Status: New idea?

Rule of Rose

Everything was in chaos. At least, from what I could tell.

Sitting in the dank cabin, I knelt slowly unto the rotten wood and pressed my ear to the wooden door. Outside, I could hear footsteps stomping about, up and down the stairs from the deck to the lower quarters of the ship. Thunk, thunk, thunk. Men shouted inaudible orders at each other and a few times I could just make out a woman's voice. I licked my chapped lips and held my breath, wondering if they knew where I was hiding. Praying they did not.

A howl rang in my ears from the deck and instantly I recognized it. My breath caught in my throat and my heart hammered against my chest as everything and everyone suddenly grew silent. The stomping ceased, though I was certain they were still just beyond the door separating us.

A new set of boots clunked from the deck. They were slow and steady steps; he was taking his time. Building the nerves in my shaking bosom. This torture went on for what seemed like an eternity, until I heard him pause just behind my door.

Hugging my torn gown to my chest and face, I squeezed my eyes shut in anticipation. His gloved hand gripped the bronze knob and turned it quickly, harshly. My eyes sprung open in fear, an expression returned with a toothy, wild grin.

"Welcome back, Princess."