Sequel: House of Wolves
Status: Updates every Saturday @12 p.m. PST

Season of the Witch

"Shut up, Stilinski."

“Will you just shut up?” October pulled at her hair. “I'm trying my best here.”

It had been about three and a half months since Peter came to October's home, taking her under his wing. No matter how many days came by, it didn't make dealing with Peter any less painful. His mean jabs at how weak her magic was what set her off today.

“It seems as though your best isn't enough. Do you want people to die around you because you couldn't figure out how to work anything?” Peter continued. “Quit whining like a baby and try harder.”

October groaned, feeling fatigued by how much she had been training lately. With Isaac out looking for Erica and Boyd, it just left her with this and, sometimes, her friends. Lately, though, she was pushing everyone away slightly. She wanted to work on herself. She needed to get stronger. October wanted to be able to protect herself and the people around her. Licking her dry lips, she focused on her magic. She felt it swirl around her.

Peter watched from ten yards away, waiting. October took one step forward and then ran at Peter. He continued to wait. When she was within a few feet in front of him, she pulled out the knife out of the holster of her belt. Peter grabbed her wrist and squeezed. That caused the knife to fall. Without giving up, October swung her other arm back and tried to hit him. It didn't work. He grabbed her fist just before it collided with his jaw.

“Again,” He grunted as he pushed her back, letting her go.

October stumbled backwards, careful not to fall. Sweat beaded on her forehead and rolled down her face. She wiped the sweat away with her forearm. She picked up the knife and stared at it for a moment. What was she doing with her life? Beacon Hills was supposed to be her getaway from the supernatural world. On her left, she could hear soft footsteps coming up the hill they were on. October rose a brow at Peter. He shook his head.

Without a warning, October threw the sharp knife, just missing Stiles' head. The knife landed in the tree bark with a loud thud. Stiles' mouth was wide open, as was his eyes. He looked at October and then the knife behind him. He returned his gaze on the small girl. She shrugged. Scott came up from behind Stiles, the knife in his hand.

“You could have killed me,” Stiles said as he reached her.

October shrugged again. “But, I didn't. What are you guys doing here anyway?”

“We need Toby time!” Stiles complained.

“He's also afraid to come with me to get my tattoo,” Scott gave October the knife.

She put it back in her holster. Looking up, she glanced to where Peter had been. He wasn't there anymore. Training is over then, she thought. October smiled at the two boys in front of her.

“I just need to shower first.” She said.

Image


The tattoo shop that Scott decided to go to wasn't that bad. Stiles was rummaging through the portfolios they kept at the front. He snorted and showed October one. It was the Kanima. She glared at him slightly and nodded her head at Scott. Stiles got the hint and showed him.

“Hey, Scott, sure you don't want something like this?” A small smile formed on his lips. “Too soon? Yeah. I don't know, man. Are you sure about this? I mean, these things are pretty permanent, you know?”

October snickered at Scott's reaction. Stiles put the portfolio down and rubbed his hands together, obviously nervous.

Scott smiled. “I'm not changing my mind.”

“Okay, but why two bands?” He watched as the artist prepped.

“I just like it.”

“But, don't you think your first tattoo should have some kind of meaning, you know, or something.”

“Just let the damn boy get his tattoo,” October shook her head. “If I knew you were going to be like this...”

Scott laughed. “Yeah! And, getting a tattoo means something. Why aren't you all over Toby for her tattoo?”

Stiles opened and closed his mouth a few times. He licked his lips and shook his head. October watched as he squirmed. She stood from where she sat and patted his shoulder. He was going to have to deal with his best friend getting a tattoo, which sucked for him. He sighed, almost giving up.

“I don't think that's -” Stiles started.

The artist interrupted. “He's right, tattooing goes back thousands of years. The Tahitian word tatua means to leave a mark. Like... a rite of passage.”

“Yeah, you see?” Scott immediately agreeing with him. “He gets it.”

“He's covered in tattoos, Scott,” Stiles looked at the artist up and down. “Literally.”

“Okay, you ready?” The artist asked Scott. “You ain't got any problems with needles, do you?”

Stiles leaned in closer as he started the tattoo gun. “I tend to get a little squeamish.”

A few seconds after mumbling to himself, Stiles fainted. October, already figuring that was going to happen, had placed a healing sachet in his pocket, so the fall wouldn’t be too bad. She wasn't strong enough to lift him, but she was able to pull him to the side so Stiles was out of anyone's way. October watched as Scott got tattooed. But, she stayed away to make sure that Stiles was still okay. Every now and again, Scott would give her a thumbs up as to say things were going swell. October would smile and give him a thumbs up as well.

She was so tired. Isaac wasn't answering her calls. She honestly hoped that things were okay. Whatever he was doing to Derek had better not get him killed. October ran an hand through her hair and sighed. She hoped that he was just ignoring her calls and he wasn't in any kind of trouble.

Image


The trio returned the Stiles' jeep. Stiles carried an ice pack for his head. Considering how he tumbled, October was sure he didn't need it. October tried to get comfortable in the back seat, but there was no way. Stiles noticed her struggling and coughed back a laugh.

“Shut up, Stilinski,” October glared.

Stiles tried, but to no avail. “You can sit up here, Toby.”

“You see, about that... I don't want to get in between your weird bromance thing that's happening.”

“Suit yourself.”

October bit her tongue before she said anything else. Why did she have to open her mouth? She could have been comfy between the boys than uncomfortable on the uneven seats in the back. Scott was groaning and looking at his bandaged arm.

“You okay?” Stiles asked, concerned.

“Kinda burns,” Scott answered.

“Yes, you just had your skin stabbed about a hundred thousand times by a... needle.”

“Yeah, but I don't think it's supposed to feel like this. Toby?” Both boys looked at her.

October bit her lip. “It shouldn't burn. It might be different considering your a wolf. Take off the wrap, Scott.”

Stiles shook his head. “No. No. No!”

Scott jumped and groaned. “Oh, god. It's definitely not supposed to feel like this. Oh, I gotta take this off. Sorry, Stiles.”

Scott removed the wrap, all the while Stiles was repeating no as fast as he could. October peeked over at Scott's arm as it began to heal over – as though there was never a tattoo to begin with.

“It healed.” Scott stated the obvious.

Stiles cleared his throat and started the jeep. “Ah, thank god. I hated it. Sorry.”

October slapped the back of Stiles' head, hard. He turned to look at her, eyes were narrowed. She rose a brow and looked at Scott. Stiles sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

“We could possibly go to Derek,” October said in a small voice. “Doesn't he have a tattoo?”

The boys didn't say anything. They knew it was the best idea, but it still didn't mean that they wanted to see the older werewolf. For the next few miles, all that was spoken about was girls. October didn't even try to chime in. They wouldn't even listen to her advice if she tried. As they neared a red light, October looked to the car on the right. She had to do a double take. Well, this isn't going to be awkward at all. October tried to get the attention of the boys, but it was no use.

October threw her head back and groaned. She cursed the Gods and the boys for never listening. It was as though she didn't even exist. What was the point in her even coming tonight? She could have slept or practiced some more magic. Stiles must have noticed the girls and cued Scott in on it because they were totally freaking out.

“Can we please drive, Stiles?” Scott ducked into his seat.

Stiles gestured to the light. “Scott, it's a red light. I think we should talk to her, I just think we should say something.”

The boy leaned over the seats, rolling down the window. Scott tried his best to get rid of the lanky boy, but there was no way to stop him. Even October tried pulling him back, but from where she was sitting, it was impossible. All she was able to do was remove one arm from his flannel.

Just as the window was rolled down, Stiles greeted them, but was answered with the screech of tires. October used all of her strength, with her magic, to put him back in his seat. He looked at the two angry teens in front of him and bobbed his head.

“You know, they probably didn't see us,” He pursed his lips.

“Are you an idiot?” October asked, completely serious. “Seriously, Stiles?”

Stiles rolled his eyes and fixed his flannel. “It wasn't that bad, Toby.”

Once the light turned green, Stiles sped up, tailing the girls. October refrained from putting a spell on Stiles. It wouldn't end well for the both of them.

“What're you doing?” Scott asked.

Stiles shrugged. “I'm driving.”

“We're right behind them.”

“Okay, well, do you see any turns?”

“I don't want it to look like we're following them!”

“Well, what do you want me to do?” Stiles asked, knowing his best friend didn't have a plan. “You have any ideas, Toby?”

“I don't know, anything!” Scott looked back and forth.

“I'm surprised you remembered I came,” October yelled. “Just stop the car, Stiles!”

“Ah, fine, don't yell at me,” Stiles stepped on the breaks and waited.

In front of the trio, Lydia stopped her car. They looked at each other. Was this some kind of trick? As soon as those words crossed October's mind, she heard the screams from the girls. The three in the jeep quickly jumped out of the car and towards the other car. They exited quickly and ran to the trunk. Scott went straight to Allison. Lydia went to both Stiles and October, but she latched onto October's hand.

“It came out of nowhere,” Lydia said. “It ran right into us. Well, I'm not okay! I am totally freaking out. How the hell does that just run into us?”

The grip on October's hand tightened. “Lydia, you need to calm down.”

“Calm down?” Lydia screamed. “How can I calm down? I saw it's eyes right before it hit us. It was like it – it was like it was crazy.”

Scott shook his head a bit. “No, it was scared. Actually... terrified.”

Finally, Lydia let go of October's hand. It was beginning to get numb. Lydia shook her head and wrapped her arms around herself. Of course there couldn't be a night without something strange happening. October placed her head on Lydia's shoulder and put an arm around her. There was no such thing as an un-supernatural night in Beacon Hills, was there?

Image


October ran her hand through her hair for the umpteenth time that hour. Isaac still hadn't answered his phone or called back. She leaned against her locker, waiting for Lydia to leave her boytoy. Soon enough, she got a text from the strawberry-blonde to meet at Allison's locker. October made her way through the halls, avoiding as many people as she possibly could.

“You mean, fresh boys,” Allison placed things into her locker. “Lydia, they're fourteen.”

“Eh, some are more mature than others,” Lydia waved it off.

October tilted her head slightly when she reached the girls. “Don't harass the poor kids. They won't know what hit them until it's too late.”

Lydia rolled her eyes. “Oh, shut it. You'd totally be drooling over someone else if it weren't for Mr. Lahey.”

Allison smiled. “I can't believe you two are finally together.”

October felt her cheeks warm, but then Lydia spoke. “They haven't even slept together yet.”

“Not all relationships revolve around sex, Lydia,” Allison shut her locker. “And, you know it's okay to be single. Focus on yourself for a little while, work on becoming a better person.”

Lydia chuckled. “Allison, I love you. So, if we need to do that thing were we talk about me, but pretend we're like not actually about you, it's totally fine. And, that goes for you, too, Toby. But, I don't want a boyfriend. I want a distraction.”

At that exact moment, the three girls looked down the hall, searching for a nice distraction for Lydia. They found one. Lydia eyed them, a smile on her face.

“Brothers?” Allison asked.

Lydia smirked. “Twins.”

She watched as they walked by and sighed. Who knew that Lydia could pay attention to something for so long? The first bell rang, signaling that class was going to start in six minutes. October groaned and hugged both girls. She had a completely different English class. Right as she was about to walk into the room, her phone started going off. She looked around and stepped back to an empty area.

“Yes?” October chewed on her thumbnail.

“Toby?” Melissa's voice was hushed. “I need you to come to the hospital. Scott isn't answering his phone. Please, Toby, Isaac needs help. He said to not call you, but I needed to. Please, please, hurry.”

October nodded. “Yeah, yeah. I'm on my way right now.”

And, she was. She hadn't realized she was walking out of the school as she spoke to Melissa. The walk to her car was too long, so she decided to jog. It didn't make it any faster. Her phone started ringing again. This time it was James.

“Did you know you're boyfriend is in the hospital?” James didn't give her time to greet him. “What the hell does he do, Toby? Is this the baggage you were talking about?”

October sighed and rubbed her eyes before starting the car. “I'll explain everything when I get there, James. So, please, just get back to work and make sure he's safe.”

She threw her phone on the passenger seat and drove out of the school lot as quickly as she could. What was she supposed to tell James? She honestly had no idea what happened last night for that matter. And, how is she supposed to explain that she's friends with werewolves? Of course he knew they were real, but October knew James wouldn't feel comfortable with her being with them all of the time.

October pushed her foot harder on the gas pedal, praying to the gods that their weren't any cops around. Luckily, there weren't any cops and she made it in twenty minutes. Just as she was about to walk into the hospital, she spotted Derek. Her fists clenched as she stalked over to him.

“What the hell?” She hissed, pushing him. “What happened last night?”

Derek crossed his arms and smirked at her attempts to hurt him. “I don't know what happened. I need you to go to my place. Look, I want you to go there now.”

October shook her head. “Why? What's wrong?”

“The Alpha Pack, I'm guessing.”

“Great. That's just wonderful. If you don't get back in forty-five minutes, I'm going to hunt you down.”

Derek tsked and walked into the hospital, leaving October alone. She pursed her lips and walked back to her car. She finally noticed Scott's bike. He must have weaved through traffic to get there before her. October glanced at the hospital again before heading out. Derek definitely had hell to pay for this.

The Hale house wasn't too far from the hospital – just about twenty five minutes. October felt her stomach clench as she watched the leaves in the trees bustle. She wrapped her arms around her middle and stepped away from the window. What the hell was even happening? October's phone vibrated in her pocket. She got a text from Scott. Isaac's in the hospital, but don't worry, it read. She huffed, and locked her phone. She couldn't help but worry. Isaac was in the hospital and who the hell knew why? What did he get himself into?

She must have spent a lot of time thinking because she heard Scott and Derek come in. She couldn't move when she saw that Isaac was being held by Derek. Scott stared at October as he hung up the phone. Isaac was placed on the table.

“You don't still live here, do you?” Scott asked, looking around.

“No. The county took over it. But, there's something here that I need.”

October went to Isaac. Her eyes stung from tears that threatened to fall. She grabbed his hand and sniffled. She ignored what the men were saying. She didn't care. What she cared about was Isaac being okay. His skin was clammy, but she didn't pay any attention to it. It felt like if October were to let go, something horrid was going to happen. Her heart nearly jumped out of her chest when her phone rang.

She answered without looking at who it was. “Hello?”

“October Hallowell,” Lydia spoke into the phone. “Where are you? Allison and I just left school, there was this weird attack in Ms. Blake's class. And some freak who had a personal space problem basically attacked us - “

“What happened?”

“I don't know she was looking for Scott. And, then she grabbed us. We have this gnarly bruise. Look, Toby, are you still in school?”

October sighed. “No. I'm at the Hale house. Isaac's been hurt and - “

“He won't die if you leave,” Lydia whispered. “I'm sure Derek will be able to take care of this.”

The dark haired girl looked over to the men. Derek was looking over Scott's tattoo. Derek pulled out a torch and that's when October knew it was time to take her leave.

“Yeah, I'm sure he will,” October bit her lip. “I'll see you soon.”

The girls hung up. October tried to make it over to the three boys before Derek maimed Scott with the flame, but she didn't get there on time. Stiles took a step, but Derek forced him back. Stiles looked scared for his life as he placed his hands on Scott's shoulders to hold him down. October cleared her throat. The three of them looked at her.

“Please, call when he wakes up,” October scratched the back of her neck.

Derek nodded. October gave him a small smile and left without a goodbye. October could hear Scott's screams as she got into her car. She closed her eyes for a moment. He'd better not hurt Stiles.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, hey. It's been a very long time. Ah, I'm sorry. I really am. I've just been dealing with a lot of crap. But, it's summer now - so no more college classes to get in the way. Haha. I hope you enjoyed this. Um, I know it isn't great. I feel like this really sucked. But, I wanted something out. >.<