Status: A work in progress. Updates may be slow due to school.

Tied

Psychic, part 1

I sat in my last class of the day, my fingers tapping against the edge of my desk. I was so anxious to get out of class and head over to that psychic to (hopefully) figure this thing out. After what seemed like an eternity of notes and homework assignments, the bell finally sounded and I sprung up out of my chair. I shoved papers and pens haphazardly into my bookbag before nearly sprinting out the door and down to the parking lot. Somehow, Zhenia was there already, leaning casually against the side of my car. I unlocked it with a click, and his hand strayed to the passenger door. I swatted it away.

“What makes you think you get shotgun?” I questioned playfully. He pouted slightly.

“Hey! I was here first! Shouldn’t that count for something?” I shake my head.

“Nope!” I said, popping the ‘p’ at the end of the word. “No boys in the front of the car.” He grumbled before opening the back door and sliding into the seat. I turned around, chuckling, to see Rhea right in front of me.

“So Raven…” She questioned teasingly. “What’s up with Zhenia sitting in the back? Were you saving the front seat for someone else…?” I swallowed quickly before regaining my composure. I smirked and replied.

“You know the rules! No boys riding shotgun!” Zhenia flipped me the bird and Rhea started laughing in that ringing way that always makes me smile. She opened the door.

“Then can I sit up front?” I smile at her.

“Of course you can, my dear.” I noticed her blushing slightly and smiled to myself. Maybe she really did like me… I mean, she did wear that scarf I got her for her birthday last year, and she didn’t seem upset with me. Plus she was grinning like a fool and blushing at nearly everything I said. I had been in love enough times to be able to recognize the signs in another of the female species.

Aurore came dashing up, her arms full of books and her forehead sweaty. I grimaced at her shirt for the second or third time today and opened the back door for her. She sat in the back beside her brother and let out an exasperated breath, tugging at the neck of her shirt.

“I seriously hope this thing has AC.” I started the car and blasted the air as we rolled out of the parking lot. Rhea started digging in her purse and I glanced over as she pulled out a top and threw it at Aurore.

“Put this on. We don’t need to hide the words right now, and it’s making me sweat just looking at you.” Aurore blushed and let out a little squeek.

“Change? Right here in the car?” I shrugged and Zhenia rolled his eyes.

“We’re all ladies here.” I called back. Zhenia laughed before flipping me another bird. She blushed again before unstrapping and disappearing behind the seat. A few seconds later she emerged with one of Rhea’s band tees on, noticeably cooler. I looked back at her in the rear view mirror.

“I’m gonna need directions if we’re going to get there safely.” She handed me a crumpled up piece of notebook paper. I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, that really helps.” Rhea took the paper from me and smoothed it out before spreading it across the dash where I could read it. I took a chance and winked at her.

“Thanks Co-Pilot.” I caught her blushing out of the corner of my eye and warmth spread through my belly. So winking was probably a good thing.

The directions took us on a winding path downtown and up to this line of buildings. There was the psychic’s shop, a doorway barely big enough to squeeze through and an old neon sign to make sure people noticed she was there. Sheer scarves were hung in the window as curtains and a kewpie lamp sat just beyond them, the doll at the base staring blankly out the window. Aurore opened the door and a set of bells tinkled. We stepped inside the dimly lit room and the smell of incense penetrated our senses. Alerted by the bells, a middle aged woman swept out of the back room in flowing skirts and scarves.

I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. She certainly looked the part of a mystical sage-woman with psychic powers. She looked up at us and her eyes went wide. She spoke, and her voice was somewhat scratchy, like she was a long-time smoker.

“Your presence is old, ancient, yet you are all young. Your souls are tied, and you wish to free them…” she closed her eyes for a moment before looking at us again. She looked at each of us in turn, murmuring under her breath. “A painter, a poet, a leader, and a thinker, all tied to the future and all wishing to return.” Rhea’s eyes jerked open and she elbowed me sharply in the side. I winced slightly.

“I know something weighs on all of your minds. Come, sit and we shall talk. We may be able to think through this and find what these old souls want with four young bodies and minds.” Glancing around at each other, we sat at her round, paw-foot table. I sat down beside Rhea, hoping to draw comfort from her closeness. Aurore spoke.

“Lady Tatiana, something strange has been happening, and we were hoping you could help…”

Under the table, Rhea grabbed my hand, her fingers lacing in mine. My mouth dropped open for a split second before my lips formed a soft smile. I smiled over at her and nudged her foot with mine, squeezing her hand tighter. I had my Rhea back, and in a better way than I could have imagined.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello dearies! Things are really about to start picking up now! Unfortunately, it's time for my beautiful co-author and I to pick up our books and calculators. We start school Monday, so updates might start slowing down. Bear with us, and know that feedback always motivates us to set down that boring homework and write for you guys instead! I love you all!