Status: On-going series of chapters that will result in a completed novel of some sort.

Breath of the Midnight Reaper

Chapter I: It Is What It Is

The way he looked at me when he walked into the…room, threw me completely off of the notes I was supposed to be writing down. Who could be so perfect? His hair was dark brown and slightly tousled. His skin was pale and flawless and his eyes, a magnificent green that was impossible to match to any tree. Not these days anyway. He handed Mr Jennings a small piece of folded paper and sat down.
“Harriet?” Mr Jennings broke me out of my staring contest with the back of the boy’s head, two seats in front of me. Who was he anyway?
“Sorry what?”
“Which knife should you use to kill a vampire?” I stared at him blankly, blinking. “Well?”
“Um the sharpest one?” Oh gosh it was the boy with pale skin’s first day and my first impression couldn’t be worse. Mr Jennings rolled his eyes and tapped the board where the word gladius was clearly written under the heading ‘To Kill A Vampire’. I hated Latin and didn’t understand why we had to use it when clearly, none of us spoke it or bothered to learn it. Sword was still sword; no matter how many times Jennings wrote gladius on the board.
The lesson continued to drag on, but it was more of a blur than anything. You’d think that after surviving the end of the world, the last thing the leftover population would be worried about is education. Finally, Jennings closed the torn book on the desk in front of him and dismissed the class. Everybody left quickly in order to get back to their living quarters and change before P.E. That’s right even after the world ended, the government (what’s left of it) insisted it become part of the new curriculum. The difference between this type of P.E. and the one you know of is that in our P.E, you use knives and learn to fight.
I procrastinated in packing my lecture pad and pen in my bag as Mr Jennings spoke to the new boy.
“Where did you say you were from?” Jennings questioned suspiciously.
“The Falls.” The boy replied smoothly. He sounded like no one could mess with him. I zipped up my small satchel and started out the room but before I reached the door a firm grip on my upper arm stopped me.
“Ow!” I yelped as I whirled around to see the boy, with an evil look in his eye, staring at me. “What?” I snapped angrily. He might be good-looking but no one has the right to hurt me like that.
“Leave me alone.” He snapped back and let go of my arm before walking out of the derelict room. I heard the front door of the old house bang closed and I blinked a couple of times before glancing around the room. Mr Jennings seemed not to have noticed what had happened and continued packing away his chalk and pens.
I shook my head and left the room. What just happened?