Sequel: House of Wolves
Status: Updates every Saturday @12 p.m. PST

Season of the Witch

She was surrounded by idiots.

The next day at school, things seemed to be off. Well, not like they were normal to even begin with. October could hear the whispers of what had happened last night all throughout the school. It was driving her insane. What the hell had happened last night? At her locker, her thoughts went back to what she saw at Scott's. What was that thing? She couldn’t figure it out - not even with the help of her Book of Shadows (BOS). Almost everything had a tail in the damn book.

October had to find a way to get Stiles or Scott or someone to tell her. She could always just eavesdrop again. She bit her lip as she nodded. That sounded like a safer bet than anything, especially with what she saw the other night. But as the day grew on, she realized Isaac, Jackson, and Stiles hadn't come to school today. Scott wasn't talking to anyone. Her plan wasn't taking off to a good start. Maybe she should have just grabbed Scott and force answers out of him.

But that would bring on a whole new rainstorm of questions. Like, why was she spying on them? Or, why did she care? October sighed as she entered World History. She found a seat near Scott, hoping to find him texting Stiles about what had happened. An older woman with short red hair walked into the classroom. Scott visibly tensed as did Allison.

"I'm afraid your teacher was feeling ill today, and had to leave early. So, unfortunately, you're stuck with me as a substitute," She leaned against her desk, a smirk playing on her lips. "Can anyone catch me up to speed on where we are? Mr. McCall, how 'bout you?"

October had her brows raised. Did they all know each other? The look Mrs. Argent was giving Scott was making even October feel uncomfortable. After that awkward moment, the class still hadn't seemed to warm up. Everyone caught on to the fact that this - whatever thiswas - was not normal. When the bell rang, everyone sprung out of their seats to leave. As October left the door, the air felt lighter.

She quickly walked past Scott, not noticing the look on his face. He stared after her. Scott thought back to the night before. He remembered driving past her while she sat in her Impala. He remembered sensing dread and fear. Her eyes were wide and her knuckles white as she gripped her steering wheel. Scott wondered what she was doing there, but he didn't want to say anything to Stiles. So, he left it alone. But, Stiles wasn't in school. He went to follow her.

Image


Ignoring the feeling of someone watching her, October continued walking to class. She didn’t want to go to Chemistry considering she knew what the next week was planned, but she obviously had to. She took a needed deep breath as she took her seat. Just like everyone else, she wanted the day to end so she could sleep. Pulling out her notebook, she felt a sharp pain in her side.

October winced, touching her side gently. Nothing seemed the be the matter, just pain. She barely even noticed Scott taking the seat next to her. She took another deep breath, hoping the pain would just go away. It didn't. It intensified with each passing minute. October thought she was going to pass out. Her body was sweating all over. She quickly took off her leather jacket, but it was still unbearable.

All she wanted to do was peel off her skin. Shortly after, her breathing became labored. Was it the poison? October tied her hair into a messy bun, trying to cool down. But nothing was working.

"Uh, are you okay?" Scott whispered.

October looked to her right. Scott looked concerned for her well-being. From the corner of her eye, she saw Mr. Harris giving the class a lecture. She hadn't even noticed when he started. She gave Scott a stiff nod, forcing a smile.

"Just peachy," She managed to get out.

Soon after that, though, October fell into a coughing fit. She saw some blood land on her tan arm. Once she saw the blood, she stood up. This was not okay. She walked past Mr. Harris and continued out of the room. She didn’t stop when she heard him calling after her. Her side began to throb even more as she jogged to the bathroom.

"Holy fucking Gods," October whispered.

She stared at herself in the mirror. The wounds on her face were slowly oozing blood. The cut along her temple and cheek worried her the most. The blood was black. Quickly, she grabbed towels to wipe her face. As she reached the mirror again, her side burned. October let out a shriek. She lifted her shirt and choked on a sob. It was oozing out a thick black goop. Tears burned at her eyes. Part of my brain thought that this wasn't real, but the other side felt that it had to be.

Without thinking, she touched the open wound. She brought her hand to her face, eyes wandering over the sticky substance. October's breathing became shallow and short. She didn't know what was happening. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a figure. Her eyes snapped over to it and she felt her heart stop.

"It's so nice to see you again, October," His voice was sickening. "I think I want to play with you again."

She watched as he walked towards her. October took a step back, feeling the coolness of the wall hit her back. The man's rough fingers were reaching for her neck. His deep brown eyes held so much hate and anger.

"No," She yelled. "No!"

The mirrors shattered around her, some hitting her exposed skin. The man disappeared as she slid down the wall. Without so much of a warning, Scott came bursting through the doors of the girl's restroom. October stared at him, wide-eyed and mouth opened. Tears still trailed down her face. He gave her a once over before slowly stepping to her.

"Are you sure you're alright?" He asked as he crouched before her. "I, uh, heard screaming."

October nodded slowly. "I think so."

She took a quick glance at her side, a sob escaping her mouth. Instead of being covered in the black blood-like substance, she was clean. It was all in her head. The hunter that was in front of her was just her imagination. Sobs shook her body as Scott watched. He didn't really know what to do. Whenever Allison cried, he'd hold her. But, with October, he had absolutely no idea. He decided to give it a shot, since girls usually enjoyed being held while crying. Right?

"What are you doing?" She asked, wiping her face while being careful of her new cuts.

Scott gave her an awkward laugh. "Um, I don't really know."

The dark-haired girl shook her head and laughed. "This isn't your strong suit. I think you should just take me to the nurse."

Image


"Oh, my God! The girl's crazy!" Stiles rubbed his head roughly. "What is wrong with me and crazy girls?!"

Allison glared at Stiles, causing his hands to go up in mock surrender. "She isn't crazy, Stiles."

"Then how do you even explain that? Was she part of some Opera group in her other high school or something? How do mirrors - mirrors Allison - break like that? Scott said she was acting weird in class, too."

"It doesn't mean she's crazy!" She shook her head. "I'm actually proud of the girl not doing anything worse with what happened with her family."

"We don't know what happened exactly. And, it's not like the queen of quiet is going to say anything," Stiles threw his hands in the air and groaned. "You know, I wish Beacon Hills went back to being boring. It'd mean less grey hairs by the time I'm thirty!"

Scott wasn't listening as they bickered. He did care about what happened today, but that wasn't high on his list of priorities. October was safe and okay. That was all that mattered. His mind went back to earlier to when he left school as soon as whatever happened to October was over. He was failing two damn classes. It wasn't fair. He had to deal with so much shit that school almost didn't even matter. Hell, his mom should feel lucky he even went as much as he did. And, of course, the tablet in Danny's car was missing. It only made his day so much better.

"If Jackson doesn't remember being the kanima, he's definitely not gonna remember stealing Danny's tablet," He turned around, making out the two figures in the dark.

Stiles countered quickly. "Why would he steal the thing if he doesn't even know what's on it?"

"What if someone else took it?" Allison looked between the two boys.

A look of dawning etched on Stiles face. "Then somebody else knows what he is."

Image


"I can't believe you're making me do that stupid guidance counseling," October was fuming. "You don’t believe me. How can you not believe me?"

"Your principal said it would be a good idea, considering what happened with…" James looked away.

"With what happened with Mom, Dad, and Phoebe?"

"I'm sorry, Toby. I do believe you," He whispered, grabbing her soft hand. "I just don't want to attract attention to ourselves by not doing it. You've already got people watching your moves."

"But, I'm not crazy, James." She pulled away. "I might be a witch, but I'm not crazy. I'm not like Aunt Marie. I won't be like her. James… You need to teach me more. I need better control, please."

"I can't!" He looked anywhere but her. "But, I think I know who can."

October looked at her brother. His dark brown hair was sticking in all ends and rubbing his hand wasn't fixing it. She sighed. He was so busy with work that she felt bad for bothering him. But, she needed to control her magic.

"Then who?"

James didn't say anything. He just grabbed a napkin and pen. He wrote down an address and gave the napkin to October.

"Drive there tonight," He said. "He should be able to help you."

She rose a brow. "And, if he doesn't?"

He shook his head. "He will."

October sighed. She couldn't believe James was making her talk to a complete stranger about this. This and the meetings with the counselor. He was the one that was going to go crazy. She gave him one last look before walking away. She didn't want to bother him anymore than she needed to. And, that's how she felt. She felt like a bother, a nuisance. Because she was still alive, he had to take care of her.

The drive was short-lived. She'd hoped it was far, so she had longer to stay away from James. Nothing ever went her way. Her mind wandered back to the restroom incident. She hadn't screamed that loud, had she? How could he have heard her? Then the words from the day before came into her mind. Omega, alpha, pack. Her blood chilled. October shook her head to get rid of the thoughts. But they persisted. He never answered if he went to the restroom to have heard her. There was more to the story than what she was hearing.

The young girl looked at her hands, half covered in gauze. If he hadn't came, though, she might have just sat there the whole day. October groaned before getting out of her Impala. This town was just getting better and better - not. She took a double take at the sign of the building, cursing under her breath.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," October muttered.

Beacon Hills Animal Clinic. Luckily for her, though, it was still open. With a small burst of adrenaline, she walked through the doors and looked around. It was like any other vet's office - clean, too sterile, and cold. October walked to the front desk.

"Hello?" She called out. "Uh, my brother said to come to you."

A dark-skinned bald man came from the back room, giving her a small smile. His eyes were calculating her, trying to figure if she was a threat or not. After a moment or two, he let out a laugh.

"It's been a long time, October Hallowell," He spoke with a higher power. "You've grown into a beautiful young woman."

"Do I know you?" She asked, beginning to feel uncomfortable.

He nodded. "Alan or Dr. Deaton, whichever you prefer. Your father would come to me to seek counsel. Sometimes, he'd even bring you. The animals absolutely loved you."

October tried thinking back to her younger years for this man, but she had no such luck. She didn't remember ever coming to this animal clinic with her dad. For all she knew, as a kid her dad resented her.

"I don't remember," She said, quietly.

If he was upset, he didn't show it. "It's okay, Toby. You still like to be called Toby, correct?"

"Yes."

"What was it that you needed?"

October ran a hand through her hair. "You know about my family, right? What we are? I need help with controlling my magic."

Dr. Deaton scratched his neck and then nodded. He pushed forward the swinging door to let October into the back room. Again, she looked around the room. A steel table for examinations was in the center of the room, a few chairs were scattered around the room.

"James sent you, I presume. Have you done meditation exercises" Dr. Deaton asked.

October shook her head. "Yeah, he did. Um, no. It's boring."

He chuckled. "It may be boring, but it will help you in the long run. It will help you with patience."

And, that's how it started. He helped teach her the different types of meditation. She figured that the one she liked the most was spiritual meditation. It would help her work with her Gods in a more hands on way instead of prayer. Dr. Deaton told her that she didn't even have to sit to meditate, that she could meditate while laying down. All she had to do was get comfortable. They hadn't realized how late they stayed meditating until James called at ten past midnight.

"Toby," Dr. Deaton called after her. "Be careful."

October nodded. "Yeah, you too! Thanks again! I'll be back when I can"

He stared after the young woman, a sense of apprehension filled his gut. He wanted nothing more than to shelter her from the world they lived in. But soon enough, he knew, she'll be dragged into something horrible - something that would change her life forever.

Image


October made her way to the library, feeling the need to get her hands on a new book - that and to find a good place to meditate without being bothered. Since the other night, she'd been meditating on and off. She found it easier to meditate in the shower, letting the water roll off her shoulders like her problems. Watching as they washed down the drain. It was easy to imagine it that way. She even felt healthier.

"I am part of an online gaming community that battles mythical creatures." She overheard Stiles talking.

"O-oh. Great." Allison stuttered.

October stood behind the shelf behind Stiles and Scott. She watched them indiscreetly, through the books. Just what in the world could they be talking about?

"Okay, does it say how to find out who's controlling him?" Scott asked.

"Not really. But Stiles was right about the murderers," Allison said.

Murders? October knew there was a psycho running around, but what did they mean by someone controlling him?

"Yes!" Stiles exclaimed.

She jumped at the sudden outburst. Scott turned his head around, but she quickly ducked down. She really hoped he didn't see her. Eavesdropping wasn't going as well as she had hoped.

"It calls the kanima a weapon of vengeance. There's a story in there about this South American priest who uses the kanima to execute murderers in his village–" Allison was cut off.

"All right, see? So maybe it's not all that bad."

"Until the bond grew strong enough that it killed whoever he wanted it to."

"Hey," October nearly jumped out of her skin at the sound of Danny's voice in her ear. "What are you doing down here?"

"Counting dust bunnies?" She gave him a weak smile.

"Really?" He rose a brow. "Get up. I need your help."

October shook her head. "Ah, no. I mean, I'm a really sucky person. I can't really - Oh, okay."

Danny pulled her up and pulled her out of the library. She turned her head to see Scott, Allison and Stiles staring after her. Her eyes widened slightly. Hopefully, they hadn't realized she was listening to what they were saying. It wouldn't matter anyway. It hadn't made any sense. Not even a little.

"Wait, what did you even need, Danny?" October asked when they finally stopped walking.

"Wha- oh, yeah," Danny let out a nervous chuckle. "There's this underground rave Saturday night. I need someone to come with me."

"Why not ask Jackson?"

"If you haven't noticed, he's been a bit more distant lately," He crossed his arms over his chest. "Are you going to come with me or not?"

October pulled at the strap of her purse. "How much are the tickets?"

She really liked Danny. He was funny and she knew he'd never look at her a certain way. He also seemed to actually care for her. She was so thankful for that. She also knew she wasn't too keen on opening up to people, so she felt a little special.

"For you? You don't have to pay," Danny beamed down at her. "Just say you'll come and I'll pick you up."

"N-no!" She shook her head. "You don't have to pay for it. I'll get the money."

"Toby, you're going to help get me laid. You're my new wing-man."

"I, uh, oh."

"Great! I'll pick you up at 10 Saturday night." He walked the other direction, leaving October confused as to what actually happened.

She walked around the halls alone, not sure how to explain to James what she'd be doing this weekend. He'd be happy to hear she made a friend, but upset she'd be going to a rave. There really was no winning in this situation. October took a left and walked down the hall near the boy's locker room. She noticed Erica and Stiles staring at the ground. At a closer inspection, water pooled the floor - it was coming from the locker room.

"Um, what's tha-" She was cut off by Scott being thrown out the door.

Her eyes widened as Jackson came rushing forward, trying to punch Scott.

"Scott, Scott, Scott! Guys!" Stiles yelled.

But, Erica wasn't having any of that. She grabbed Jackson roughly and held him back. October thought about walking away, but this was just too good. Allison stepped out of the boy's locker room, wide-eyed. October saw Matt pick up a tablet, looking around before messing with it. She watched him from the corner of her eye.

"What the hell's going on? Hey! Enough! Enough. What do you idiots think you're doing? Jackson! Calm down! Mr. McCall, you wanna explain yourself? Stilinski!" Mr. Harris's voice caused everyone to quiet down.

"You dropped this." Matt passed it to Allison.

Mr. Harris began pointing. "You and you– actually– all of you– Detention. Three o'clock."

Everyone stared at him, completely confused. October seemed to have a death wish because she decided to speak back.

"Yo, yeah," She glared at him. "I can't go to detention. I have counseling after school."

"Yeah, well," He narrowed his eyes also. "I don't care. Go to the detention or you'll be suspended."

October felt her right eye twitch as he turned on his heels. Her hands curled into fists. Normally, she didn't curse people - even if they totally deserved it. But, now, when she got home, Mr. Harris was going to be her first victim. She glanced at the six people around her before shaking her head and rolling her eyes. She was surrounded by idiots.
♠ ♠ ♠
I actually won't be home at all tomorrow, so I'm giving you guys an early chapter. But, after today, I will continue updating every Saturday at 12:30 p.m. PST. I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. :) Ah, I'm loving with how it's going so far, actually. I love you guys that subscribed!