Val Martello: Italy's Hidden Valley

Val Martello - Italy's Hidden Valley

At dawn we set off on the 5 hour drive to the Val Martello- nicknamed 'Valley of Strawberries'- in the National Park of the Stelvio. The car was full. Men in front, vrouws at the back. My efforts to fall asleep were in vain, for the devilish cries of Anna resonated throughout the car. Fortunately upon arrival the fallen angel was dormant. We were wonderfully welcomed by the owner and caterers of the 3-Star, Waldheim Hotel, with a chalice of fresh strawberries. Typical for most Alpine accommodations, it is family run. For the first night in many, I slept for over 5 hours. I was grateful that altitude mollified temperatures during the night.

On day one, we discovered the 1800 meter high, Lake Gioveretto and it's Savior, the Dam. We pioneered along it's circumference whilst keeping an open eye for strawberries. We did find strawberries, but alas they were minuscule and thus unsatisfactory. After I was given the usual stream of rich information about dams from Nonno, we left. An extraordinary fact I will never forget is that the Dam- used to produce hydroelectric power- supplies energy 347 kilometers away to Milan. At Waldheim I treated myself to a hydro foot massage and I relieved my pores in the steam room, but to my disappointment, there was no pool. Subsequently, I had a shower and headed to the 18:45, dinner. To my surprise, I ended up leaving the dinning room at 21:00 with an almost ruptured stomach. In order to have decent nights sleep I circulated the hotel's car park with Nonni for nearly fifteen minutes. Luckily I was able to enjoy some sleep. For many nights I had dreams which would scare even the bravest of men, but not I. Nonni say it happens if one goes to bed with a full stomach

While at the Waldheim Hotel, I partook in various activities, including animal seeing, which was splendid. I managed to see- with binoculars - several marmots, stags and deer, but unfortunately I was unable spot the majestic bearded-vulture, which was recently re-introduced into the wild. As I adventured far and high, Anna struggled to move her chubby body around the Lake Gioveretto. In her frustration she threw countless infernal tantrums only to be resolved by locking her in the pram, where she would fall asleep. There was a family of Belgians at the hotel, which I, Anna and Brunus were acquainted with. They were equipped with 3 daughters, ranging from four to seven. I must say, if Anna turns out to be as well behaved as them she will undoubtedly gain my sincerest congratulations.

On the Second Day of August, we moved from Waldheim to Bergfrieden and instead of waiting at the augberge to check in, Nonno proposed a visit to Glorenza, which is the smallest medieval town in Europe. Once again Nonno infected me with his vast array of knowledge. Anna, Bea and Brunus tagged along and as usual Anna produced a demon-scream which was attempting to posses me and turn me into 'one of them'. Bergfrieden is a 3.5-Star Hotel. Compared to Waldheim it has a greater capacity and a swimming pool, but besides that they were just as good. Having a greater capacity does have its benefits. It meant that there was a greater chance of there being adolescent beings. I met tall, brunette German girl and a pair of male, German twins. I conversed mainly with the latter, because I ended up going on two expeditions with them and their skilled grandparents. One involved going up 900 meters to the Gioveretto Summit. They spoke decent english and so I learnt a bit about the German culture, but I was alarmed by the fact I heard Hitler being mentioned three times. Our friendship lasted little, for after I beat them at a German card game said 'It seems we don't just win wars'.

The most thrilling experience of the holiday was my courageous endeavor to reach the Cevedale Glacier. There were clear skies and a scorching sun, the plan was to reach the Martell Refuge- at a height of 2625 meters -with Brunus. Lamentably, after reaching the first check point, which was two hours away from the refuge, Brunus had a breakdown. In good faith he handed me the baton to go all the way. I labored up the formidable mountain and on arrival I learnt I had done it in 50 minutes. Knowing Brunus expected me back in three hours, I pioneered towards the glacier. At such heights the radiation levels are colossal, but I kept at it. I was confronted by a deadly river and my only means of crossing it was by travelling across a snapped bridge. Water slowly permeated into my non-gortex shoes and my Rectus Femoris was beginning to crumble, but I activated my African power, which gave the ability to keep striving even when the odds were stacked against me. I felt like my fellow brothers Usain Bolt or Mohammed Ali as I paced through the rocky, uncovered terrain and into a region of snow and cold. It can be compared as going into the wardrobe of C. S. Lewis' Narnia. I was constantly motivated by the shouts and preaches from my African descendants which drift in my soul. Hallelujah, I made it. I scooped the ice into my bottle, kissed the Glacier and began my descent back to Brunus. Looking back on that day, it felt like leaving the Garden of Eden and reentering the imperfect World of Sin. I arrived at the first checkpoint, where Brunus was waiting. He treated me to a Skiwasser and then we slowly headed back down. My mind, legs and soul all needed a rest. That evening I welcomed all the food they gave, for I was famished.

When it was time to leave I greeted my adolescent friends and entered the car glowering for I had endure 5 hours of devilish torture and return to my mosquito filled home.