Sequel: Infernal

Nocturnal

Chapter 21 - Dirty And Clean

“I think they're perfect together. The evil-slut and needle-dick deserve each other.”

“Dawn,” I warned, even if I found the names suiting. “Someone's going to hear you and I don't want anymore problems.” I dropped my Bio stuff.

A tickle ran down. He was there when I closed the locker.

“Hear what?”

Had I mentioned how incredibly stalkerish Cameron was? He was lucky to have major swoon-worthy looks, otherwise I would've smacked his face. Or not, since he had an insane temper.

“Eavesdrop much?” Cam's lip turned in a devious manner.

“I'd run a mile for a piece of gossip, darling, especially if you're attached to it.”

I dismissed Dawn's peering eyes, darting between us. I figured she'd show a loopside grin but all she did was flex her jaw.

“Go vulture someplace else.” I blinked at her mean streak.

Cameron pulled himself from the row of lockers, “English is still ten minutes away. I've got nothing better to do.”

“So go flirt with some other girl.” Okay. What was wrong with her? Not that I wanted Cam to flirt with me. But just days ago she'd been going off on how we were hot. “And stop damaging my friends.”

Click. She was being resentful, blaming V’s behavior on him. Who could blame her? All she knew, was that he broke up with Vanessa after she suffered a horrible loss and attack. Even I didn’t know why he’d done such a cold-hearted thing.

“Take a breather, Fido, I’m not planning on whisking Nina to my chamber of horrors.” He said without mirth.

“I hope not. Because I’ll sock you.” I glared in disbelieve. “I’m just making sure he knows not to mess with you.”

“I wouldn’t screw with her,” Cam’s cherry-pale lips gave a smug smirk. “Not even if she begged me to.”

“That will never happen. Not in a million light years, not if you were the last man on Earth.” Or Nephilim, which he kinda was, him and Phill.

He cocked his head, “You wouldn’t know what to do with me—”

“Ew,” Dawn made a gagging sound. “If you two are going to start bantering porn-style at least let me leave! Then you can have all the antenna time you want.”

“Geez, you shift gears so quickly.” I commented with a slit of eyes—then it hit me. “We’re not bantering porn-style or any style—stop coming up with this stuff... it’s totally embarrassing.”

There was a snort, “If you didn't want 'embarrassing' you should've picked your friends better.” Dawn shot him a glare, as usual, he dismissed it, facing me with a innocent expression—needless to say I crossed my arms, distrustful. “When are you planning on giving my hoodie back? I loaned it to you weeks ago—”

Aw, crap. Dawn's eyes were the size of a flying saucer. Beneath the honest smile I knew Cameron was parading.

“He...” she pointed from him to me. “You... Why—what happened? What... what...” it was like watching a cyborg's neurocircuits frizzle, unable to process the sum of information.

Shooting Mr. Smooth-talk an eye roll, I told Dawn I'd be right back. I hoped she didn't start making beep-bop-boop noises.

Cameron followed my angry strides easily, smiling all the while.

“What was that for?”

“Whatever do you mean?”

“The hoodie? Why did you bring it up?”

“It was a normal question. It's my favorite one and I want it back. You've had it for days, now.” He rubbed the T-shirt under his over-shirt making a pained face. “It's chilly.”

“Aw, you're cold?” his face matched a baby's—all fake, though. He was nothing helpless like one. “Well, I'm sure you have enough money to buy hundreds of hoodies. So many you wouldn't know what to do with them.”

“I think you wanna keep my hoodie,” a sizzling smirk rippled his formidable lips. “What do you do, use it as a safety blanket?”

I stopped mid-gulp. He couldn't read minds, so, it made it all the more scary. No, I hadn't been using it as a blanky, but... I'd been sleeping in it. I blushed every time I put it on, before turning in. My cheeks went as red as my lips.

“You're absurd,” I tipped my chin left, away from him. “I'd totally forgotten I had something that belongs to you. I tossed it into the washer as soon as I got home.” I was such a liar. At this rate, my pants would catch fire. “I'll return it as soon as I find it.” My insides went jellylike at the thought; I didn't know why, Cameron's sweater had a smell—his smell—and it... it made me feel safe.

“Sure, whatever floats your boat.” He winked. I fisted my hands. He made me crazy with so little! Sometimes, all I wanted was to smack his head with a brick, other times...

My golden orbs dropped, landing on his neck. Images of twin holes, red liquid dripping and freshly torn skin came to mind. But today there wasn't a single tear, not a scratch. He was flawless as ever.

A sigh left me. I hadn't seen him after Halloween. I mostly tried to forget that night—not only because we'd been attacked. When I'd gotten home, mom lectured me on serial killers creeping around. If only she knew. Serial killers were the least of my worries in this town.

“Worried about something?” I blinked and his perfect face came into view. I shook my head. “I heard Daren and Sam hooked up at the party.” He filled in with casual school talk.

“I know. That's what Dawn was telling me before you swooped in.”

“Figured as much...” my eyebrows puckered as he began tittering up. “Needle-dick...” obviously he'd heard it. Huh.

Over my shoulder, I saw Dawn, impatiently waiting for me. I'd better get this over with, I didn't want to give people the wrong idea.

“Is there something important that you want to talk about or are you just being your usual push-over-self?”

Cam's arms crossed, and his shoulder edges grew more defined. Sweet mercy. Why couldn't he just not move—at all?

“I've been thinking—”

“This oughta be good.”

He scold fleetingly, “I thought about what you said. About getting dreams and visions you can't control,” now he had my undivided attention. “I figured Raphael will come to bust our heads sooner or later—so, we should save him the trouble.” He dug a hand into a pocket, looking up and down the hall—was he... nervous? Eyes falling on mine, he sighed. “You should learn how to control Power. I can... try and teach you if you want.”

For a minute, I was speechless. I was being offered was what I'd always wanted—control. But...

Cam cocked his head with a sultry smirk. My muscles tensed, blood rushing to my head—his eyes were cornering me, causing me to take an involuntary step back. When had he taken two steps forward? My words were stuck.

“I don't need an answer right away...” his words trailed off as his finger pad brushed its way down my neck, across my clavicle. Eyelashes fluttering, breath catching, I caught his wrist.

My breathing was irregular. What the holy hell? People were staring. Fantastic.

“Have you gone postal?” I hissed.

He slipped his wrist away, a devilish smile peeking, illuminating his obsidian eyes. Desire swam in those deep irises. It set me ablaze, alluring my soul to his.

“I find that messy ponytail very, very...” his filled-out lips grazed my ear and he privy-whispered. “Sexy.”

Body flushing completely, I cursed myself. I hadn't worn my hair in a ponytail around school—only in gym—why had I gone and tied it? I hated it. They always came out untidy.

“I thought you wouldn't mess with me in anyway, not even if I begged you to?” I gritted.

Showing off those pearly-whites, Cam put our noses inches apart.

“Who says I'm messing with you?” an eyebrow arched. “You have to give yourself a little more credit, lovebird.” His eyes teased me by running down my whole body, stopping more than once. In key places. “Give me an answer when you've had enough time to think.”

He turned on his heel, walking towards our English class room. And with him, went the unbearable, heavy heat. The flip-flops remained, though. My stomach felt like a huge flipping pancake.

“Did Cameron just try to give you an orgasm in the middle of school?” Dawn mumbled baffled.

I glanced at her, open mouthed. Gaining control, I hurried, tugging my hair loose.

I didn't know about an orgasm, but my body was trembling everywhere.

English was more of the same. I avoided Phillip's eyes at all costs, gave V a tiny smile and nod. When class let out, Dawn kept telling me about her amazing time with Zeke, how she was sorry me and V hadn't gone—which made me feel guilty. I hadn't tried convincing Vanessa—and she avoided talking about anything funny Phillip had pulled.

“You still haven't told me what you did—” I readied a shrug but stopped. “Or why you have Cameron's hoodie hostage.”

Argh. I hated him.

“It... I borrowed it when I went over his place—to do the English stuff.” I let out a massive sigh. “It's not a big deal. Can you stop making up fantasies?”

Dawn held her hands up, “Hey, I didn't say a thing. Just listening like a good little girl.” Her smirk told me she was playing out different scenarios as we spoke.

“I thought you didn't like him flirting with me, anyway.” I stated, recalling the scene she'd pulled earlier.

Her face went under sudden lock-down.

Dawn spoke with a very serious undertone, “Just because it's obvious you two have pent-up sexual tension doesn't mean I want you to hook up.” Her voice lowered when we neared the cafeteria. “He's my friend. But what he did to V... it wasn't right. He doesn't even have an excuse for it.” She was utterly frustrated pulling curls from her forehead, as if that would help. “I...” she faced me with softer eyes. “I just don't want to see you get hurt, Nina. I really like you.” I wasn't ready for a hug, but I returned it smiling warmly.

Even as I held her and forced myself to agree with her view point, I thought about something Phill had said long ago: Don't talk about things you don't know.

He'd said it to Dawn when Cameron stalked off with a swell of anger and guilt. Biting my lip, I felt the need to know the motive behind V and Cam's break-up flourish.

“Is there any love left for me?”

I chuckled when Dawn practically whirled, throwing her arms around Zeke. He was wearing his Letterman Jacket and totally pulled it off. His pale blues gleamed as they stared into my friend's. I looked away feeling like an intruder.

When they started showing public affection was when I distanced myself, a bit.

“They're good together, huh?” my head swept to the right.

“Jesus,” I let out. “You scared me.” Vanessa gave her honest-to-God apologetic smile. “But yeah, they go together like sugar and spice.”

V's rosewood eyes glimmered with unspoken emotions.

“Can we... talk?” she murmured.

Taking a sharp intake of breath, I nodded. I wasn't angry with her. She'd always been nice to me, it wasn't her fault that she got turned into a blood-sucker.

We walked to the outside tables. The sky was filled with unsteady clouds that foretold rain. I took a seat, she took the one across from mine. Neither of us actually said anything, we stared. It wasn't until I got the urge to hum a tune that V began.

“They told me what happened—Phillip did, after Cam told him. Cameron doesn't like talking to me, or looking at me or being in the same room with me...” she smiled with no joy glaring at the table. “But anyway,” our eyes faced each other. “Are you okay?”

“I'm fine. Cameron took care of her.” I didn't know how I should talk about this. That Vampire was her father's killer, her maker... “How about you?”

She took a minute, “I feel... relieved.” I nodded. “She won't be able to hurt anyone else. I feel good.” There was a pause as wind swept our hairs side-to-side. V pushed her charcoal locks over her shoulders. “I'm sorry that you and Phill broke up.”

“Don't be. It's not your fault.”

“No, it kinda is. Isn't it? He was running off to help me whenever... I lost it.” Her eyes screamed with sincerity when she leaned forward. “But we have nothing. We're friends. Have been for a long time and...” Vanessa's chest fell as she found her words. “I owe him. He was there every step of the way if it wasn't for him, I'd be dead.”

“You don't have to—”

“No, I do.” Her hand latched for mine. “Phillip told me what was happening, thanks to him I had a choice. I didn't have to die. So, I took it. And I guess he feels it's his responsibility to take care of me, especially when Cameron said he wanted no part in it.”

My eyes narrowed, “Hold on. Why didn't Cameron help you? You were together.”

“We were,” she said. “But I've told you, it wasn't... romantic. It was convenience. We've known each other for the longest time—it just happened. It didn't mean that much. We were still just friends.”

“Dawn makes it sound like he should have his head cut off.” I chewed my lip. “For leaving you when he did.”

Vanessa rolled her eyes a tiny bit, “Dawn likes to make a big deal out of everything. I bet she secretly planned her wedding with Zeke.” We both let out a laugh. “I'm not sad because we broke up, I'm sad because... he's not my friend anymore. At least, that's what it feels like.”

Her eyes were downcast in loss. That's what swam in her eyes when Cameron was hanging around, grief. For a friend she lost.

“I don't understand...” I rubbed my temples, elbows on the table. “Why does he act that way?”

Vanessa winced, “Phillip says he feels...” her voice downed so much, I almost couldn't hear it over the roaring breeze. “Guilty.”

“Guilty...?” I drew out. “Guilty for what? He wasn't the one who attacked you, who bit you... it wasn't his fault.”

Vanessa seemed to get smaller, drawing her arms close mutely. Did she blame him?

“Of course I don't.” She gave me a sheepish look. I forgot she could read my thoughts. “It slips sometimes. Mostly when my emotions get the best of me. Talking about what happened... it gets me agitated.” Scared, she left the word to herself. “But no, I don't blame him. He does. Cam thinks I got attacked because we were together—as in a couple.”

An eye for an eye, I recalled. The Vampire from three nights ago had said it. Cameron killed her other-half, so, she went after Vanessa. Because she was with Cam.

“That's why she was going to kill me... she thought I was with him.”

Vanessa's expression came off as utterly sorrowful, eyes shinning with heartthrob.

Suddenly the reason why he didn't want to get close to anyone was clear. Why he was so protective of Phillip. He was the closest person to Cameron—his liability. And he pushed everyone away because... if he didn't they'd get hurt, like V had.

There were distractions, like Samantha, he didn't care one bit about people like her. But others he treasured... he kept them away.

“He let you too close and you were attacked.” She nodded glancing at the trees.

“Nina?”

“Huh?”

“I don't want to lose you as a friend.” A springy feeling shot all over. I was proud that she considered me important, especially in this new stage of her undead-life.

I did what any other person would have done while looking into V's glossy irises.

“You won't.” I assured.

Relief splayed her pretty face.

***

The first week of November was marked in rain.

It was pouring outside, meaning, I wasn't in a hurry to get out of school. I had no umbrella. Again. I should write it on my hand.

I glanced down at my arm. Scarring was taking place, my skin was sun-tanned everywhere but those five inches. Thank God, mom hadn't seen it, or anyone family related—or Dawn.

I closed my gym locker. The slam barely shut out the giggling girls. Conversation theme? Me. And Cameron.

A week had slugged by since he pulled that chummy-moment crap. Rumors were flying like crazy. The girls looked away when I met their gaze.

Wimps.

Reaching for my blue cardigan I saw them leave. Finally, peace. Now that I was the only one here, I could stop being uptight. I was careful so they wouldn't see my forming scar. That would upgrade me from slut to slut-cutter.

Grabbing my stuff, I left for the gym ready to bail on this prison—even if I had to make a run for it so I wouldn't get a cold. I heard shoes skidding across the floor. I was half-way to the gym's double doors. I could feel it in the air—he was there. Phillip liked practicing after school hours. He hadn't lied when he said he had a passion for the game.

The ball rolled over, stopping in front of my feet—tripping me. I didn't fall.

“I've got you.” The citrus smell was unmistakable and in my brain, it was calming. It made me realize I was clutching his biceps for dear life.

I cleared my throat as he set me upright, “You're still buff.” Of all the things I imagined myself saying to him, that hadn't been it.

Phillip's dangling hair shadowed his absolute clear eyes, he smiled a tiny bit.

“You're still clumsy.”

“It was your ball's fault.” I squeezed my arms close. “You should watch where you throw it.” I mumbled watching him pick up the round object.

“You're right,” his eyes still didn't meet mine. “I'm sorry.” He seemed to be apologizing for more than a careless ball throw.

Memories of not long ago surfaced; filling my heart with tender feeling towards Phillip. I looked at him—all of him. Wearing a T-shirt and jeans, wild rusty hair contrasting with the serene gaze. The last two weeks had been unbearable. Not once had I looked Phill in the eye, or in the face—or at his shadow. Now, I knew why.

Looking at him... it made me realize how much I missed him. How much I wanted him back in my life. But it still hurt, his lies and omissions, even if he'd done with good intentions.

His lips parted. I waited. Nothing came out, he smiled—politely, not his billion dollar smile or even a smirk—and turned away.

A frown creased my forehead. I was used to seeing a confident side of Phillip. Hesitation wasn't his middle name.

I felt my own mouth open—it stopped when a couple came through the doors, laughing. My eyes bulged out of their sockets.

Daren and Samantha. Awesome.

My legs didn't carry me far away in such little time. They saw me—then Phillip. Provocative one liners ensued.

“Oops,” Sam giggled. “We didn't know you were working on school hours, too.”

Daren's brown eyes drifted from Phillip to me, “You really like changing up brother's don't you?” they laughed and his arm on Sam became tighter. “She must really be good in the sack, Phill. You're even willing to share her with your brother. That's what I call devotion.”

“Say one more word, man—” Phill threw the ball acing the shot. “I dare you.” His electrical irises stormy.

If Daren was smarter than a bag of rocks, he didn't show it. I saw Sam curl her hand into his, she wasn't laughing anymore as Phillip stepped up. Murder in his eyes. She wasn't as dumb as I pegged her.

“Daren—” her call fell on deaf ears.

“I'm not scared of you, Leale.” Daren stood with his manly arms at his side, tense. “If I want to say your girlfriend's been rolling around with half the school, I will.” I wasn't sure what his mistake was. The cat-call or the shove to Phill's chest.

Anyways, what followed was a dry crack. Daren fell over with immense force. Sam wasn't the only one gasping. Blood poured from the football player's nose. Phillip didn't see it or chose to ignore it.

Catching the fallen guy's collar, Phill smacked him a new one—Daren's head snapped and Sam was screaming like a chicken with its head cut off. Stop him, my mind shouted. While another part, a darker one, wanted him to go on—wanted him to turn Daren into a pulp.

Phill's fist drew back, Daren's hands couldn't fight his hold off, “Picked a really bad day to piss me off.” Smack. “I've been having a really shitty week—” Pound. “Make that weeks—”

I caught his hand, barely. I'd wanted to let go when his bloodied knuckles touched my skin. Daren's blood was on his hand, literally.

“Phillip, no. That's enough.” My thumb skimmed over the ridges of his palm, yielding his anger—Daren's cursing pulled him into assassin-mode. “Phillip, stop—please, stop.” My hold intensified, heart kicking with worry. “Please, it's okay. Stop.” My words softened.

There was a crawling heat down my back, nearly making me lose my hold. Steps echoed.

“Phill,” Cameron's voice was like an anchor—the closer his brother got, the more Phillip's fist lowered. “Listen to Nina, 'kay? I'd love to kick his ribs but uncle Raph might not find it as hilarious.” I did my best not to laugh. Uncle Raph... their uncle was an Angel. Ha. Funny.

Cam's hand reached for his twin's fingers, they were still wrapped tight on Daren's shirt. Softly, he coaxed his younger brother's hand to open, let go. Cameron's team mate fell back with a groan of pure pain.

The older twin glared down with a twitch of disgust, “While a broken nose is definitely an improvement to his face, I think you should drive him to the hospital.” Sam didn't seem to hear him, too busy mumbling 'oh my Gods' all over the place. Using a pissed off tone, he barked, “Get him to the hospital.” Her eyes snapped to him. “Now.”

It worked like a charm. Daren was shoved off the ground by Cameron, and into Samantha. She was gloomy, turning her face from her boyfriend's. Daren went with grunts, complaining, threatening.

I was only able to breathe in when we were alone. With Cameron present my hand fell from Phill's.

“He deserved it.” Was Phillip's only excuse as Cam glared long and hard. “Don't act all superior. You would've done it and you know it.”

“Probably,” he said. “Doesn't mean it's right.”

Phillip exhaled, taking in the blood on his hand.

“I should... get this cleaned.” Those imaginable blue eyes gave me a look-over making sure I was alright, before he retreated to the locker room.

Cameron's gaze sought my hand, the one that had been holding Phillip's. There was a smudge of blood, I noted. I did what anyone would, wiped it on my jeans.

“What would've happened...?” I asked quietly, suddenly. “If you hadn't shown up, what would've happened?” it wasn't that I'd been scared for me. Phillip wouldn't hurt me.

Cam discarded my terrifying idea, “He wouldn't have killed him. He was going to stop. He knows self-control.” A grim line shaped his lips. “Phillip's not the one you have to worry about.”

“What?”

“Nothing,” he shifted his weight. “What were you doing here?”

Something in his questioning tone told me to tread carefully, “I had gym, I was just leaving, though.” Settling for the truth was good. “How about you?”

“I was coming to get Phillip. The Camaro-express is leaving. He hitchhikes with me when it's raining.” Right.

“Well,” I fidgeted. “I'll leave you to it—”

“Wait.” I could hardly breathe when he was standing this close to me, like, three-inches-away-close. “Have you thought about it?”

About the steamy effect you have on me? No, I can't say I have.

“About my offer?”

I mentally hanged myself, I was such a dork, “Offer... Oh.” Nope. The last few days had been too full with studying, avoiding and some more studying—not to mention my mother's rants on how my eighteen birthday was close. “Not really. I've been really busy, Cam.”

His eyes watched me from under his dark lashes, “Betcha you have,” before I got a word out, a hand was brushing along my arm. Even if our skin didn't touch, I still felt ridiculously hot. The slow descent of his hand had me screaming on the inside—begging for me to... to give in. “Been busy thinking of me, have you?”

That shattered it. I lashed with a hand, slapping him square on the chest.

He merely chuckled, that annoying I-know-you-want-me-chuckle he had.

“Just what are you playing at, Leale?” I bit with a nasty edge.

A strand of raven hair tickled my nose—Cameron smirked after puckering his lips oh-so-close to mine. I was left breathless.

“I have no idea what you're talking about, Cortez.” He shrugged and when he backed off, I felt cold.

The more I told myself to get a grip, the more I thought Cam was an addictive drug. Why couldn't be short and pimple-faced? This much attraction was going to drive me over the edge.

“Listen,” I side-stepped him. “if you're doing this because I kissed your cheek...” he regarded me with piercing eyes. “Don't. That was a thank-you for saving me. Nothing more.” Those words rung hollowly. I didn't buy my own shtick.

I thought I saw Cameron's mask miss a beat. That maybe I'd seen insecurity. He remained quiet, a tight lip-line as I walked away with a colorless feeling in my gut.

As I skipped across the parking lot—trying to dodge as much prickling rain as possible—forced my car door open and settled into my seat. Grabbing the wheel I took a minute.

Ever since I'd found out he held himself accountable for what happened to Vanessa, to her father... Being near Cam was much harder.

Knowing he put up shields to keep people out, keep them and himself safe, bothered me. Because I knew that hurt. I knew all too well. Cameron didn't deserve to spend all his life alone, putting up shields because of one bad happening.

No one deserved that.

And I should stop sympathizing with him.

Pain's not that hard to deal with, Nina, I remembered him telling me. Sometimes that's all that's left. And it's way better than to feel numb. There had been a soul-wrenching torture in the way he said it, like all he knew—all he'd ever known was pain.

Biting back a yell, I started my engine.

Yeah, something told me dealing with Cameron was going to be twenty-times more difficult.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments pretty please <3