Sequel: Infernal

Nocturnal

Chapter 25 - Listen to Your Heart

I glared into his black eyes, “I don't see how that's any of your business.” Still, the necklace around my neck... “With Dawn. We're just crashing. She really wants to go and Zeke has to work all day tomorrow.” I shrugged. “I'm just doing it for her.” There'd been happy couples all week—for some reason, I hated that they were so hyped for a school dance. Probably because no one asked me.

Something in Cam slackened, he went from strung-wire to relaxed. Was he going? I chewed my lip. Had he asked anyone or wasn't he the dance-type-of-guy? With him who knew. Though, the thought of seeing him there with another girl... it turned me into a green bean.

“Phillip told me V has a date.” He sounded cautious. My blood boiled, jealousy growing—stupid, I thought. “Who is it?”

“It's a cute guy from my Trigg class.” His eyes narrowed at 'cute'. “What's it to you?”

Cam steered easily with one hand as the other coursed through his hair.

“I'm worried she loses it. There's going to be many people there, lots of heartbeats.” Ah. The vamp-issue, of course. “Phillip's going to keep an eye on her.” I tilted my head into the headrest, that was news to me. “What time do I need to get you back?”

“Huh, around five?” It was almost four. We weren't going to get much done, today.

Once at his house, we didn't waste time and did what we'd been doing for three afternoons. Cameron used calming words when I showed fear or hesitation. And occasionally, made a joke at my expanse leaving me reeling. His last one was that I had PTSD when it came to my Power.

I smacked him a good one for that. Deep down, I was thankful for him, taking the edge off the pain. And it was getting better, I was trying to embrace it, not fight it. Cam couldn't teach me anything else until I did that completely—merge with my Power, he'd said. It all sounded very Star-wary to me.

On our drive back, my body was buried in the expensive leather seat. A soft woman's voice played in the background, I wanted to ask who was singing but didn't want to break our cozy silence. Every now and then, I saw him steal glimpses at me, because I did the same.

There was one time when his jaw flexed, his mouth opened faintly—he closed it abruptly. I dug my nails into my palms. What was he going to say?

Cameron was by my side when I hauled my exhausted body out the car. He followed closely until we were at the porch.

“How bad is it?” he asked leaning on a white column. “On a scale of one to ten.”

I leaned on the wall, thinking how my legs were shaky and my heart was pumping fast. There wasn't a terrible headache.

“Five? It feels like I've ran a marathon or had a really long gym class.” My muscles burned when I shifted. “It's not blinding anymore.”

“Glad to hear it.” I hugged my arms. How wasn't he cold in only a shirt? “You're getting better, soon you'll be a pro.” I smiled slightly, doubting it. “Nina?” he asked suddenly, quietly, feet shifty—my heart swelled, eyes widened.

“Yes?” I stepped forward unconsciously. It hit me then, that our eyes were complete opposites. Light and dark.

His lips pursed, my heart tutted fervently. Cam closed his and took a breath.

“Don't do that.”

“Do what?”

“Look at me like that.” Like what? “Like I'm... like I'm the only thing you see.” I couldn't decide what was creepier, him answering my unspoken question or him hitting spot on. “It's not right,” he softly said, face sullen. “I'm not right for you.”

Who said I wanted him? A corner of my subconscious whispered: liar! Why else would you forgive him? Keep his hoodie for weeks and trust him—feel safe? And there's that hunger...

My eyes had fallen to his sculptured lips. Were they soft or hard like Phill's?

“Why not?” Cam turned his face. He wasn't going to tell me. “I think I can make decisions for myself. I'm eighteen now, you know?” I went for a grin—it fell when he didn't find it humorous.

“Take my word for it.” He whispered tersely.

I took a deep breath. When he called my name... I thought—maybe—he was going to ask me to the stupid dance—instead, he wanted me to stop liking him? I wished I could, I really did. But after everything he'd done, I still couldn't hate him. He made it hard when he showed his soft, vulnerable side.

“I like to form my own opinions, thank you.” He smirked at my snarkiness. “Why do you want to keep me away?” I calmed down, lowering my voice.

Cameron's crossed arms tightened. “I'm not a good person, Nina. You should stay far, far away from me.” He kept pulling me back in, though. “I just... there's something about you—it pulls me in no matter how much I push you in the other direction. No matter what I do, we keep ending together.”

My chest heaved at his words. His head bowed, hiding his gaze from me. An undeniable pull... I felt it, too. All the time.

A horn jostled me.

Dawn's car was parked right outside. I had to pick up the dress!

But... looking into his eyes, I saw the tenderness displayed, a deep, consuming need. I knew mine were the same—Dawn horned again and I wanted to flip her and the dresses off.

I would've, if Cameron hadn't bounded down the steps first.

***

Friday night I wanted to do everything but go to the dance.

During my sleep last night I had horrible dreams. All around was fire, burning angrily, menacingly—no escape. There had been despair closing in on my heart. I'd woken up several times, I think I yelled once. Surprisingly, mom didn't barge into my room.

When Dawn arrived, though, my mind shook it off. She turned my bedroom into a salon. Before I knew it, she was using a curling iron making my hair wavier, cascading all down my back. She applied mascara, gave me lipstick and put blush on my cheeks. When she was done I could barely move, afraid of ruin all the perfection.

I was wearing a sweetheart-type dress. It was absolutely debonair—Dawn picked it out—it was strapless, the bodice and neckline were beaded with glinting gems. From my belly button down, the dress fell in a flowy, ruffled skirt cut in different sizes, creating a glamorous effect. Mom loaned me a pair of crystal earrings. My heels were a softer shade of gold, milky even, they were simple and made me five inches taller.

“I had no idea your hair was this long.” I mused, in the middle of straining Dawn's curls. Her auburn hair was practically straight, curving at the ends. “You're dress is so pretty.” I giggled watching her bright smile—she always managed to get my mood high.

“Thanks,” her smile flattered a tiny bit. “I wished Zeke could be there...” I squeezed her shoulder in comfort.

Dawn was looked like a princess out of a fairy tale. Her baby-blue dress—stunning with her mocha skin—was short, strapless. It was a power play of elegant and sassy. The bodice had a sweetheart neckline and a sparkling floral applique accentuating the waist. Luxurious organza ruffles created a sensational skirt, a chic and modern.

Dawn slipped on three bracelets and looked at me. “That necklace's so beautiful! And it goes perfectly with the dress and your eyes.” She winked.

Ah yes, the amber star was hanging from my neck. I hadn't taken it off since my birthday. Should I? Cam said he wanted me far from him—but didn't.

Oh, what did that mean? It wasn't like I could ask Dawn, or mom. They would blow everything out of proportions.

Shaking my head, I followed my stunning friend down the stairs, grabbing my clutch. I almost fell over seeing as every member of my family was staring. Geez, you'd think they'd never see me again.

Mom was holding her camera—yeah, she was overemotional—snapping away. Dawn was more than happy to pose, she tugged my arm and I was infected with her good mood once more.

“Mom you'll ruin my makeup...” I got out as she stopped hugging me, kissing my cheeks.

“Honey, it's your first high school dance, let me enjoy this!” Fair enough. “And you look... just...”

“Dazzling,” dad stepped up patting mom's shoulder in a mock fashion. “You really do, pumpkin. I'm glad we stayed the week.”

“Me too, dad.” I hugged him and didn't let go, not immediately. My stomach was getting all twisty—why? Hadn't I felt like this before? “Weird...” I muttered.

“What is?”

“I don't know... my stomach's all shifty.” Like something was making me nervous, though I didn't know why.

“Probably nerves.” Dawn cut in. “But I'm not going to let you get cold feet on me now, Cortez. We're dressed and ready to party!”

Everyone laughed at Dawn's excitement—minus Rose, she looked like she was getting a migraine from our family moment. How could dad like her? Go figure.

We set out for my car, and, just before pulling away I glanced at the door. My stomach constricted—I bit down my lip. Cold feet? Probably; well, Dawn wouldn't let me back down.

The parking lot was filled up. Wow. So much school spirit.

We went for the gym, boys passed us eying us bleary eyed—already they'd been drinking? I shook my head.

“Is V here yet?” Dawn asked gazing in turn.

I had no idea. Checking my phone, I saw no calls or messages. The gym had that scent, but they'd outdone themselves—according to Dawn. There were several tables spread, snow flakes hung from the ceiling celebrating the first of December. An old-fashioned disco ball spun restlessly flashing lights everywhere. The DJ set was across the entire space, giving us a lot of room for dancing.

I removed my white shawl, placing it and my clutch on our table. Dawn didn't sit down though, a minute later I was being pulled. Looking to the entrance, I saw V and her date. Aw, she was blushing. Then again, who wouldn't be? Dawn was gushing.

“Doesn't she look amazing, Gary?”

Gary was quiet, flushing crimson. He was about V's height, with pretty hazel eyes, soft brown hair. He had Trigg with both me and Miss Hyperactive.

“Very amazing.” He whispered at last, giving Vanessa a soft smile. She returned a shy one.

It was so nice to see her happy. And Gary wasn't lying, her cocktail dress featured a lacy, high neck bodice with a seductive open back design.

“I think you need to lay off whatever you get high on.” We shared a laugh looking at Dawn's dismissive wave.

“You're just jealous of my sparkling personality.”

“I'll be right back, okay?” Gary mumbled going off to meet some friends.

We weren't alone for more than five minutes.

“I was right,” a charming voice came from behind. “I saw three beautifully dressed ladies over here and just knew it had to be you.”

Phillip was... well, perfect. He more than pulled off a tux. It was the right size in every way, so was his white shirt. His hair was gelled to the sides, very elegant, formal but young. He didn't belong at a school dance—more like a red-carpet.

“I thought you were kidding when you said you were coming.” Dawn squeaked grasping his arm.

“Why?” I found myself curious.

Phillip smiled—and for the first time in ages it was his billionaire-smile. “I hate dances.” He couldn't say it with a straight face, not when Dawn was bouncing begging him to dance. “Hold on—don't rip my arm off, woman.” He sighed when she pouted. “Okay, fine. One dance.”

She raced for the dance floor where couples began assembling. Great. My date had deserted me.

Vanessa stayed with me for a while, we were sitting at our table making fun of Sam and Daren's dance moves—they had no sync, plus, Daren could only sway. Then again, most boys only swayed.

When V went off with Gary, I was left to watch my friends dance. Phillip said he didn't like dances, he wasn't bad it. I began fiddling with my necklace and...

And among the dancing crowd I saw him. His eye caught mine before I could turn away. And... it was everything I needed, his eyes drew me in, attracted me like the most powerful magnets in the world. If I'd never experienced this sensation I would have never believed its existence—it was clearly abnormal. Soon, the dancing students muddled with the gym walls, the teachers who were playing chaperon—they were all lost to me. Across the way was Cameron, that was all I knew, all I could see.

I felt my heart beat faster, faster, and faster 'till the point where I thought it would burst from my chest—he was walking to me—I'd collapse if he took too long. My heart thumped in a quick pace as he stopped inches away. When had I gotten up?

“Where's your date?” I asked automatically, unsure of what I should do.

Cam tilted his head, his lips shaped into a relaxed line. “Didn't bring one.” He said.

“Why not? Any girl would kill for a chance to come with you.”

His obsidian eyes stood out among the flashing lights, even the ones the old-dated disco ball reflected onto the walls. I read them like his emotions were an open book.

“I have high standards—I don't want just any girl.” There was a pitfall of anguish—churning pain painted his expression. Cam displayed it for a second before pulling on the mask. “Just one.” I shivered completely knocked off balanced by what I'd heard.

Cameron sighed shaking his hair out, when he looked back up he smiled. “Dance with me?” he asked a heartbeat after a painfully sweet, slow song began.

My limbs were locked up. Had he just...? Good God, my cheeks were red tomatoes under his gaze. Hadn't he told me to stay away? Yes, but he also said he couldn't keep us apart no matter what.

“Why?” I whispered.

Cameron's shock of black hair fell to his eyes, “It's close to Christmas, I figured I'd give you an early gift.”

“Oh, so you're being nice to me as a gift?”

“No,” he snorted. “Dancing with me is.” I blinked, I shouldn't have, because a lot of things could happen when you blinked—you could suddenly lose control of your body and, for example, take the hand being held out to you and move to the dance floor.

That was what happened. Me and Cam where mingling with rest of the couples, dancing to the slow rhythm. My hands found their way to his shoulders, his were on my waist, our chests brushing. Little tickling shocks rippled up my fingers—rattling my bones until I felt weak, I propelled closer.

“I think my mom danced to this when she was our age.” I said to try and break the spell he had my eyes under, or was it the other way around? Which one of us was spelling who? Cameron didn't seem all that in control himself.

He smirked down. “Are you calling your mom old?” he teased in my ear.

I felt his fingers rising, trailing over my hips, up my sides—I turned my head so he didn't see the effect his touch had on me.

I drew in the shakiest breath ever. “She'll never know...” Cam's finger tips dug softly into the middle of my naked back—continuing on their way. “Unless you tell her.” My hands grasped his shoulders on impulse.

The fresh breath showered my neck. We stopped talking about the song or my mom. His nose touched my temple, we swayed in a careful and precise manner, Cameron led us wonderfully. He was strong, yet elegant.

Cam was wearing a black shirt—one button popped—underneath an open tux. It fitted his shoulders perfectly, same as Phillip.

Being pressed to Cam's taut chest, was the most comforting gesture ever. My hands wrapped behind his nape softly.

“You look stunning, by the way.” Bells went off in my brain—a compliment.

I felt myself fall into the slow dance further, forgetting everything, everyone besides him. His own black holes continuously gazed down on me.

“I thought you hated me.” I blurted when his poetic lips slipped open.

They slammed down, a thin line showing disapproval—his gaze welled with guilt.

“I don't hate you, Nina.” His fingers moved over my shoulder blades, making me want to melt for him. “It would be impossible for me to hate you.”

My forehead wrinkled, “Then why... why do you act the way you do? You run all hot and cold.”

He cracked a chuckle at that—I didn't think it was funny, but my head swooned as I heard the sound.

“You dance better than I expected, Rapunzel—still haven't stepped on my feet.” There he went—changing the subject. Why did he have to make things hard...? “This would be so much easier if you hated me.”

Oh, Cameron. Why do you say things like that? I couldn't find words, only 'why' and he wouldn't answer.

My fingers inched north, tangling into his hair—his breathing itched and I wondered why it felt so great seeing him quiver under my touch, or why his touch had the same effect on me?

He dragged me slowly, our hips bumped—we were that close.

I was in a blissful moment. Then, I was swept away into a whirling of pain and the only thing I could call out was Cameron's name.

“Nina?” he tried keeping his voice on the low-side. “What's wrong, hey, look at me—tell me what's wrong? What is it?”

I heard him, I clung to him for dear life before I sunk low on the floor. Flashes were coming, burning everything was just burning away. Flames unstoppable and... and... oh my. No. It couldn't be.

I opened my eyes to see his—mirroring mine in agitation. “Get me out of here—now! I need to go home.” I hissed not waiting for him to move. I tried for the door, Cameron caught my wrist tugging me back— “Cam I need to go! Something's happening, it's... bad... God, no... Please, please let me go!”

Some people stopped dancing, looking at us weirdly. We ignored them.

“What's the bad thing—tell me.” He took my face between his hands. I grabbed them. “Nina, please, I'll help you.”

Managing to subdue my choked sobs, I whispered, “I think my house's on fire.” His eyes doubled in size. “...and my family's trapped inside.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please :)