Sequel: Infernal

Nocturnal

Chapter 24 - Eighteen Stars

Independence Day was here—no, not the Fourth of July—my eighteen birthday!

And so far, my day was going fine. Great, even. I woke up to a groovy radio song, danced my way through breakfast and my bathroom affairs—almost falling while dressing in my red stockings. Before going down, I checked my sleek turtleneck. It was tight—showing off my curves—and black. Dawn picked out when she was over yesterday. She insisted upon it, saying I needed to show off my every perfection.

I think she just liked dressing people up. That and we were going to catch a movie after school. I talked V into going, it hadn't been easy, but I got Phill's help and little by little, she relented.

Mom would scold me any other day for wearing shorts in the winter. Today, as I descended she practically shed a tear hugging me. Jeez, how would she get when Prom rolled around? Not that I had intentions of going. Or a date.

"My baby, my little girl—oh! It seems like only yesterday you were put in my arms," Was she going to cry? God, please no. "I remember the first time you looked up at me with those glossy eyes, beautiful, honey. You're so beautiful and... and a woman... oh, I'm just so happy!"

"Mom, mom—" I choked in her bear hug. Nigel was smirking behind her; I was so glad he found this amusing. "Save something for graduation, okay?" I patted her back as best as I could. Despite her overreacting feels, I was smiling. "Thanks for the smiley bacon and eggs."

"It was the champ's idea." My step-dad ruffled Henry's head; he looked up giving a toothy grin then went back to playing Candy Crush on Nigel's android. "You're looking very pretty today. Going to impress anyone?"

I scoffed, but mom's on the case.

"Is it Phillip?"

"No, mom. It's no one. Dawn picked out my birthday outfit. I take no credit for it."

Mom clasped my cheeks, gently. "Well, that doesn't matter. You do look beautiful." She kissed my forehead. "I love you, Nina."

I stop reaching for the door, "I love you, too, mom." I said with equal endearment.

Nigel swept into view again, holding up a finger, "Don't forget you have to be home by eight."

"I know, I know." I stopped by my outdated car. "Family dinner and all, I'm not that much of an airhead."

While driving to school I glared at my phone. It's gotten a few texts, all wishing 'happy birthday'. People who I left behind in San Diego, people who were only being polite and friendly—I had no real ties back there. Expect for my dad. Who hadn't called, yet. But it was only six thirty.

When I piled out, Dawn tackled me. Her hug was almost as crushing as my mom's. I laughed after the scare.

"I thought I was being mugged." I giggle when she lets go. Her bouncy locks of hair match her mood in sync.

"You're eighteen! You can do whatever you want now, move out, get married, have kids—" my eyes widen as a guy passing us glares over, grinning. Holy Jesus. "Sorry, I get excited." She shrugs and I automatically forgive her.

She's such a good friend. No one ever reacted to my birthday like she did, it was all new. V met us half-way to English. Her approach was much different than Dawn's. There was no squeezing embrace; it was replaced by a sunny smile.

"That sweater looks real good on you." V complemented as we walked into the classroom. Mr. Carter hadn't arrived, yet.

"You can thank me for all the attire." Dawn butted in with a childlike expression. "I wanted her inner hottie to come out and play—it's a big day."

I shook my head pulling out my stuff. As the rest of class fills the room and our teacher arrives, the tickle ran over my bones. I swallowed harshly. The tingle was so insistent, it made me chance a—

"Dude," Phill pushed past his brother. "You're blocking the way."

Yes, he was. He was by the door, unmoving, backpack slung over his shoulder. Eyes stoked, looking over at me. A blush crept over my cheeks. I'd been keeping distance from him like his presence was instant death.

"Mr. Leale," Mr. Cater gestured inside. "Either come in or step out."

Cam walked forward after shaking his head. What had he been thinking? He looked so... awed.

As soon as a chalk met the board, there was shifting from the front.

"Nina," my gaze drifted from one twin, to meet the other. "Happy birthday."

Phillip's blues twinkled as I managed a shy smile. I wished we were strangers again; starting over would be much easier if I couldn't remember... remember how he held my hands, embraced me, the gentle kisses and words. They might not have been passionate, but they were lovable. They'd meant something to me—not to him, though.

"You remembered."

Copper strands fell to his eyes, "You thought I wouldn't? Honestly, Nina, you think that low of me?" my insides compacted in a nervous, guilty, heap. "It meant something to me." He whispered, in a smaller voice. "I miss you, miss hanging out with you."

My lips parted—but Mr. Stuck-Up-the-Ass-Carter scolded my ex-boyfriend promptly. He turned in his chair, staring forward. I missed him, too. Half of me wanted to get over what happened—because his intentions had been good at heart—but another part...

I was so confused.

By the end of school, we left for the movies all bottled up in my white vehicle. I'd drop Dawn and V off on school afterwards, so they could take their cars home. Vanessa was the quietest one, but I'd seen her grin—thanks to my rearview mirror—every time Dawn cracked a funny.

I tried to keep my mind from going to the last time I was here. That day... it had been exhausting and mind-blowing. It changed my whole life.

"It's your B-day you get to pick what we watch." Dawn jumped circles—it felt like I was babysitting Henry.

V snickered, "You have no idea how its killing her not to pick the flick—she's a control freak when it comes to movies."

I smirked taking in the choices. There were two romances, one comedy, a terror, two thrillers... I scratched horror off quickly. Studying the movie posters, my gaze fell on the first thriller. The guy was kinda hot. Okay, very. And that leather jacket... I nibbled my lip.

It reminded me of someone. I groaned inwardly—nope. Not going there.

"Nina come on, the sessions are going to start. We still need goodies!" Dawn said in a panicky voice, people stared. What a show; you'd think she was announcing the apocalypse. "I'll get in line for popcorn, you guys buy tickets." She ran over to the line, not knowing my decision.

Twenty minutes later, we're digging into a big bucket of buttery goodness. It felt normal. V looked much looser. I was glad Phillip and I talked her into coming. Dawn's bursting with joy; almost like it was her birthday.

The movie's about the leather-wearing-jacket guy—who, as Dawn constantly pointed out, is hot—it started with him waking up in a crazy people's hospital. I really knew how to pick them.

Half-way through, we still didn't know the reason for him being there, minor hints were dropped here and there. Anyway, murders start happening around the hospital. Every lead pointed to our sexy-guy—duh.

Dawn got shushed by the audience after a shriek. I ate the popcorn quickly as we learned that the doctor treating him had been giving him a drug during their hypnotic-sessions. The doctor's been testing it on patients for years! Perfecting it. It pretty much made people do what they were told and they remembered none of it—that was freaking evil. Out of the corner of my eye, I glimpsed at V. She gave a stretch of lips, knowing what went through my mind. That drug pretty much did what she accomplished with her Power.

After a few more yelps from Dawn, the movie's ended. In the end, the doctor was caught in the act—thanks to a nurse who'd been helping our-good-guy—they shot him on spot. The male protagonist accepted to take pills for his bipolar-problem and was released into society. Guess who he ended up with? The nurse, yep.

All in all, it was a good flick.

"You almost got us kicked out." V shook her head.

Dawn inhaled deeply, full of drama, "I was scared. I'm a very sensitive soul." Her pretty eyes batted.

I laughed, "You yelped when they kissed."

"Kissed? You call that kissing? They tore each other's clothes off and had sex on an infirmary bed." She boldly put for anyone to hear. "That was hot and... it kinda turned me on."

God, this girl was off her rocket today. But we're all giggling and smirking commenting the hot scene between the couple. It hit me, when I dropped them off at school that this was the most fun I'd ever had on my birthday. It made me sad as it made me ecstatic.

When I pulled into our house I gaped—

"No way…" I muttered. A shiny Mercedes was parked outside. "It can't be..." I said parking in our driveway.

I checked my phone. No missed calls. He hadn't called all day and the car... this car... it was my dad's! I was out and running like a rabbit on fire, fumbling for the right key—I nearly fell into our hall.

"Dad!" I shouted throwing my arms around him. He'd been right in the living room; I didn't give him a second to breathe. "Oh my God! I thought you forgot my birthday—but you're here!"

My dad chuckled returning the hug just as strongly. I hadn't seen him in months.

"It's your eighteen birthday, pumpkin, did you think I'd forget? Never!" he kissed my cheek. "Your mom and I decided it would be a good surprise if we showed up. I've missed you a great deal, Nina."

I nodded pulling away. My eyes opened and I saw the other person, the one that completed 'we'. Rose. Huh. Without her I could live. My stomach turned as she came closer. She was taller than me, her hair completely blond and her eyes brown. Dressed impeccably like the business woman that she was, Rose smiled tightly—obviously making an effort for dad.

"Happy birthday, Nina." And I did the same, for my father, I tried. It was the shakiest smile yet. "How's your day been going?" her voice grew a little more relaxed.

"Good," I answered looking in turn. Mom and Henry are in the living room, watching cartoons. "Where's Nigel?"

Mom looked up very happily, and I can't help but think there's something about her... a certain glee. "Oh, he'll be here soon." I frowned. He should already be here. "He had to run out to the store. We ran out of milk."

"I think you've actually grown a little taller since I've last seen you." I scowled at his teasing. He patted my head, grinning softly. "Nope. Still a shortcake."

My ears fumed, "I'm not a short-anything!" And in that moment I remembered someone. Someone who says I'm short, too. Who teases me about it.

Who didn't say happy birthday. Suddenly, my throat clogged up. It shouldn't because he didn't know my birth date. I only knew his because I knew Phill's. And still... still it bothered me. It tore some big part of my happiness away and threw it in the garbage.

But what was my deal? Last week, I'd made the decision of keeping apart. Of ending our training sessions because of my insecurity. He told me he was sick of our game—but I wasn't playing any game. Was he?

"Nina?" mom's worried voice made it into my thoughts. Oops. I couldn't space out around her.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

"Fine," I muttered rubbing a temple. "So," I looked to dad, pushing my strange, complicated feelings. "You came all the way from Cali for me? Aren't people going to die without you there?" Or wasn't Rose going to go nuts if she didn't get back to her Company? She was a workaholic.

"I think my colleagues can get the job done." He beamed at me. "Plus, it's not only today, you know." It wasn't...? "I have many vacation days I never take. So does Rose." Oh my... "We're going to be here for a whole week."

Wow. A whole week? I didn't know how to feel about that. Spending time with dad was cool. Having to deal with the witchy-wife? The cool meter went low.

"In this house?" I couldn't help it.

Mom squeezed my shoulder in a silent scold.

"No," she cleared. "They'll stay in a hotel in town." Oh.

"You'll get a whole week with your dad, though." Rose maintained her smile. "Won't that be a blast?" A blast? What am I, eight?

I tried to hide an eye-roll, "Super." I cheered.

Me and dad sat and got to talking. I told him about school, Dawn and her sparkling personality. About Vanessa and how sweet she was. Detouring around Phillip and Cameron. I was getting away with it, too—but meddling mom charged in, ruining my plan.

"There was this boy named Phillip."

"Was? What happened?" Immediately, I felt sorry for Phillip. Dad's eyes were slits, jaw line hard. He was thinking he'd messed with me—which he did, sorta.

"Calm down, dad. We're just friends, there was nothing more." I shrugged, giving mommy dearest a dirty eye.

Henry jumped onto my lap—I let out a huff. This kid was getting big.

"What about Cameron? He was really nice, he made pancakes for me." My little brother shared with the innocence of a child.

Cold sweat gripped me. Eyes were on me. And mine were on Henry.

"Cameron?" mom intoned. "Pancakes? What's he talking about, honey?"

I'd been able to go almost three months without giving away the Cameron-subject. Now, I wanted a hole to fall through.

"Huh, Cameron…? Well, he's Phillip's brother—twin—and we had an English project together. I went over and took Henry along. Cam made pancakes because a certain little brother was being spoiled about getting his way." My eyebrows flexed towards him accusingly.

"You never mentioned a twin." Mom's eyes were all curious. That's exactly why I hadn't said a thing. "Are they identical?" I shook my head.

Thankfully, the boy-talk was dropped as a horn blared outside. I cocked my head. That didn't sound like our family car. Mom was all jumpy—in an excited way—I wondered what all the fuss was about. My dad smirked secretly at his ex-wife and current one, Henry was the only one who kept eyes on the TV.

Nigel came through our door and mom whisked me out onto the porch. I didn't understand anything—not until I landed eyes on what was parked in front of our house. Close to my father's Mercedes.

"Do you like it, honey? You kept complaining about the Toyota being old and slow—" somewhere dad grunted a few words. "And we knew how much you wanted a Beetle…" I cut off my mother by squealing in delight—behaving more like Dawn then myself.

"Oh my God—oh, mom… it's… Thank you!" I glanced back at the yellow Beetle. A Beetle Convertible. It must have cost so much.

"Don't thank only, Kelsey, it's from all of us." Dad put an arm around my shoulders; I kiss his cheek instantly—he was smiling. "Even if I do love that Toyota…" I heard him grumble under his breath.

A laugh escaped me, "Thank you, all of you. This is… wow." I could have never imagined a car—a Beetle! They'd always been a favorite of mine.

After checking my brand new car—it smelt fresh and leathery—we went inside for dinner. Nigel had gone to pick up my car from the stand. I was still blown away when we began eating spaghetti and meatballs—one of my favs—I'd just gotten a huge present. This whole day felt like compensation for all of the shitty stuff I've had to put up with at school.

When it was cake time, Henry came to my side clapping with all his heart. I blew out the candles, mouth already watering. Chocolate cake, gotta love it.

Dad and Rose left around midnight. I thanked them again for coming and for the part they'd played in my newest piece of property.

I closed my door, leaning on it. I was alone now, but I'd had a wonderful day. Everything had been great. Everything except…

My eyebrows knitted. There was something on my bed; something I hadn't left there. Biting my lip, I glanced all over the place—just darkness, space and me—there was no one else here.

The window!

The curtains flapped softly, flowing with the little wintery breeze. I hadn't left it open.

Approaching with caution—so much, so, it felt ridiculous—I reached tentatively for the thing. A square box; one big enough to fit the palm of my hand. I caught another thing, it had been below it—a card. I felt like a complete buffoon just looking down at the creamy, expensive paper.

It wouldn't jump and bite me. I hoped.

My fingers touched the soft piece of paper, on it, was my name. I turned it around slowly, wary of what it said—who it's from.

"Your eyes are strange."

Those were my first words to you.

My first lie.

I think they're beautiful, like millions of stars burning inside all at once.

I'm sorry for the lies. I hope you can forgive me.

Happy birthday—Cameron.


My hands are trembling. God—why were they shaking? Why were my eyes on fire and why… why did I feel the sudden need to run for my window, check if he was down below or on the roof?

I traced my finger over each calligraphy-written letter. Every charming word he'd written. He thought my eyes were beautiful, like stars. Oh my. No one had ever said that—or wrote it—to me. Did he know I liked his eyes, too? The thought was sudden, out of nowhere. I wanted him to know.

With all the emotions ridding high, I'd almost forgotten the square box. Setting the card gently on my comforter, where he had placed it, I opened it.

A necklace greeted me; one with a dazzling amber, crystal star hanging from an intricate chain. It was… stunning. The chain was light, but strong. It made that funny clink when I pulled it out, admiring it. It shone in the dim bedroom light.

My mouth was dry. If I had to speak right this sec, I wouldn't be able. I knew it. It was so… so…

I loved it.

It fit perfectly on me. With my personality, just like that half-moon tattoo fit with his.

The lobster clasp clicked, the amber star fell against my chest. I gazed at it, trailed my finger pads over its design.

How much had this cost him? Not that he couldn't afford it, he could. And I wasn't going to give it back. I liked the necklace and he'd offered it to me as a present. I wasn't a hypocrite, if you liked it, you kept it.

But it was more than the materialism. It was… sentimental. He'd put thought into this—into a gift for me.

I walked to the window surveying the darkness outside. Nothing but the nocturnal shadows cast by trees, houses, cars, houses—no Cameron. I closed the window, drawing the curtains. When I turned around, I blushed.

His hoodie was right there, out in the open—resting on my chair—he could've taken it. My flush grew when I realized Cameron Leale had been in my bedroom.

Before clicking my bedside lamp off, I read his flattering/apologetic card. There was multiple coiling deep inside my belly, butterflies took flight and my head was in a doozy. I tucked the creamy card inside my bedside table's drawer. Turning off the light, I shifted stroking the pendant, feeling drowsy.

What was with this guy?

He was so incredibly… alluring. Flustering, mysterious, dangerous—consuming. I bit my lip. Yes, Cameron was all that and much, much more. And he brought out something in me, I changed around him.

What did that mean?

I was confused. But also very tired.

Holding on to my newfound-precious, I fell into an easy sleep.

***

There was still a blush on my face as I walked into the school's library. Ever since Friday I'd been dying for Monday to come. There was a deep unrelenting need that had been brewing. I needed to see Cameron.

But today I hadn't seen him. I'd had to ask Phillip for his twin's whereabouts. And, well, it was weird. Phill had gone all smirky. I hoped he wasn't on board with Dawn and V—they both thought Cameron and I had a thing.

He said Cam was doing some reading for History. My mind went all loopy as I recalled it. He was so applied in his studies—hell, Cameron was applied in everything he did. Our session in the kitchen played behind my eyes. All of his touches, words, they'd been divine—he turned me on like crazy.

My brain liquefied the second I spotted him. He was sitting lazily, feet propped on the table's edge, chair tipped back, book in one hand. If the school's librarian saw him, he was toasted. Then again, he could probably use some oozy sexiness on her.

Coincidence or not, the moment my spine vibrated, his bottomless eyes lifted to me. My breath hitched. He likes my eyes… the thought had been a delicious treat over the weekend.

"Come to dump more water on me?" Stay calm, Nina, he's pushing your buttons. Resist. Don't give in.

I sat down and his eyes grew, bewildered. "You're wearing it." Cam breathed. I couldn't discern if he meant to say it out loud or if it slipped past his defenses. Cameron sounded… astonished.

"Wasn't I supposed to?"

"I thought you were going to hunt me down, cause another scene and insist on giving it back." I gave a dry look. "You're explosive, Rapunzel. I never know what to expect." He grinned.

Crossing my arms, I blew a sigh. "Well, I wasn't going to give it back. I liked it." More than you'll ever know.

"Good." Again, surprise morphed his face. "But just so you know, I wouldn't take it back even if you insisted. It looks much better on you. I'd have no use for it." For a moment, I imagined my star necklace on Cam and snickered. Nope, so not his style.

"I agree." I said softly.

We were bantering easily, not with heated temperaments and it was… normal. In moments like these, I forgot everything. Forgot about what existed beyond human senses, what we were; what happened in the last few weeks. In times like these, I was just a girl and he just a boy—a complicated boy.

Cameron had been staring all this time, from my golden pools to my amber pendant. His mouth started working, hesitantly as if he wasn't sure he had the right words.

"Does this mean you forgive me?" my eyebrow perked at his sudden boldness. So much for speechless. "You're wearing my gift. Does it mean I'm forgiven?"

I blinked. Why had I come here? God, he was distracting. Especially with his long legs crossed at the ankles, propped on the table… A smirk grew on him.

Smug-ass, I rolled my eyes. I'd come here to thank him for the gift, not at all thinking about granting forgiveness. My jaw clenched when I focused on his eyes. They weren't nearly as self-assured as his smirk. They were pained. Cameron was such a contradiction.

I realized this was important to him—wearing the necklace, forgiving him—there was so much under the gesture. And right then, I wanted to say 'yes'; wanted to forgive him because his eyes were screaming that he needed it.

"I don't like lies, Cameron." His jaw hardened, he was getting nervous. "Why did you have to lie?" I wasn't talking about my eyes, he knew it, too.

A frustrated sigh later, "Because I needed you to tap into it."

"Because you want me to find—"

"No," he growled. I stiffened seeing his hot-cover-magazine pose drop. Cam directed me a stewing gaze. "For Pete's sake woman, I don't want you to find anything. I'm not interested one tiny bit in what the Angels want." It's not hard to believe those words; he put such dislike behind them. "I don't give a crap about what they want, the war, and all the shit in between. I deal with it every day because I don't have a choice. It's my life, I was born into it."

My heart thumps hard as I recall what Raphael said, that we didn't have a choice, we either helped them or… we were marked as enemies; just because we were born into an Angelic bloodline. It was so unfair. The twins, though, they'd been in the loop for seventeen years. Seventeen years of no free will.

It was a horrible reality.

"I want to help you—fast." He said softer, this time. My eyes glided to his. "I lied because people don't like pain. How would I have convinced you to reach for Power after telling you there'd be an overwhelming desire to lose yourself in it? You wouldn't want it, Nina, you'd be scared." Cameron looked at my star for half a second, his lips tipped only slightly before a distant look overtook, mixed with empathy. "I know what that's like…"

I tilted my head, "What?"

He glared at his jeans breathing deeper. "Not being in control." He gritted.

I stared, stunned. Cameron not in control? I couldn't imagine it. He was always full of himself; he did everything right—perfectly.

"I can't picture you not in control of anything."

Our eyes connected and a grin spread. It was a short lived one, though, and it didn't reach his eyes.

"It feels like you're underwater, and no matter how much you fight, you can't reach the surface. It pulls you under, overpowers your every thought and it's easier just to give in." Parting my lips, I couldn't get words out. There was heavy melancholy printed in his midnight orbs; all I wanted to do was wrap him against me, a deep seeded need to console overthrew anything else. "The more you fight it, the more it hurts you." I dug my fingers under my chair, so I wouldn't leap forward. "So, before you learn how to use abilities, you learn how to negotiate with it."

"Like you told me to do," he nodded. "Will it hurt again?" I asked.

"Maybe," I licked my lips anxiously. "The faster you learn the better—for your sake, not for some stupid crusade." I broke into a smile—and it was genuine. "Does that smile mean you do forgive me?"

Gentleness covered his eyes and voice, actually, there was a tiny pout of his lips—and that sensual mouth in a pout? No one could help me resist, there was no saying 'no' to that.

"Yes," my voice came out small, low so only he heard. "I forgive you."

The dark cloud lifted from him; my heart did a happy dance.

"Does that mean I can help you?" Before nodding, I remembered Raph's visit. Didn't he know? "What?" Cameron asked, perceptive like always.

"It's… you're… err… uncle paid me a visit about a week ago or so." His eyebrows jumped—oh crap. He had no idea. He wasn't faking. "He knew I turned down your help, he offered his."

"He went to talk to you?" he was raving. "Did he threaten you—what did he say?"

I gasped inaudibly; his hand was cupping my cheek. Electrical pleasure danced back and forth. Crap. That was… irresistible. Recuperating from the sudden affection, I eased my palm over his in a sign of assurance.

"He didn't threaten me—or anyone for that matter. He just offered help—oh, and healed my scar." Which I was very thankful for. "Said it was a sign of good faith,"

Getting a hold of himself, Cameron sat back down. Damn, I wanted his skin brushing mine. It was soothing—intoxicating.

"Do you think he would've hurt me—my family?"

His eyes were hooded when he spoke, "I don't know. I don't trust any of them, Nina. Not even Raph—never completely. He trained us, raised us, but I…" he ran a hand through his burnished hair. "I don't like being anyone's soldier. I never signed up for it, and they don't give me a choice. I don't trust them."

I licked my lips feeling on edge. His fingertips touched mine, barely, and it was enough to create a massive chill of bliss.

"Should I be afraid?" the world fell away, we were in our own little bubble.

Cam's mask fell somewhat, making butterflies soar round my stomach.

"Not if you're smart about it," he whispered. "For now, I'll help you. They won't bug you as long as you're doing what they want, which in this case, it's what you want." He paused. "Afterwards, we'll see. One step at a time, Rapunzel."

I liked that idea. My fingers innocently started slipping between his—

He muttered curses that could've made a sailor blush. He really hated the bell. And so did I. Our fingers fell away.

Grabbing our things we moved for the door.

"So you like my eyes." I pointed out with a smile I couldn't contain.

Cam's epic smile tingles my body to its core.

"I do," he stated with no beating-around-the-bush excuses. "There's more I like."

"Oh?"

"Mmm," his eyes gleam, traveling down all of me—sweeping my every pore in a flaming gaze. "Your clothes last Friday were very problematic for me."

I blushed ten shades redder than tomatoes. He said that while looking down to his… oh, God. Wow. Couldn't he be more discrete?

I elbowed him, "You're such a perv." A perv that could write beautifully.

Cameron took one final glance at me, our eyes locked for instants, then we went our separate ways. Only my stomach couldn't keep still at his comments.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for the continued support peeps, hope you enjoy!