Sequel: House of Wolves
Status: Updates every Saturday @12 p.m. PST

Season of the Witch

"Don't go. Please. I can't be in here alone."

October came back to it while in the hospital. The lights were bright and hurt her eyes. She kept them closed. Her head was pounding too much to let her go back to sleep. The whole left side of her face felt like someone had used a sludge hammer to beat her with. A snore caught the girl's attention. Slowly, she opened her eyes to see a full head of curls near her hand.

She smiled when she realized her hand was in his. It was weird to say the least. She barely knew the boy and here he was, next to her hospital bed. October didn't know what to tell her brother, though the cops probably gave him some big bogus lie. She just had to go along with it. Isaac yawned as he sat straight up and used his free hand to rub his head.

"I, uh," He stuttered when he realized she was up, he let go of her hand. "I told you not to get yourself into trouble."

October tried to shrugged, but winced instead. "It's not that bad."

"The left side of your face is literally black and blue, Toby. How is that not bad? And, you come in wearing Stiles' clothes."

"I'm alive, aren't I?"

Isaac shook his head and exhaled deeply. He wasn't happy with her near death experience. It wasn't that bad. It wasn't like she was permanently damaged. Everything that was inflicted on her body was temporary.

"What happened to Matt?" October asked.

He licked his lips. "They found him in the stream not too far from the department."

"He's… dead? And, what about Jackson?"

"Yeah, dead. Uh, they couldn't find him."

October felt relieved. Her shoulders didn't feel so heavy anymore. Without a master, what would Jackson do? She tensed again. Would he start killing on his own? That made her mind race with questions. Would they be able to ever save him? How could they if they didn't know what caused him to be that way to begin with? October sighed, not wanting to think anymore.

"Scott told us what happened to you," Isaac started slow, picking his words carefully. "What happened exactly?"

October tried to get into a comfortable position. "I don't know. It had something to do with the drink, I know that. I saw… something."

"What did you see?"

"I don't know, Isaac!"

"He found you on the ground, nearly naked," He shot back. "How do you even begin to explain that?"

She shook her head. Her heart monitor was beeping faster than it had before. October tried to calm herself down, but she couldn't. Her heart continued to race, her breathing was erratic. Isaac stood up and gently grabbed her face. She stared up at him through tears. His blue eyes caught her green ones. She felt her body relax.

"I-I'm sorry," She whispered. "I just… I don't want to talk about it."

He nodded. "Okay, okay. I won't force you to it. You should sleep."

"But, I just woke up," She joked.

"Just sleep, October."

He removed his face from her face. He turned around, leaving. But, October didn't want him to go. Her hand shot out and grabbed his. He glanced at her, confused.

"Don't go," She begged. "Please. I can't be in here alone."

Image


"I'm not mad at you," Dr. Deaton spoke calmly.

October wasn't sure if he was talking to her or to the dog. Either way, she was nervous. The hospital released her Tuesday morning two weeks ago, but she hasn't come by to him since she left. It was Friday now. She neglected her magic studies because she was too afraid to leave her house at night. The hospital even took out her stitches.

Scott was in the room as well, looking confused. He didn't know what to say. He continued to mess with the tools across the room. Dr. Deaton began to fill a needle with ketamine. He gave October a sidelong glance, saying they were going to speak after Scott left. They all heard a jingle from the door being open.

Dr. Deaton looked at Scott. "Would you mind seeing who that is?"

Scott nodded and placed the tools down. Before he left, the animals started to make a racket. October's heart pounded. Scott and Dr. Deaton looked at each other, eyes set hard. Dr. Deaton put the needle down and followed Scott out. October took a deep breath in before doing the same. She sighed out in relief when she saw it was Isaac. He looked up, hands in pockets.

"It's okay, Isaac. We're open." Dr. Deaton said.

He walked up to the swinging door and opened it for the boy. Isaac looked uncertain, but he walked inside. Once he was close enough, he wrapped his arms around October. Her heart skipped a beat. She found her arms around him, still baffled at the fact that he'd hugged her.

"Um," October scratched the back of her neck when he let go. "It's nice to see you, too. But?"

Isaac looked like a deer caught by headlights. "W-well, I-I went to your place. You w-weren't there, and I was thinking of what could have happened. I kind of, uh, followed your scent."

She smiled and walked back to the examination table. October sat in a seat across from the dog. Sadly, she knew it was dying. And, she knew that it knew as well. She scratched the back of its ear - green eyes turning dull. She wished she was able to take the pain away, but she hadn't found a good spell for these types of things. The dog gave October sad eyes.

"Why does it smell like that?" Isaac asked, looking at the two men. "What?"

"He's dying," October whispered.

Dr. Deaton went into better detail. "Scott said almost the same thing to me a few months ago. One day he could, somehow, tell the difference between which animals were getting better and which were not."

"He's not getting better, is he?" Isaac looked the dog over. "Like cancer."

"Osteosarcoma. It has a very distinct scent, doesn't it? Come here. I know you're well aware of what your new abilities can do for you. Improved strength, speed, and healing. You ever wonder what it could do for others?" Dr. Deaton held his hand out. "Give me your hand. Go on."

He placed Isaac's hand on the dog. Isaac looked as unsure as October felt. She never saw this before, or even heard of it. But, she watched in awe as Isaac's veins turned black for a short moment. He took back his hand, almost shocked.

"What did I do?" He asked.

Scott answered. "You took some of his pain away."

"Only a little bit. But sometimes a little can make quite a difference," Dr. Deaton smiled at Isaac.

"It's okay," Scott assured Isaac. "First time he showed me, I cried too."

Isaac looked down, wiping the tears from his face. October smiled. He smiled and laughed. She liked the fact that Dr. Deaton had shown the boys that. It meant that they could try and help someone who needed it. Isaac looked so happy because of it. Her fingers brushed against her bruised cheek. It didn't hurt anymore. It wasn't even purple anymore. It was turning that sickly green and yellow. She really wish she had worn her ring today. It could have healed her bruise by now.

"Are you excited for the game tonight, Scott?" October asked.

He shrugged. "Uh, no. I don't think I'll be going tonight."

"What do you mean you're not going? Is Stiles going to play?"

"I won't answer that or that."

October snorted and swiveled in her chair. He still didn't seem to full trust her, but she didn't care. If he had a reason, then he had a reason. Scott began to put away the supplies in a cabinet. She was definitely going to go to the game - Lydia was forcing her to go. There were no questions allowed when it came to the strawberry-blonde and her needs.

"They're leaving tonight, during the game," Isaac turned to look at Scott.

Scott shut the cabinet. "So, why are you telling me?"

October rolled her eyes. He liked to pretend he didn't care about the pack, but in all honesty he did - not in so much words. But, he'd be there for them no matter what.

"I'm not telling you. I'm asking you," Isaac placed his hands in his pockets. "I'm asking for your advice."

"From me? Why?"

"Because I trust you."

"Why?"

October stood up and shook her head. She couldn’t stand being in the same room with Scott trying to ask questions that didn't really pertain to the problem at hand. Erica and Boyd were leaving to find another pack. It smelled fishy to her. Why would they come out now? October missed most of the conversation while she paced mulling everything over.

"Yeah. He's playing," Isaac was in the doorway.

October stopped her pacing and looked at the boys. "Who's playing?"

"Toby, I don't want you to come to the game. You need to stay home." Scott grabbed her by her shoulders, roughly.

She looked up at him, wide-eyed. "You're scaring me. Who's playin- Is it Jackson? It is, isn't it?"

He dropped his hands. "I'm sorry, but you can't come tonight."

"Like hell I won't," She glared at him. "Have you ever tried getting out of Lydia's bitch fits? It's hard work. And, Stiles is making me run errands with her because he wants to get it in. Lydia's literally forcing me to go because Allison isn't coming. I'll be fine, Scott. They won't do anything at a game. Not in front of so many people. Would they?"

Image


"Oh, no," Sheriff Stilinski groaned. "Why is my son running out to the field?"

Melissa looked at the man, confused. "Because he's on the team?"

"He is."

"Yes, Mr. Stilinski," October laughed. "He's actually playing tonight."

"He's on the team. He's– he's on the field," The man stood up and yelled. "My son is on the field!"

She could see Stiles shaking. October had never been to a lacrosse game before, she didn't really know what to expect. Lydia saw October and made her way to the dark-haired girl.

"Hey," She smiled. "This should be a fun game."

October snorted. "I'll say, Stiles is playing."

The strawberry-blonde looked across the field. Her eyes hit Stiles and then maneuvered over to Jackson. Lydia cleared her throat. October watched her as she rubbed her hands over her thighs.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

Lydia stopped. "Y-yeah. Why?"

October shook her head. "Nothing. No reason, just wondering."

The game had started off roughly. Beacon Hills had zero points while the other school had two. October felt her heart jump into her throat when Stiles caught the ball. He took too much time being excited, someone had tackled him to the floor. October shook her head.

"He's probably just warming up," Melissa tried convincing everyone.

Stiles ran to the ball that hit the ground and tried picking it up with the stick. He was tackled again, this time by two big players. October dropped her head into her hands.

"Oh, he's just a little nervous. Plenty of time to turn it around," Lydia sounded nervous.

The crowd booed all around the four when the ball hit Stiles' helmet and bounced off him. October chewed on her thumbnail. The boy couldn't seem to play to save his life. October had a feeling that if none of this turned around soon, she'd have to take matters into her own hands. She didn't want to do it. She didn't want Stiles to think that he was actually able to play, but if worse comes to worse…

October looked down to see Scott sitting on the benches. She now knew why they were getting their asses kicked. Because they didn't have a werewolf to play on the field, the Gods thought it would be funny to make them lose. It probably wasn't the reason why. It was probably because Stiles was out on the field, but October liked to think that the Gods had something to do with it.

"Why isn't Scott playing?" October asked, not taking her eyes off said boy.

Melissa answered. "Because he's failing three of his classes."

"But, it's championships."

The older woman didn't answer. October massaged the bridge of her nose. This was stupid. The coach was stupid and she seriously wanted to put him in his place. But, of course, he must know what he's doing if he's still the coach. October sat up when she saw Isaac in the lacrosse uniform. He gave her a smile and a slight wave. She smiled back and laughed.

Lydia jabbed her elbows into October's ribs. "Get. It. In."

October rolled her eyes. "Is there anything else you think about?"

"Hm," She thought about it for a moment. "Yes, but mostly that."

October laughed and shook her head. This girl was probably the most weirdest one out of everyone she's met - save for Stiles. He had a category of his own. Isaac put on his helmet and stepped onto the field. He paused for a moment to look at Jackson before continuing onto his position. The game resumed. Right as someone from Beacon Hills got the ball, Isaac took them to the ground.

October's brow rose. "I don't think this is how you play the game."

Lydia shook her head. "Not even close."

October watched as Isaac tackled almost everyone in the Beacon Hills team. Just what in the world was he doing? She glanced at Scott. He was getting jumpy, waiting to be put on the field. So, that's it. Isaac was hurting his own team to get on the field. But, for what? Jackson.

Isaac tackled someone down, but they weren't hurt that bad. They stayed on the field. Jackson hit Isaac, though. She watched in horror as he hit the ground, unmoving. Scott got on his feet, eyes wide open. He ran onto the field and kneeled next to Isaac. October wished she was able to do that. She wanted to know what the hell was happening.

"Hey, hey," Lydia soothed. "It's okay. He'll be okay."

October hadn't realized she grabbed Lydia's hand. "I'm sorry. What the hell is happening down there?"

Melissa ran off the bleachers and to the field. She grabbed onto her son's arm. October couldn't hear what was being said - it was too loud for the spell to work with accuracy. Lydia squeezed her hand. The game kept going. October's knee was bouncing. She wanted it to be over. She wanted to see if Isaac was okay. She and Lydia both stood up simultaneously when they saw Stiles get the ball and hit the ground.

Scott ran off the field, no one really paying much attention to him. They were too busy stringing out a hoard of curse-words. The game was close now seven to nine. Coach stood up, looking around.

"McCall!" He yelled. "Where's McCall?"

The ball rolled near Stiles' feet. He looked up and then back down to the ball. Everyone on the field couldn't find the ball, giving Stiles a chance to pick it up. He first started running backwards, and then turned running full speed to the other team's goal. Lydia looked at October. Both girls' eyes wide, mouth slightly open. October could hear Stiles' scream. He really was freaking out.

"Ah, crap," Sheriff Stilinski was hunched over, shaking his head.

Stiles made it near the goal. He looked around, as if not sure what to do next. The coach was yelling at him, but it made no difference.

"Shoot it!" Lydia screamed.

That must have gotten through to him, because he threw the ball. He actually made it. Stiles actually made a goal. October screamed out his name and threw her hands in the air. Lydia and October clapped and hugged each other - proud of their loser. Even Sheriff Stilinski stood up and yelled for his son.

Stiles yelled. "I scored a goal!"

His arms in the air, adrenaline in his blood. October beamed. For the next part of the game, Stiles had a new surge of confidence. He caught nearly every ball and scored. Lydia was jumping up and down, excited for him. Her screams were beginning to hurt October's ears, but she didn't care. Stiles was actually going to win the game for the school.

"Oh, my god," Lydia clapped, breathless.

Everyone jumped in the air when the last buzzer sounded. They won the championship. Beacon Hills won because of Stiles.

"Yeah!" Lydia was jumping up and down, screaming.

Then, all the lights turned off - one by one. Lydia grabbed October's hand tightly. October looked around, unable to see anything. She felt her heart freeze. What was happening? Gerard was actually going to do something here? Now? Was he mad?

Everyone was running and screaming. The only people who stayed put was Lydia and October. They stayed seated on the bleachers. Lydia had tears streaming down her face. October just sat there, not wanting to move. She was afraid if she did move, someone was going to snatch her and take her somewhere she didn't want to know.

Scott came in her line of view. "Toby, get up! Come on."

She shook her head. She didn't want to move. What was so hard about that? Scott groaned and ran toward the group of people, only to be stopped by his mother. The lights turned back on. Lydia got onto her feet, letting go of October's hand. She ran off to the group of people. October sighed deeply before following.

"Jackson? What's happened to Jackson? Jackson! Jackson! Jackson, what's happening?" Lydia pushed her way through.

Everyone she pushed by gave her dirty looks. She didn't care, though. She had to see what was happening. She had to know the details. October came up short when she saw Jackson on the ground. Was this the plan? Did Gerard plan for this to happen? She tuned almost everyone out. She needed to figure something out.

"Oh, my God. There's blood," Lydia took deep breaths in and out. "There's blood."

October hadn't realized when Scott or Isaac came to stand next to her. She looked at the boys, sick to her stomach.

"Look," Scott pointed down to Jackson's hand.

"He did it to himself," Isaac said.

October looked at the crowd, dread filling her stomach. "Guys, where's Stiles?"