Sequel: House of Wolves
Status: Updates every Saturday @12 p.m. PST

Season of the Witch

"She's still a human-being."

October exited her bathroom, robe tight against her body. She reached her bed and looked over the dress for the millionth time. She adored the dress, but she was afraid she wouldn't be able to pull it off. The other girls seemed to be able to make anything look good. It was upsetting to even think about.

"That's a nice dress."

The young girl turned on her heels, fist ready to collide into whomever it was. Isaac caught the punch with his hand and laughed. October pulled her hand back and pouted.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" October put the dress down neatly. "I could have walked out of there naked."

The boy laid himself over her bed and smirked. "I wouldn't have minded."

"Well, I would have. You didn't answer my question."

"I think I was going to tell you to be careful tonight. It's a full moon."

"Coming from the one that's going to be turning in a few short hours. I'll be fine."

Isaac rubbed his eyes with the heel of his palms. "It's not just us out there. You have to be careful at the party. I don't know if Jackson will be there or not. I don't know if Scott can save you in time."

"I'm a big girl, Lahey," October sat on the edge of her bed. "I don't think he's coming anyway."

He groaned before he stood. "Any time you're around one of us, you end up getting hurt, Toby. You still have scrapes on your face and arms."

He was right. Dr. Deaton told her to be careful with using her enchanted ring, so she hadn't put it on. She was afraid they'd figure out what she was and never look at her the same. October knew she shouldn't feel that way because of what they were and what they knew. She just didn’t want to be the oddball. Stiles was human, which was normal. Isaac and the others were werewolves - it isn't normal, but they had a pack, which made it a bit normal. And, October was just a witch.

"If he does end up coming, I'll steer clear," She picked at her nails. "I promise."

That answer seemed to satisfy him. He crouched in front of her and gave her his trademark smirk. Isaac took her hand in his and laced their fingers together.

He began to speak quietly. "I never fully realized how fragile life was before I was… bitten. My mom died a long time ago and my dad… My dad shouldn't deserve space to occupy my mind, but he's there. Well, the man he was before everything happened."

"Are you trying to say you care?" She asked.

"I'm trying to say: I don't want to have to bury another person."

With that, he left. October didn't remember how he left - whether it be the front door or the window. She didn't really care. So long as Isaac made it back to Derek before the full moon reached its peak. She sat on her bed for another half-hour. Part of her didn't want to go to Lydia's party, but the girl was never going to let her live it down. Ever.

"Well, then," October muttered.

She took her time putting on the dress and heels. She still wasn't sure why she even agreed to wear the evil things. October looked herself over in the mirror and made a face. Normally she just wore mascara for makeup, but as everyone knows, Lydia would be most like to kill her. As quickly as she could, October lined her eyes with eyeliner and applied a deep shade of red lipstick to her lips.

October grumbled to herself. "It's better than nothing."

Image


October looked around, feeling a bit confused. There seemed to be no one here. Her heels clicked loudly against the pavement. It was eerily quiet. Goosebumps formed on her legs and arms. She rubbed her arms self-consciously. From the other side of the street, she could hear Stiles' Jeep. October chuckled. The boy was hopelessly in love. She rang the doorbell and waited for Lydia to open the door. It didn’t take that long for her to come.

"I knew that dress would look good on you," She grinned. "Makeup is a little… okay, it's not that great, but just for tonight I'll let that slide."

October stepped inside. "Where should I put your present?"

She lifted up the gift wrapped item and smiled. She smiled when Lydia beamed. October gave the girl a sketchbook. She noticed, while in class, that Lydia enjoyed doodling. With the sketchbook, she'd be able to keep her things instead of turn them in with her work.

"Thanks, Toby," Lydia set the gift on an empty table. "But, you really didn't have to."

"I know I didn’t," October shrugged. "I wanted to."

She was surprised when Lydia hugged her. It was completely out of character for her to do that. October hugged her back, not sure if she should be concerned. When they pulled away, Lydia looked close to tears.

"I-I'm sorry," She shook her hands. "I'm so sorry."

October didn't understand. She opened her mouth to speak, but the doorbell rang. Lydia took in a deep breath before grabbing the tray of drinks and opening the door. Stiles was breathing heavy, holding onto a huge box. Lydia looked at October wide-eyed.

"Happy Birthday! Yeah! Coming in. Oh, whoa. Can't. Okay." Stiles huffed. "You know, you don't– can you just grab that side, maybe?"

"Don't forget to try the punch." Lydia shook her head and walked away.

October tried not to laugh when he finally got through the door, falling on his way. She walked to him and held out her hand. He took it and gave her a goofy smile. Scott came in not too long after. She excused herself, having a feeling Scott wanted Stiles all to himself.

"Drink up!" Lydia passed her a drink.

"Not yet," October took the cup anyway. "Do you need help making more of this?"

"No!" Lydia cleared her throat. "No. Uh, I'm fine. There's still a lot on the table."

October nodded and walked away. She took a sip of her drink and nearly spit it out. There was something else other than alcohol in the punch. She glanced over at Lydia. She was looking around, as if expecting to see a hoard of people in her backyard.

"Hey," Allison scratched the back of her neck. "Come on, I have to tell the guys something."

October nodded and finished the rest of her drink. She followed behind Allison. Stiles and Scott had stepped outside and looked around.

"Uh, Jackson's not here," She looked anywhere but Scott.

Stiles looked around. "Yeah, no one's here."

"Maybe it's just early," Scott tried reasoning.

"Or maybe nobody's coming because Lydia's turned into the town whackjob."

October smacked the side of his head. He sucked on his teeth and glared at her. She shrugged, brows knitting together.

"And you wonder why you've stayed single for so long, idiot," She pointed at Lydia. "She may not have won Best Person of the Year award, but she's still a human-being."

Allison nodded. "Well, we have to do something, because we've completely ignored her for the past two weeks."

"She's completely ignored Stiles the past ten years," Scott countered.

"I prefer to think of it as me not having been on her radar yet," Stiles shrugged and tried to smile, but it came off as a grimace.

Scott shook his head and looked Allison straight in the eyes. "We don't owe her a party."

October felt like she was going to explode. She flicked the tip of his nose and glared. He glared right back. Stiles had his eyes wide open, staring between the two.

"Bad wolf," She massaged the bridge of her nose. "It doesn't matter if you owe her or not, you dumbass. I just… Wow."

Allison sighed. "What about the chance to get back to normal?"

"Normal?" Scott looked like he wanted to laugh.

"She wouldn't be the town whackjob if it wasn't for us."

"I guess I could use my co–captain status to get the lacrosse team here."

Stiles nodded eagerly. "Yeah, I also know some people who can get this thing going. Like, really going."

The other three teenagers looked at him, confused. Stiles knew other people?

"Who?" Allison was the brave one to ask.

"I met them the other night." Stiles said. "Let's just say they know how to party."

Everyone went their own ways, leaving October to walk around Lydia's backyard. The pool was lit. October found her way to Lydia. She looked like a lost puppy, unsure as to why no one was there yet.

"They'll come," She smiled.

Lydia scoffed. "Of course they will. It's the biggest party of the year."

She passed October another cup, moving her brows suggestively. October rolled her eyes, but took it anyway. She hoped more people came for Lydia. It was downright sad to see her puppy-dog eyes and her pouting. From inside, the doorbell rang. Lydia's eyes lit up and she ran as fast as she could with heels on.

Image


October couldn't believe how many people came. It was more than a full house. At least, she knew Lydia was happy. October grabbed another glass - it was about her sixth one of the night. She felt her world shift when she downed the punch. She giggled when she almost tripped over herself. Someone helped straighten her out. Looking over, Jackson's face was closer than it should be.

"Thanks," She said as she walked away.

Definitely not drinking anymore tonight. October walked away from the party, feeling too claustrophobic. She went past the iron gate door and walked down a narrow path. The moon was full and bright. She felt a smile touch her lips. She felt great - no, she felt wonderful.

"Look at her," A deep voice caused her to stop walking. "I don't know whether we should kill her now or just fuck with her."

Another voice joined the other. "I say, we ruin her and then gut her."

A gust of cold wind made October shudder. She looked around, seeing no one. Walking slowly, she felt people watching her. She should just turn back around and return to the party. But when she turned around, she was farther than she expected. The trees loomed over her, casting dark and strange shadows.

"The little witch need some help?" A woman's voice rang out. "Kill her and be done with it."

October leaned against a tree and slid down, her bottom touching the cold, dewy ground. She stared at the floor in front of her, scared for her life. It was going to happen again. They found her. They found her and this time they were going to stay to make sure she was dead. Tears feel from her eyes as she tried not to be loud. She didn't want them to hear her.

A figure squatted in front of her. He sneered at her and grabbed her face roughly. October closed her eyes tightly and tried to shake his hands off.

"You stupid little bitch," His voice was gravelly. "You're a witch and you can't even protect yourself? What are you - four?"

Image


"Hey, I can't find her. And, dude, anyone who drank that crap, they're freaking out." Stiles glanced at the crowd.

"I can see that." Scott stared wide-eyed at the crowd. "Where's Toby? Have you seen her?"

Stiles shook his head, pacing. "No, not since everyone came. What the hell do we do?"

"I don't know, but we gotta–"

"I can't swim! No, no, no, no, stop, guys! I can't swim! I can't swim! I can't– I can't–" Matt was thrown into the pool.

Scott and Stiles watched as the scene unfolded. Matt was underwater and Jackson came out of nowhere to scoop him out.

"What are you looking at?" Matt asked.

He stepped away, soon realizing Scott and Stiles were staring at him. He sent them a glare before continuing on his way out. Scott stared after him, not really believing it.

Someone yelled. "The cops are here. Party's over!"

Scott ran to the front of the house, seeing cop cars everywhere. He scanned the whole perimeter, eyes stopping on Matt. Matt was fuming, eyes set hard. No one seemed to noticed him or the kanima that was curled at his feet. It was ready to pounce. Scott's eyes widened. And then he was gone. Both Matt and Jackson.

A scream tore through the night, breaking Scott out of his momentarily daze. It wasn't a I don't want to get into any trouble scream. It was more like a scream for help. Scott dashed into the woods area. He could hear crying and someone repeatedly saying stop. It sounded like Toby.

Scott came up short when he saw her lying there, half naked. One of her heels was thrown a few feet from her. He couldn't see her face, but he could she was shaking.

"Toby," Scott whispered. "Toby, are… are you okay?"

He shook his head, cursing under his breath. That was probably the most stupidest thing to have asked. She obviously wasn't okay. Scott took off his blazer and covered her with it. October sat up and moved a few inches away from him. Her makeup was all over her face, mascara dripping from her lashes. She pushed her arms through the sleeves of the blazer and choked on a sob.

Scott cleared his throat and grabbed her dress. She took it from his hands quickly. He watched as she scrunched her face and threw the dress back on the ground.

"I-it's ripped," She sobbed.

Scott put a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, hey. It's alright."

But part of him knew that it wasn't. He didn't know if he wanted to reassure October or himself more. Scott didn't know what to do. He waited while she cried it all out. He didn't have the courage to tell her to get up or the courage to tell her who it was behind this whole mess.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah. So, sadly, a few days ago I was mugged and I had a few notes on my ipod for the next few chapters on it. And, now, I'm going to have to go on a whim when I continue writing. :( I hope you guys liked this chapter though!