Sequel: House of Wolves
Status: Updates every Saturday @12 p.m. PST

Season of the Witch

Here's to starting over.

The morning was cold and foggy. October sat near her window, looking across the yard. Lydia was sprawled on October's bed, slightly snoring. October couldn't sleep that night, too busy thinking about how the day will unfold. It would take a few hours to drive back home. Walnut Creek. She never had the intention of going back and now she had to go because her family was killed. This was just joyous. October wasn't looking forward to the car ride with James. He'd ask too many questions that she wasn't sure she even wanted to answer.

October looked at her clock. It was 8 in the morning. She contemplated she should leave the house now to speak with Dr. Deaton and not come back. There wasn't much they would talk about. He wanted her to continue her studies when she was in the right state of mind. All she wanted to do was concentrate on her magic. She didn’t care if her feelings got in the way. They'd always be there. It wasn't like they'd just shut off when she needed them to. It frustrated October to no end that everyone was treating her like a child.

She wasn’t a child. She could take care of herself. And, that's when she realized she could just work by herself, stay away from the supernatural on her free time and work on her own powers. No one would be the wiser. She'd go to Dr. Deaton and work with him, but when she got home she could just do her own thing. October nodded to herself. That sounded like a better idea. She didn't need to depend on anyone but herself. Lydia stirred, causing October to break from her thoughts. The strawberry-blonde yawned and sat up, rubbing her eyes. She gave October a sleepy smile.

"We should do something before you leave today," She said. "Maybe go to the mall and watch a movie, get your mind off things."

October nodded and smiled. Certainly, it could help, but there would be no way anything will get her in better spirits.

Image


"That was a dumb movie," Lydia sighed.

October snorted. It was her idea to go watch a romantic comedy. Throughout the movie, both girls commented on how unrealistic it was - even throwing some popcorn at the main man whenever he did something stupid. They were nearly kicked out, but they quieted down, still making snarky comments on how horrible it was.

"When you get back, we are definitely watching something better," Lydia continued. "Maybe The Notebook or something."

October laughed. "I've never seen The Notebook."

Lydia stared at her wide-eyed. "How in the hell have you never watched it? Now, we are seriously watching it. I'd invite Allison, but she's already off to Paris."

The strawberry-blonde made a face. It didn't take a genius to see how jealous Lydia was. But, October made no comment, only shrugged. She was glad the dark haired beauty was going to be gone for the most of summer. It meant there would be no way she could find out about October.

"We can watch The Notebook if, and only if, we can pig out," October said.

Lydia mock-gasped. "What type of girl do you take me for?"

The girls laughed as they walked to Lydia's car. As they drove, Lydia began talking about Isaac. It almost seemed like he was the only subject she wanted to talk about while October was around.

"You do realize he's not to going to wait around forever, right?"

October rose a brow. "What are you talking about?"

"Look," She sighed. "I can see the way he looks at you and the way you look at him. It'll happen between you guys. So, don't make him wait."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Lydia scoffed. "Are you kidding me? You can't tell me there is nothing going on between you."

"There isn’t," October shrugged. "I don't see why it matters."

"Of course you don't."

Image


Isaac was waiting at October's front door when they pulled up. Lydia gave her a side eye glance before smirking.

"Yeah, nothing is going on," She whispered as October stepped out of the car.

October rolled her eyes. Deciding against giving a comeback, she slammed the door shut behind her. She gave Isaac a tight smile as she walked up the driveway. He didn't give her one in return. October shrugged it off.

"What's up?" She asked unlocking the front door. "Sour Wolf need anything?"

Isaac shook his head. "No. I wanted to see you off."

She rose a brow. "Oh, yeah? Well, come in. I'm leaving in half an hour or so."

He followed her into the house, closing the door behind him. His palms began to get clammy when they reached her room. Before he left the Depot this morning, Peter had teased him about "young love", whatever the hell that meant.

"Your face healed," Isaac commented, brushing his fingers over the fresh skin.

October nodded. "Mhm, it healed while I slept."

"How? Why didn't those scars heal?"

October's eyes went dark. "This ring is enchanted. For these scars, the weapons the hunters used was covered in poison. It took longer for them to heal. The hospital I was brought to pumped the poison out of my system before it killed me."

Isaac dropped his hands from her face. Her life before Beacon Hills was horrible, it seemed, but he made no comment. October sighed and moved away to zip up her small suitcase. Isaac sat on her bed and played with her comforter, thinking of something to say. But he couldn't. He just watched as October flitted around her room. She grabbed a lighter from her desk and lit an incense.

"It smells good," Isaac said, breaking the silence.

October smiled. "My mom made these before she died. They were safe from the fire - in a steel safe. These ones are meant for calming."

And as an offering to the Gods, but she didn't say as much. She needed the scent to keep her cool for the next few days. October thought about taking a few for her trip, but decided against it. Just lighting this once should help her.

"When will you be back?" Isaac asked as he stood, stepping closer to the teen witch.

"Tuesday, I think," October breathed out. "Tuesday night the latest. It won't take long."

It won't take long to say her farewells; it won't take long to burn the bodies; it won't take long to disperse the ashes. She wanted to say those things, but Isaac wouldn't understand. Or maybe he would. October didn't want to take the chances if he wouldn't. She jumped up in surprise when Isaac enveloped her in a warm hug. In no time, she gave in and wrapped her arms around his waist. She needed this. She needed a nice hug from a nice boy who wanted to care for her.

"Thank you," She mumbled against his chest. "Thank you for dealing with me and my shit."

Isaac didn't speak. His large hands rubbed circles against her back. October didn't mind. She enjoyed the way he felt against her. He smelled like old cologne and of the woods. It was calming, just like her incense. She tighten her hold on him, afraid he'd just get up and leave. Isaac placed a small kiss on the top of her head. Though, he wished it was her lips.

The tense air dissipated as they held each other. October reluctantly let go. Isaac placed his hands on her shoulders, though. She rose her brows, opening her mouth to say something. But, he cut her off with his own lips. The kiss was awkward and short lived. Before she had the chance to kiss back, he had pulled away. Isaac's cheeks were burning, as was October's. They looked at each other, eyes the size of saucers.

"I, um," Isaac started. "I'll see you when you get back."

He moved around her and left her. October didn't move from where she stood. Her fingers brushed against her lips, recalling the way Isaac's chapped lips pushed against hers. Her face reddened again. Nothing is going on between us. But there was… Wasn't there? James knocked on her door before stepping inside. One look at his younger sister and he somehow knew. James smirked, hazel eyes glowing.

"So, you and that Isaac kid, huh?" James teased. "Anyway, it's time to go."

October nodded, absentmindedly. Her fingers still brushing against her lips. The warmth of Isaac's was now gone being replaced by the cool air. James chuckled as he grabbed October's suitcase from her bed.

"Just don't get pregnant," He said for the second time.

Image


On the drive to Walnut Creek, October's mind wandered back to Isaac. Had he purposely kissed her to make her think of him while she was gone? The thought made October sigh for the umpteenth time. She had texted Lydia what had happened when they drove off. The other teen was excited about what had happened, but October wasn't quite sure how she felt about it.

"How did you two meet?" James asked, the first to break the silence.

October shrugged. "School, obviously."

He snorted. "You like him?"

"I don’t know."

"You don't know? Come on, Toby. He seemed like a nice enough kid."

She sighed deeply. "Why can't you be like other big brothers and threaten to kick his ass if he breaks my heart or something?"

"He can't do that if you don't like him back. Why? You want me to kick his ass?"

October laughed and shook her head. "No. I really don't know how I feel, James. There's just a lot of baggage that comes along with him."

"You have baggage, too," James pointed out. "What he has, doesn’t even compare to what you have."

The teenage girl rolled her eyes. James had absolutely no idea. The night Matt had hit her, James came into her hospital room and asked her what the hell happened. October told him some girls thought it'd be funny to jump her at Lydia's party. He never questioned her about it again. And, she still felt guilty about it.

"The redhead figured out you're a witch, didn't she?" James eyed her from the corner of her eye.

"How did you - "

"I saw it in her eyes the night you two left," He answered almost immediately. "She was scared. But, it seems you two patched it up. Let's hope she doesn't open her mouth."

October shook her head. "She wouldn’t."

"Yeah," James frowned. "We'll see."

October huffed and sat lower in her seat. Why couldn’t he just believe her? She nearly laughed at that. Could she really have him trust her when she's been lying to him for so long? The rest of the car ride was quiet, save for the music playing. October's anxiety peeked up when the sign for Walnut Creek whizzed by.

"Home Sweet Home," James mumbled underneath his breath.

Image


The motel room they rented was small and dingy. October sat on her bed and checked her phone. There was barely any service in the room. October wanted to get everything done as soon as possible because she didn't want to be stuck in this shithole of a place. Too many painful memories and James didn't even know half of them.

"Why are you so nervous?" James asked as he sat on his bed.

October wrapped an arm around herself. "I'm just afraid they'll notice us."

"They won't," James tried to be convincing. "We’ll have a glamour up. Okay? No one will know that it's us."

She nodded, not really believing it. But, she didn't want to have another argument with him. October tried sleeping that night, but could only get three hours of sleep. She laid on the lumpy bed, staring at the popcorn ceiling. She thought about things she wanted so badly to forget. But, her surroundings was a harsh reminder as to what she was going to do.

"How'd you sleep?" James asked when he woke up to see her in her funeral clothes.

October shrugged. "Not that well, to be honest. This place just makes me nervous is all."

He nodded, agreeing that he felt weird about being back here. "It'll all be over in a few hours. After we cremate them and spread the ashes, we'll drive out of town to that diner we saw driving up. We can find another motel out of this town. Are you cool with that?"

"Yeah. Sounds good… so long as I get to have desert."

James laughed and shook his head. October knew that was his way of agreeing without having to say anything. He left to the restroom, leaving the young girl to her own thoughts. She waited a moment before dashing to her phone and leaving the small, safe room. The air was sharp and stung her cheeks. Quickly, she dialed Scott's number hoping he'd pick up. She needed some serious advice at the moment.

Scott answered, voice groggy. "Toby? It's seven in the morning."

"I need your help," October felt her chest tighten.

"What? What's wrong?" Scott began panicking. "Did you guys get into trouble on your way there?"

October sat on the concrete. "Not necessarily. I'm sorry - this is stupid. I shouldn't have called. I'll let you go. Um, see you when I get back."

"No!" He cleared his throat. "It's fine. What did you need?"

She sniffled, before laughing through her tears. "I can't go through with today, Scott. I can't just go a-and say my goodbyes. I'm going back to that house and every time I think about it, I feel like I'm going to die. I feel that if I go back, those people are going to be there and they're going to get us."

"It's a big place, Toby," Scott took a while to answer her. "It's not like they're going to be looking for you guys after so long. Just calm down. Okay? It's going to be alright. Take a deep breath. It'll be over before you know it."

"It's not that easy," October shook her head. "I wish it were that simple, but it isn't. I just want to be happy again."

There was silence on the other line until Scott breathed out heavily. "Look, Toby, life is hard. It's so damn hard, but you can't let a few road bumps get you down. You have us. You have me, Stiles and Lydia. Lydia and Stiles try their damn hardest to make you happy. So, don't tell me you aren't happy. When you're with us, I can see how happy you really are. And, you have Isaac, too, you know."

October scoffed. "I don't even know where to begin with Isaac. And, I guess you are right. It's so fucking difficult sometimes. I-I'm sorry about calling you so early in the morning."

"It's fine."

"No, it's not. I was being selfish. I wasn't thinking about you and how you wouldn't want to be woken up to this. I'm such a fucking idiot."

"Seriously, it's fine, Toby. If you did call someone else, they wouldn't even think about answering their phone. So, don't worry about it."

October smiled and let out a small laugh. He was right. Stiles would just let it go to voicemail. Lydia would try to answer, but she'd end up falling asleep on the phone. She was glad that Scott took the time to stay up and talk to her. This possibly changed their friendship. Before they just tolerated each other. Maybe, now, they'll be more friendly.

"I just hope I didn't ruin your day with my tears," October said.

"What? Nah," Scott laughed a bit. "Not at all. Don't worry about it, Toby. Things will look up - for the both of us. I know they will."

The young teens smiled and said their goodbyes. It was almost time for October to leave for the cremation process and Scott wanted to spend his day with Mama McCall - first by making breakfast in bed. October stood and returned to the motel room, feeling a whole lot better than she was before. James was adjusting his tie when she sat on her bed. He looked her over before going back to his tie.

"Are you ready for the day?" He asked as he shrugged on his jacket.

"As ready as I'll ever be," October breathed.

He nodded and motioned her over. She rose a brow but went to him anyway. She was surprised when James brought her into a tight hug. She smiled a bit before hugging him back. This was the first time in a long time they hugged. It was the first time in a long time that he ever got this close to her - physically and emotionally. October sighed and hugged him tighter. Throughout this whole time, she never once asked him how he felt about it. And, now, she thought she was a complete ass for disregarding her brother.

In the midst of things, October forgot to care for her brother. Though, he was older than she was, she had to look out for him as much as he had to look out for her. Realizing her mistake, she repeatedly told him how sorry she was. James probably didn't know what she was sorry about, but it felt good to tell him that.

"Come on," James pulled away, tears in his eyes as he smoothed out October's hair. "We should get going."

October wiped her face and followed James out of the room. After today, October wanted to take a step forward with her life. She wanted to stop feeling bad about herself. It wasn't helping anyone and it wasn't healthy at all. Here's to starting over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for not posting lately. I've been busy with finals and what not. :( but, i'll get back to it soon!