Status: I've changed the era to Half Blood Prince due to a plot change. Thanks for reading :)

Wherever the Wind Takes Me.

Welcome to Hogwarts

I climbed onto the carriage, looking around at all the empty seats with a sense of relief and definitely no regret; I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone new. I was scared and paranoid but also excited and elated. This year would be my first at Hogwarts and I was a complete mess, my emotions and thoughts on the matter colliding constantly. The thestrals neighed and were about to make their decent when a boy climbed onto the carriage suddenly, his pale blond hair contradicting his black suit and bag. He sat across from me and didn't seem to acknowledge me at all for a while, looking around angrily as the carriage began to move.
“Erm- are you alright?” I questioned. He looked startled that I had said anything but quickly picked up that I was speaking to him.
“Who are you?” He demanded. Wow, rude much?
Despite his unpleasant reaction, I kept proper and polite, extending my hand for him to shake. After all, I did go to Beauxbatons. They teach you manners before they dare to teach you magic. “Chanel Lynette. And you are?”
“That's none of your concern, is it? Mudblood.” He sneered.
“I will have you know that my family has been nothing but purebloods for the past five centuries.” I retorted. I sighed, disappointed that I had let this boy get the best of me before turning away and hoping he wouldn't reply. I was done.
“Oh really? I'm sure.” He hissed.
“Alright, what's your problem? I just asked you if you were alright and you treat me like this?”
He scoffed before turning his head, looking ahead at the path before the carriage. He couldn't see them, but thestrals were pulling the carriage. Only those who've seen death can see them.
The ride was silent until we finally got to the castle, both of us hastily climbing out of the carriage to get away from one another. He met with a group of his friends, which consisted of two large guys and one hideous girl, before pointing at me and whispering something to them in disgust. They all stared at me before going into the castle with the crowd of young witches and wizards, eventually disappearing from sight. I was about to follow everyone into the Great Hall when I felt a hand on my shoulder, turning back to find an old woman wearing a witch's hat smiling down on me.
“Hello dear, follow me this way, we'll sort you in my office.”
Sort? Like into houses?
“Erm- alright.” I muttered. I followed her up a set of stairs to an office on the first floor of a large tower (I was later informed this was the Defense Against the Dark Arts tower) and followed her to her desk where an old, beaten, patched up hat sat. She picked it up off the desk and came over to me.
“Alright dear, just let me place this on your head...” She said. She placed the hat on my bed of brown hair before the hat- began talking?
“Hmm... yes, yes...” It muttered. I sat there for a few seconds, my heart racing and not really sure what to expect, when it finally yelled: “Slytherin!”
“Slytherin?” I wondered aloud. She smiled at me before plucking the hat off my head and taking it in her hand, the hat vanishing into thin air.
“They'll be needing that at the feast.” She said. “Now for your robes.”
With a wave of her wand, multiple pairs of robes appeared in the air, complete with green and silver accents and a badge that read 'Slytherin' with a silver snake. I took them in my arms and she smiled once again.
“Now off you go, I wouldn't want you to miss your feast!”
After our private sorting I wandered around for ten minutes looking for a bathroom, finally finding one and changing into my robes. I stuffed the others in my bag and ran out of there before the ghost girl haunting one of the stalls chased me away. I went down to the Great Hall and sat down at what I assumed to be the Slytherin table, judging by the colors the students were wearing. The person I was sitting by turned to me and my stomach dropped; not him again.
“Oh. Hello.” He said calmly, studying my robes. So now he was being nice.
“Erm- hi.”
“I apologize about earlier, I-”
“Didn't know I was going to be in Slytherin?” I assumed. He chuckled nervously.
“Yes, well, I try not to associate with anyone outside of our house. I didn't know if you were like- Potter.” He grimaced at the name, looking as though he had just swallowed a piece of sour candy. My stomach dropped.
“Potter? As in-”
“Harry Potter, yes.” He said, unamused. “I can't stand him.”
My mind was racing; Harry Potter went to this school. Harry Potter. The boy my-
“So, Chanel, right?” He questioned. I nodded.
“Yes.”
“Right. I'm Draco, Draco Malfoy.”
He held out his hand and I took it, shaking it before turning to the mountains of food that had been sitting on the table; I took a pumpkin pasty and awkwardly stabbed it with my fork, unsure of what to say or do.
“So I'm assuming you're from France?” He asked. I nodded.
“Yeah. Paris, Beauxbatons.”
“Brilliant. Well, erm- welcome to England. How long have you been here?”
“A few years. Did I miss something?” I motioned towards the the head of the room where the staff were sitting and enjoying their meals. Didn't they have announcements?
“Nothing really, just some announcements, a new Potions master and Snape's been made the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor."
“Ah.” I studied all the teachers, one specific professor catching my eye. “Draco, who is he?”
“Hmm?” He raised his eyebrows and looked up towards the staff table, following my eyes. “Oh, that one there's Professor Snape, head of Slytherin and Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. He's brilliant, I think you'll like him.”
He looked really... familiar. I wasn't sure where I'd seen him before, but I knew I had. I was broken out of my daze by a high-pitched shrill voice, one I hadn't yet heard.
“Draco, who is she?”
It was the girl Draco was talking to earlier, her eyes on me in evident disgust. I glared at her in return as Draco cleared his throat.
“Her name's Chanel. Chanel, this is Pansy.”
“Lovely.” I said sarcastically. She angrily exhaled through her nose before returning to her meal, keeping a close eye on Draco and I. He didn't seem to notice.
The thing I noticed from my very first day at Hogwarts; I was going to have problems with Pansy Parkinson.