance—stopping on me.

"No one's home," he pointed out. "Too bad I have to go back." I blushed.

"What?" I started, trying to cover up. "You can use your charm to bail me out of class—but not yourself?" I joked. He walked closer, pulling me into his arms. "That's not very cool." I mumbled feeling warmth wash over—his lips touched mine, in a feather-soft manner.

"Truth," he said. "Are you alright?"

I exhaled steadily, "I am." That seemed to tackle down the worry in his eyes. "I'm not sick, Phillip. I had a strong migraine—it's gone. I'm alright." My hands fell on his forearms. "It's the truth." It wasn't.

Nodding, he backed up. A smile lit him up.

"If I skip Cam will tear me a new one."

"For real?"

"Well, yeah." He wiped sandy hair aside. "It's not like he has a problem with it—hell, he used to skip all the damn time when we were juniors."

I tilted my head, "What's changed?"

Phillip made a face, "My uncle got tired of being called in. He has a real... stressful job and he kinda forbid us from getting into trouble." He snorted, like that wasn't a manageable possibility. "If we have to call him for another meeting with the principal—"

"You have to call him?" Phillip went quiet, alarm playing in his eyes. "Doesn't the school call him in?"

He was nodding before I finished talking, "Totally, my bad." I couldn't figure out why he looked so freaked out; he'd just made a mistake. Maybe he needed his sugar fix—I smiled inwardly.

I walked him outside. The street was deserted. Phillip was glancing down my street, quiet.

"Thanks for bringing me." I whispered.

He dug his hands into his pockets, ducking his head.

"My pleasure." He looked down at me. "Call you after dinner?" I gaped at him—we'd been doing that since our kiss.

I swallowed, "Huh... sure."

"Great," he grinned. "Can't wait."

***

I texted Dawn for the bazillion time. She'd texted me while I was in the car with Phillip, asking how I was feeling. I knew she meant well, but I was getting tired of assuring everyone I was fine.

Really, I was. I was just going out of my freaking mind. I had no idea what happened—why those images flung themselves at me when I saw 169 on Daren's locker. Hell, I had no idea how Daren played into the equation.

But it was his locker—so it had to be related. Right?

My phone blared. I groped around—snatching it from my pillow.

"Did your thumbs give out?" I fake-pouted.

There was a dry laugh on the other side, "Anyway," she ignored my sarcasm. "Football—me, you, this Friday?"

I groaned, "It's not really my thing."

"Neither is mine. But school spirit and all that crap—plus, real cute guys—"

I coughed a snicker, "You mean Zeke."

"Maybe," I could hear her blush. "We're kinda... I don't know. We're seeing how it goes—"

"But wait, can't you do that in a relationship?" my eyes beamed with laughter. She'd said the exact same thing to me a few days ago, when I told her about me and Phillip.

"Okay. I deserved that." She paused. "So, I have to be there to cheer him on, you are going to help." Hmm, sounded fun—but wasn't that what cheerleaders were for?

"I don't know."

"You have to come. All the school's going to be there—" that didn't exactly add to my excitement. After what happened today, I was most definitely a laughing stock, and an outcast. "Phillip will be there, too."

"How do you know?"

"Gee, that's an obvious one—he's a cheerleader!" I fell over giggling, hearing her laughing on the other end. "Seriously, his twin's on the team, remember? Obviously he'll be there—sibling love and all that shit."

I sobered up, "Did you just put love and shit in the same sentence?"

"I did. That's how much I want you to come!" That one didn't make much sense.

I pushed out a breath, "Fine." She squealed. "I'll go watch the stupid game." I swear there was clapping on her side.

After Dawn hung up, I tried to catch on with my homework. Sitting on my desk, I saw my copy of the Inferno. Touching it, I thought of Cameron. I couldn't imagine finishing our project now.

Before I sulked over the issue, I swept my work space of English stuff—leaving only Bio. I worked on it for a while until my thoughts drifted.

To Cameron.

And no matter how I tried to push them away—they kept going back, like gravity. He was such a mystery, such a hot and cold mess I couldn't figure out... it drove me crazy. Why did I care, though?

Because he wears a mask, my consciousness threw, and he wasn't completely wrong when you said you two were alike.

I dropped my face into both hands. It was true—Cam covered his feelings, keeping himself closed off. I did the same. I lied saying I was fine—and I wasn't. I was scared.

I chewed my lip. Was Cameron afraid, too? Why else would he keep walls around him? It made no sense. He surrounded himself with the popular crowd, he was friends with half the school—if he didn't want to let people in... why would he do that?

"Trigg problem?" Nigel's voice jumped me.

I glared over my shoulder, not bothering with the whole 'knock before walking in' thing. It was useless.

"Ha," I laughed. "Trigg is much easier than boys." I cringed momentarily— "Please don't tell mom I'm having boy issues."

Nigel made a zipping motion in front of his lips.

"My lips are sealed, kiddo." I shared a smile with him. "Can I ask why boys are so complicated, though?" my step-dad looked like he was debating whether he should sit or stand.

I didn't want to run him out, but I sure didn't want to talk about boys with him, either. I hated doing it with my mother.

"You're cool, Nigel, I just..." I cocked my head.

"You're just a teenager?" he suggested, perking a corner of his mouth. I chuckled. "Hey, I get it. Back when I was your age I worked out my own stuff—my parents didn't know half the stuff going through my head." All parents should follow Nigel's example. "Pizza's here, don't take too long—" I nodded watching him leave. "Oh, and Nina?" I turned to him. "Whatever boy-crisis you're dealing with, I'm sure it's less complicated than you're making it out to be." I parted my lips, ready to ask what he meant by that—

Henry tugged him away, to show him something on his laptop.

I doubted Cameron wasn't complicated—if I had to make a wager, I'd bet he was even more complex than what I thought.

***

Living through Thursday was bad. The little giggles, mutters and catcalls? They drove me crazy. I wanted to land some punches. Phillip escorted me around, as much as possible. He and Dawn had to work on their assignment during lunch hour. Vanessa stayed with me, again.

She said to ignore them. I tried—what else could I do? When we were exiting the lunch room, I saw Cameron. Just longing against a locker.

Grinning, eying our direction.

My first thought was to grin back—maybe he hadn't taken yesterday's words to heart.

Someone pushed past me. Vanessa grabbed my arm—dang she could use some gloves. Talk about cold.

That thought didn't linger. Sam almost knocked me on my ass to reach Cameron. His disarming grin had been for her, he'd been staring past me—none had been for me. My mouth clamped—she giggled throwing a glance our way.

The embarrassment grew when his eyes followed hers. He chuckled—she slipped her arms around his neck and...

"Come on," Vanessa pulled me. It occurred that I should be the one doing that—he'd been her boyfriend, not mine. Never mine. "Come on." This time I followed her.

I could feel his mocking gaze searing into the back of my head.

"How did you date him?" I asked.

Vanessa spared me a light glance.

"Cameron?" I nodded. She shrugged. "We go back—way back." She was trying to sound nonchalant about the issue. She couldn't hide the nostalgia. "He's always been there, since we were like six." I stared at her; that was a long time. "Dawn and the twins were in the same class their first year—but we all went to the same school. I only knew him an year before the fire—" she stopped.

I knew why. My parents died when I was seven. In a fire. Phillip's mournful words blasted at me.

"Their parents died in a fire." I mused sadly. "Phillip told me."

Vanessa tuck a raven lock away, "Oh—okay, then. So... before that, he was different—then he changed. Overnight." I could hear the compassion overflowing from her lips. It was hard to believe she never loved him—Vanessa stopped suddenly. Glaring my way. "I did."

I cocked my head, "Did what?"

Vanessa licked her lips, her eyes surveyed us—she gave her shoulders a hunch.

"Just... I remembered what you asked yesterday—about me loving him?" wow, talk about coincidence. I'd just been thinking about it. Huh. "I did love him, I do love him—just not like that, you know? I care about him, he's a best friend, I guess." I understood why anyone would like Vanessa right then. Her words all sounded delicate and true. Her smiles were pure, like her porcelain skin—she was beautiful, both inside and out. "Cameron's complicated. He's an enigma. Every time you get close to figuring him out? He changes."

A never ending chase, a never ending mystery. Suited his style. And it sounded just like... me. Even when Phillip got close I looked for a way out. I avoided until I couldn't run.

I crossed my arms, "Why is that? He's so popular." I smiled half-heartedly.

"Yeah, he is. But every time I look at him..." she shook her head with a glum expression. "I just see loneliness. Unless Phillip's with him—I think that's the only real connection he has."

I glanced over my shoulder, to the cafeteria hallway. Where he was with Sam. Sorrow filled a hole in my chest, choking my lungs. Anguish took over like a sickness.

Alone. My gut wrenched. Lonely. I knew the feeling. All too well.

"He didn't look alone back there." I snorted covering my real emotions—not understanding how I could have such empathy for a guy I barely knew.

Vanessa flung her hair over a shoulder.

"He's just distracting himself." She did know him well. "Plus, he's a guy and Samantha's dressed like a call girl." We both burst out laughing, stopping our walk. A new feeling grew—the forming of a friendship.

"Not a very pricey one." She nodded. "Fishnets?" we made a sullen face. "And way too much make up. She's going to reach her thirties with ruined skin."

Vanessa and me took a seat on the outside tables, behind the school.

She spied a look over, "I've been out of the loop, for a while, but I still know when something's up." I flipped through my unfinished Allen Poe novel. "What's with you and Cameron?"

"Nothing." I denied it too quickly—rookie mistake.

"He was trying to tick you off—so, I'm pretty sure something happened between you." Vanessa wet her lips. "He doesn't get angry like normal people—like he gives you the silent treatment, or ignores you in the halls—he doesn't do that."

"Of course," I rolled my eyes. "He's too special to behave like the rest of us mortals." I dramatized.

She smiled, "What happened between you two?" I sighed feeling an overwhelming need to tell her—anyone. Last night, Phillip called. I hadn't mentioned a thing, but the issue swam in my noodle.

"I..." I drew out. "I might have said something that hurt his feeling—if he has any feelings—" Vanessa sniggered. "It was after my 'episode'," I used air quotes. "He helped me, I lashed out—he stormed off."

Her eyes sought mine.

"Why did you lash out?"

I hesitated. Telling her she'd been the reason... would that be wise? How would she respond to that?

"Cameron and me... we didn't have a good start. He sorta bullied me—no idea why, probably for laughs." I scratched my neck awkwardly. "Anyway," I swallowed. "Yesterday, he asked me if you'd done anything—even after you said no. I just lost it." I confessed. "I hate what he did to you—it's not even the breaking up part, it's the other stuff. He leaves when you walk in, avoids, doesn't say a word." I bit my lip, head shaking. "I don't get how you're not angry... I lost it."

Vanessa inhaled sharply. Wind swung the branches over head, a couple of brown leaves sailed the wave.

"You didn't need to do that." She muttered avoiding my gaze.

"I know," I hurried. "But... but it's not because I think you're going to break—I just think it's not right."

I reached for her hand. Her head snapped up.

A shaky smile overtook her lips.

"It's... more complicated than that—"

"Hey, look who it his?" a guy with a hoodie came up—Seth Malcolm—Dawn said to stay away since my first day—piercings lined his left ear and eyebrow. "Stoner-girl," he smirked. I didn't need to look around. I knew it was for me. "Want some pot?" he held out a burning joint.

I shared a look with Vanessa. If anyone caught us with drugs we'd be suspended.

Her hand shot out, pushing his arm behind his back—maybe a little too strongly, he stumbled a few steps.

"Rest up, chick." He mumbled taking a long drag—

"Put that away, Seth." She harshly ordered. "We don't want to get into trouble."

Seth's red eyes crinkled with mirth.

"Too late for that, little lady. Betcha ya' friend's doing some heavy stuff—hey," he returned his gaze to me. "Have any stash with you? Wanna share—"

"I'm not on drugs—I've never done drugs." I gritted getting up. "Don't you people know what a headache is?"

He cracked a smile, "Sure, headache—that's what I told my folks after some LSD." He chuckled looking all blown out— "I was seeing all these lights—"

"Seriously, leave her alone." Vanessa growled.

His wink made me despair—was it going to be like this everyday? What if mom caught wind of anything?

What came next made things worse.

Cameron showed up, Sam on his arm.

God must hate me, I thought.

Seth held out the joint again—to Cam.

He waved it away, "Nah man, I quit that. It doesn't buzz me anymore." I blinked. He used to get high? There, explanation found: his brain was fried.

"Sure, 'bout that? This packs a punch." Seth talked like a salesman trying to sell.

"Why don't you ask the freak? Bet she won't turn you down." Sam's voice carried a punch of satisfaction.

I glowered at her.

"Shut up," I said. "I'm not a junky." My gaze shifted to Cam—ha, like he'd help me.

He smirked—not in a funny way either. It read: payback.

"Please," Sam scoffed. "Everyone knows about it—no need to hide your true colors anymore."

Vanessa was by my side, her stare on Cam.

"You should go." She warned lowly. Not nicely—at all.

"Jealous?" Sam put in with a feigned pout.

The older Leale's smirk had vanished, though. He was non-responsive; his gaze attentive, like he was waiting for something bad to happen.

"Of you?" Vanessa perked an eyebrow. "Not in a million years."

Sam ignored her, "Guess you just had too much baggage, after—"

"Shut up, Sam." Cam husked, still holding V's gaze.

Samantha tugged him closer, but kept quiet.

"Or he thought: why by a cow when milk is so cheap?" Cam grasped Sam's arm keeping her from lunging at Vanessa. His ex looked unfazed, the corners of her lips tipped. "The truth always hurts."

"Let her go, dude. I love a good girl fight." Daren's voice made my bones chill.

Seth was gone, probably off to finish his smoke.

"Beat it, Daren." V rolled her eyes, crossing her arms.

"Stop," Cam ordered over Sam's string of curses.

Daren got closer to me, I inched away.

"You're brother knows hot to pick them—hot, but crazy." Sam stopped her struggles to giggle. "Hot tramples crazy, though."

"He's not dating her—just went on a date." Cam scowled briefly, as if the thought of me and Phillip together gave him vomits. I flinched.

Tears burned and I felt my body shake in anger. I felt utterly humiliated. It hurt.

"What a waste," Daren touched my face. I slapped his hand—he smiled. "Aw, don't be sad, babe, I'll let you cry on my shoulder if you want to—"

"What's going on here?" Phillip's voice broke through the half-circle around me and Vanessa. My heart relaxed. "Looks like you're having a party. Where's my invite, bro?"

Cameron got rid of Samantha's hold. Oh, so he was going to play innocent now?

"Just having a talk, Phill."

"Yeah, you and your talks." He passed his brother a glare, voice hard. "I remember how that went on Nina's first day. Is this anything like that one?"

Sam elbowed Cam's side, not liking what Phillip implied. "What's he talking about?"

"Nothing that concerns you." He smiled—it was a gelid smile. "So, keep your nose out of it." She flung her gaze from him, to me. Great.

The younger twin wrapped my waist, tipping me towards him.

"What's your excuse?" Phillip's eyes were icicles when they sought Daren's.

He took a wise step back. Phillip kissed my cheek and I couldn't help a smile—a in-your-face kind of smile.

Daren sneered, "Cam said you dumped her, I was just—"

"Comforting her?" Phillip cut him off, smirk full of snarkiness. "She doesn't need your kind of comfort for anything. And I didn't dump anyone—unless we're talking about you, Sam." His words were stabbing—I saw Sam's face go pale.

He didn't say anything to his brother. I wondered if he knew that Cam was getting back at me—did he know what I told Cameron?

"Figures you'd go someone like her—you two have tons in common." My gaze whirled to Daren. What was he talking about? "A junkie and a pyro—now that's one hell of a pairing." A... pyro?

Phillip's grip on me slacked. His expression hardened and Cameron's did, too.

"Say that again," Phillip began, breathing ragged. "And your daddy's going to be busy reconstructing your face."

Daren's eyes slit, he leaned forth, "At least my dad's a surgeon. What does yours do?" I heard Phillip's swallow— "Oh wait—he's dead."

No one moved. Those words were like a slap. Even Sam looked thrown off balance. I couldn't believe he said it. It was awful.

"I bet that's your fault, too. Bet you started that fire—just like you started the one in school back when we were kids." He was baiting him. Into a fight. I could feel Phillip's resolve not to engage loosen, just as his hold on me did—

"Well," Cam called, in a totally laid back way. "At least our mom wasn't every carpenter's dream, like yours is."

Daren bitterly smirked, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Means that your mom," he walked up to his teammate, danger radiated—dazzling smirk in place. "Is flat as a board and easy to nail."

Cameron ducked under Daren's arm. Avoiding a fist. He lunged, tackling Daren to the grass—his arm pulled back and crashed.

I didn't even know where Cam hit him.

"You're dead now—"

His dark head tilted, "Am I?"

Daren responded to the taunt with an uppercut. Cam's head snapped—then they were wrestling on top of grass and dead leaves. People were gathering, some cheered, others panicked—especially girls—my heartbeat was being set off each time I saw Cameron get thrown back.

I was holding Phill's hand hard—wanting to scream, but not knowing why.

Cameron caught one of Daren's arms—swung his fist to the stomach. His teammate doubled over. I thought this was it—they were through. Cam even wiped a bleeding cut on his lip...

Daren was pushed into a tree, back ramming powerfully—his head smacked. Cameron held him by the shoulders, just to punch him sideways—again.

Again.

Daren kicked his leg. Cam wavered.

That's when Phillip was suddenly there—taking his brother away. Then a blond had Daren—Zeke—they pulled them apart.

I could see Cameron now that Phillip brought him closer. His lip had a cut, his chin showed a nice shiner—it was going to hurt by nightfall. His clothes and hair were rumpled, leafs stuck everywhere.

His face was filled with anger, rage and enjoyment, like he'd been dying to kick Daren's ass for months—years.

"Cam—Cameron." Phillip pulled him along. "Chill, you've gotta calm down—please."

Cameron sneered in Daren's way—Zeke was having a hard time with taking him away, too. Though not as tough.

Cam reminded me of a wild animal. Once they had the taste of blood, they kept longing for more. It tore at me.

"What happened to stay out of trouble—"

"Fuck that. I wanna rip his lungs out." He hissed fists tightening, ready to take a step forward—luckily, Phillip still had him.

"Think about the game. The coach will kick you out." He tried to reason with his brother.

Cameron heaved a laugh, "Not if he wants to win." He met my eyes. I saw fury swimming there, but knew none of it was meant for me. I let myself dive into his obsidian orbs, feeling a shift in them. "Let me go." I heard distantly. The ire subsided, leaving behind calmness. "Damn it, Phillip, let me go already."

I lost focus on his eyes as Phill took a slow breath before allowing freedom to his brother's arms.

"Thanks for almost breaking them, idiot." Phillip smacked his shoulder. Cam grinned smugly, but didn't lash out.

All the students that had gathered were dissipating, going back to their lives, afraid a teacher would come out and see what all the commotion was about. I glanced around for Zeke, Daren—nothing.

Samantha was all over Cam when I turned back, though. I felt a urge to pull her off. Even her cooing sounded excited, it was like watching him beat someone up and get beat up made her horny.

Yuck.

"You should go to the infirmary—" I tuned her out, rolling my eyes.

Vanessa was still by my side, "Can you believe this girl?" I shook my head. "She's such a..." I trailed off taking Vanessa in. "...phony." I finished in a distant whisper. "Vanessa?" I asked quietly.

She was breathing fast—like she was hyperventilating. Her eyes were darting wildly, not just anywhere. They had a target. Cameron—more specifiably his face. I frowned. What was so special about that? I could've kicked myself. What was up with it besides being gorgeous?

I touched her arm—and got knocked into the table. Man, she packed a shove.

I winced rubbing my hip, "Are you okay...?"

She forced her eyes closed, tipping away from us. Phillip got there, taking her face, whispering words I couldn't hear. She nodded brusquely, swallowing.

"Go, I'll be right there." I heard that. Vanessa didn't look at me as she went. I was awestruck, confused— "She's... having a crisis." He grasped the words quickly, looking over his shoulder. "I have to go."

I knew it was the right thing to do. I did. And that's why I didn't say: what about me? Her problem was bigger than kids calling her a stoner or freak. It didn't mean I wanted to be left alone.

"Yeah," I whispered, I lifted my head. "I understand."

His electrical eyes pulsed with urgency. Still, he leaned in kissing my forehead.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Of course he could skip for her.

I hated that I felt that way—but I just felt... alone. Unimportant. It was so stupid, though, I wanted a guy to skip for me—like a big gesture or something.

"—I'm fine. Can you just let go?" Cam's voice carried annoyance.

They were still there.

"Oh, in that case," she sounded all perky. "What do you want to do after tomorrow's game?" was she for real? I snuck a peek while I was gathering my things to leave. "My parents are going to be out of town this weekend—"

Huh. She was inviting him for sex. Was that all she thought about? The guy could fall over with a contusion and she was worried about her sexual cravings?

"Talk about hormones on parade..." I mumbled—my head jerked.

Cam was laughing quietly, trying to stop—his smile was there. The dimples, too. He was staring over her shoulder, at me.

"What's so funny—is that like, a yes?" she had no idea he wasn't smiling at her.

He'd heard me... but that was impossible? Right? Samantha hadn't picked up on it. No doubt she'd have something to say if she had.

"We'll see." He said, eyes dropping to her.

I shook it off. He played guitar, musicians had a good ear—maybe that was it. He just had a really trained ear.

I walked up the steps—alone. Yet, Cam's smile haunted me along the way. It didn't make me feel so desolated. I actually smiled to myself.

And I had every reason to hate him.